The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lower level freestyles

Trying to get an idea here of how many lower level riders have performed a musical freestyle. I can't remember the last time I saw a musical freestyle performed at the show series I attend regularly - though I know I have seen them performed there before! So my question is - how many of you have performed a lower level freestyle? At what level, what was the response from the show organizers, and most importantly - did you have FUN? I am entertaining the idea so I would love to get input!
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

A Voice Halted

Last I saw there were freestyle movement lists down to First... I didn't see Training, so I'm not sure. Youtube has lots of First/Second level videos of musical freestyles. Pony Clubbers do them a lot it seems.
    Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
    Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

We just started showing Second, so it would be a First Level freestyle.
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

A Voice Halted

If you decide to do one, you may want to visit my free web site resource: www.equimusic.com
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

I made myself do Freestyles as soon as I got to 1rst level. Last year was my second attempt and I did Second level on Grey Mare, and 1rst level on The Princess. Both horses are new to dressage, but I didn't worry about having qualfying scores as I figured I had three tests to get them in before the freestyle night!

I really suck at putting freestyles together, but I figure if I just go out and try now, they won't seem so scarey and I will learn the little tricks and considerations now rather than at the more complicated levels.

So much more to think about with a freestyle than with a regular test and I have learned to put in some moments where I can make up (or use up) time in case something goes wrong.

Biggest problems I have had: When the weather forces the freestyle indoors...after doing the sound check outside, and practicing my entrance outside...now I know to insist on a second sound check (what sounded good outside was way too loud inside) and I have timed my entrance for either ring. The other big headache was when the sounds system cut in and out for my music during my test. Now I know what to do if that happens!

Was in fun? In hindsight, YES! It helps that the other riders are very supportive!

This weekend I am taking a Freestyle clinic with Karen Robinson....maybe learning from her will help me unlock the key to planning a competent pattern and music selection!

My very good friends just did a Freestyle at their last show
    The grey is a Hungarian Warmblood and the other one is a Haflinger. I think (for the first time) they did a great job; they said it was a lot of work to put it all together and they placed 4th out of 4 Pairs - but they did have a lot of fun!
    Judges comment was to match the music better with the movements of the horses (especially in the canter)...
    Here is the link:
    http://youtu.be/w2wcfqmzn30

My personal favourite is in the end when they trot away on the centerline ("butt to butt") and you hear the lyrics "everybody needs somebody"
    These two horses are as good friends/pasturemates as their owners are.....
    Classical Horsemanship

In pony club to compete at nationals you had to do a musical freestyle, even at training level. I had one for training and one for first I competed. Every show I went to, even championship type competitions, loved to see the freestyles because they would bring a large crowed. Judges also always seemed to love them, I would get at least 10 points higher on my musical freestyle ride than on my normal test. To be able to compete a freestyle you have to have qualifying scores at the level above, but they are a ton of fun and a nice relaxing way to end a show.
    From memory, the moved needed for TL were... your circles, halts on center line, your wiggle( curve/double diagonals trot), free walk and walk. Pretty simple to put together and a whole lot of fun to ride. The requirements are different in pony club and recognized, I don't know if normal rated needs a curve line.
    This is from 5-10 years ago so I hope it is still current.

I'm trying a 2nd Level freestyle in two weeks.

There are usually a couple of freestyles at the shows I go to.

Wonder why there isn't a lower score % for AA's vs Pros to qualify for Regionals like in the regular tests... anyone know?

A lot more people are doing them than there used to be. I used to be one of the only people ever riding freestyles at shows, and now I see them all of the time at all levels. I think I started at 4th level with freestyles and got my gold freestyle medal. With the new horse starting from scratch I've been doing the lower level ones to get my bronze freestyle medal, which they didn't have when I started. I did 1st and 2nd, which aren't that exciting, but they're still fun. We're doing 3rd now and will create a 4th level one in a month or so.

I think freestyle are more entertaining for most people than regular rides, so you'll get a positive response. I personally love them and think they're much more fun to ride. I always pick music I love that puts a chill down my back and a smile on my face, so I tend to rider better and the horse is more relaxed.

If you want to do it. Do it. You should always be riding for your own goals, so if this is something you want to do, you should do it. They certainly may riding more fun and entertaining for me.

I'm going to hijack this discussion with two newbie questions of my own. What do most people think of freestyles that use the same son? This is what I was considering: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMSr-HTzCwA

I love the idea of using a cover of a popular song. It's a little classier than having the lyrics in, but hopefully people will recognize and enjoy it.

Also, should the footfalls always match the beat? I've compared that song to the movement of my mare, and it's very close, but not always perfect. However, the overall sound matches the flow of the stride, I think.

(If different songs and perfectly matching footfalls is the norm, my backup plan is multiple Lady Gaga songs as played by an electric violin. I just hate when transitions sound too choppy though.)

Windemere--I think using one song for a whole freestyle is a great idea, but it's almost impossible to do as you don't have enough variation in tempo to get all three gaits. The song you posted might, kinda work for the walk, but it doesn't really have a beat. I've done something of that sort of thing with a symphonic version of Mary Poppins.

I love the idea of Lady Gaga. I think you have a lot to work with there, and the recognizability of it is a good thing.

You will here many people say the footfalls have to match the beat. I don't agree with that. I think that a little faster or slower tempo makes horses look better. Just watch the horse as you play different music that has different speeds and you will see which one brings out the horse more. You may have judges comment on it, but they're not usually very good.