The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Concussion maintenance

What are some ways to comfort a horse that has worked on ground that is harder than what they are used to? For example if you're at a horse show and the footing is less springy than thought or than what you have at home?

Magic Cushion Xtreme for the feet and sore no more under back on track no bows is my favorite.

Same here!!! Magic Cushion for the feet. Back on track wraps for the legs. We only add Sore no More if its really bad.

Second, though, make smart decisions. If you get there and the footing isn't great, cut the horses workload to something you think he will handle well.

If its a consistent problem, talk to your farrier about changing your pads out for something different, or adding packing to your pads.

Magic cushion is my favorite or horses get pads before they go. FEI horses stand on the magnetic foot pads.
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

OK but what about on horses that have pads? Would ice therapy/poultice (with standing wraps) on the leg tendons and leg joints after a class be helpful? This would be at USEF rated shows (no Sore No More or certain topical useable)

In those situations I usually cold hose a bit if possible, then a legal liniment and wraps. If I were really worried I might poultice, but it would depend on how much was done and how hard the ground was.

If I knew it was going to be an issue, I would be proactive by spending some time conditioning on harder ground. I think it's the sudden change that causes problems most of the time, so I condition on any ground I anticipate running into. Of course that may not apply depending on the specifics of the situation, for example jumping any good-sized jumps and landing on concrete is not going to be helped much by anything, though I think if the footing was so bad I was really worried no matter what I'd probably scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by jrchloe View Post
    OK but what about on horses that have pads? Would ice therapy/poultice (with standing wraps) on the leg tendons and leg joints after a class be helpful? This would be at USEF rated shows (no Sore No More or certain topical useable)
    I always use ice boots and a magnetic foot pad after showing on hard ground (well, on any ground for that matter--I'm so overprotective). I poultice (sore no sore) in the summer and use either sore no more or alcohol in the winter--you can use these products topically as directed at USEF rated shows.

Oh, and Magic Cushion for the ones that don't have pads.

Are you concerned about the feet or the joints?

I usually stand the horse in a tub of ice water (20 minutes) after jumping on hard ground for the feet, and ice boots for the legs/joints.

Pads don't make any difference.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).