The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hen not eating

Any chicken experts here? I have a barred rock hen that is about 7-8 months old. We've had her for about 4 months and she was the picture of health up until about 10 days ago. Now, most of the time she stays off to the side by herself, kind of hunched up. She will show a tiny bit of interest in yummy food like scratch or bread, but will only put her head down a little and maybe eat a few little pieces, but thats it. I did crack an egg for her and she ate/drank some of that.

I've looked her up and down and cant see anything wrong with her, besides of course loosing weight now. I was reading about things like being egg bound or impacted crop but it doesnt seem like its either of those. ? I am considering finding a vet to take her to, although of course the bill will probably be hundreds of dollars. My chickens are more like pets though and if nothing else, I'd rather euthanize her than have her suffer.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

There's a great forum called backyardchickens.com that has a ton of chicken experts, you might get better results there. That's all I've got.

I hope she gets better.