The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

see latest news and secondary story about pimlico race track being quarantined and how kim meier-morani has lost one horse with other sick horses after an infected 2 yr-old filly was shipped into her farm from pimlico to be started .. her daughters homebred horse had to be put down after neurological damage from the virus and her 4* horse test run has been infected and is now hopefully recovering .. could happen to any of us ..
    richard

This kind of has me wondering what your average boarding/training barn can do to protect its horses from something like this happening. I know when I get a new boarder in, I insist on knowing it's medical history and make sure I look the horse over to make sure it *appears* healthy. But maybe more of us should take a quarantine time more seriously. I realize it's very hard to do that at some facilities, but it is a thought. What does everyone else think?
    Come to the darkside...we have cookies.

Anything and everything that comes into my barn has and always will do two weeks quaratine. It is not that hard to do and at times a much better alternative to what could be worse.

Originally posted by fargonefarm:
    This kind of has me wondering what your average boarding/training barn can do to protect its horses from something like this happening. I know when I get a new boarder in, I insist on knowing it's medical history and make sure I look the horse over to make sure it *appears* healthy. But maybe more of us should take a quarantine time more seriously. I realize it's very hard to do that at some facilities, but it is a thought. What does everyone else think?
    "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

I wouldhik quaranting any horse who goes out to ashow, clinic, whther they stay overnbight or not. I inow it wouldcause a "stinlk " amongboarders but, you're thinking of the welbeing of ALL the horses.s very hard to do that at some facilities, but it is a thought. What does everyone else think?

Proud Member of the Michigan, Helmet Nazi, and Farm Owners With No Social Lif[/quote]
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

We too do a 2 wk quarantine with any unknown horses it's better to be safe than sorry.

Since we do buy and sell on very small scale we try to get as much history on horses as we can before they are brought into the farm.

Keep up with vaccinations and make sure to follow good practices in the barn such as scrubbing buckets, disinfecting stalls, not going from horse to horse. It's easier in our barn b/c my mom owns the farm and cares for the horses herself so she knows what is being done.

This is very scary and I hope it does not spread more.

I'm curious as to how this terrible outbreak might affect our upcoming event season. I'm planning to take my horse to the VA starter trials in late March, but -- honestly -- that's too close to many of the "infected" locations for my comfort. How can this be monitored? Requiring current health/travelling certificates? I know it's not something that a 4, 6, or 10 month old coggins can detect. I just feel that as the coming competition season begins, there will be a possible spread of the virus to other states/areas. Am I just being dorky and paranoid?

persefne-I don't think it's dorky or paranoid.

I think it's the people who aren't being careful that are going to cause the spread of this. For example, we our local vet called this morning for a lesson and wants to bring her horse over. My mom told her we aren't allowing anyone to ship in right now (mainly her due to her know exposure to this). She said "it won't spread to delaware you are being paranoid." That is a vet speaking.

I think it is going to spread because there are still a lot of people who don't know about it and a lot of trainers who are just focused on making money. Not all of them but some of them will continue the spread b/c they will not shut down or quarantine properly.

I had just bought a canter horse and the trainer immediately called me and let me know what was going on. The horse had just left the track and was on her farm but we decided to quarantine him for the recommended three weeks. I will go to pick him up myself next weekend and he will be quarantine again when he comes to our farm. She had been taking his temp everyday and is a very caring trainer who is concerned about the effect this will have on the whole horse industry.

Kim's barn is only 45 min from us and that is scary. There are many people here who are just not knowledegable enough to follow the correct procedures. I wonder how it will impact eventing season too and what the best preventative methods will be.

Originally posted by Jleegriffith:
    persefne-I don't think it's dorky or paranoid.
    Thank you! And I completely agree with you on all of this:
    I think it's the people who aren't being careful that are going to cause the spread of this.... I think it is going to spread because there are still a lot of people who don't know about it and a lot of trainers who are just focused on making money. Not all of them but some of them will continue the spread b/c they will not shut down or quarantine properly.

There are many people here who are just not knowledegable enough to follow the correct procedures. I wonder how it will impact eventing season too and what the best preventative methods will be.

There is another side to this:

Outbreaks happen.

They spread, horses die, medical research happens. All of the things we vaccinate for now at one time were on the "outbreak". There is a chance my horse could die from this, but i'm not going to keep him locked in a bubble all his life. You can put every horse on a 2 week quartine, and have someone bring it to your farm on a bridle.

The virus can travel by air 35ft. On humans, tack, etc. You pass a neighbor and shake hands and bring it back to your horse! I agree with quartine proceedures for many reasons, but at the same time, this virus may not be controlled by that.

I am very sorry for the deaths of the horses, and I hope that not another horse has to suffer or die from this virus, but the only hope is that in their death we can find treatment or a cure.

My personal plan of action:

1)i vaccinated with the live virus a little while ago (knowing my horse had not been exposed)

2)took his vital signs again knowing he was healthy.

3)got a vet check, looked into and adjusted his feed (with help of a professional with a PhD in equine nut.)

4)made the effort to know the horses around him, how they usually act, what they look like, so i could notice if any of them wern't feeling well.

5)make sure if i'm not at the farm someone is taking notice of him.

Everyone wants to fix this with a vaccination, which at this point isn't going to happen. Keeping your horse in good care, physically, mentally, and nutritionally is very important if they would get the virus so they can recover. Also catching it early, so not just knowing how your horse usually acts, but a horse around it which may be sick.

Meredith, I think you are wise to follow those procedures and I'm really happy you are out there doing that. But what worries me the most are the hundreds (thousands, even) of other people out there who hold the mindset, "oh, this is another one of those things we can't control...it won't happen to me" and continue on without a thought or concern.

I'm not worried about my horses on a daily basis, at home. What bothers me is the idea of shipping to a horse park, stabling with hundreds of other horses for one night, and then leaving the next day. I don't know what's been done by whom before I get there or while I'm there. I don't know the other people, the other horses, or their background/care procedures. I don't know where they come from, where they've been, or what they've been doing. I can take care of my horses to the utmost degree of precaution, but when I leave my barn, I don't know what else is going on out there. I just worry about the obvious spreading of this virus, right now, and I can't help but get anxious when I think of it, in terms of upcoming travel, event stabling, and shows. Maybe jleegriffith and I are the only people who think I'm not being panicky and paranoid?

Well, I do know that Pimlico and Laurel are supposed to be under quarantine and that a horse this week has also tested positive at Bowie track... My friend that shows in that area was told it was ok if you had to show but if not it was better to stay home by her vet. Then again, everyone has his or her own opinions on this topic. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif (However, this reminds me of the same thing that happened at Columbia a few months ago.)
    It is the very difficult horses that have the most to give you.
    ---Lendon Gray

I really like his character. If he was a person now, he\'d be my best friend.
    ---Ian Miller about Big Ben

Where can I find "reader friendly" information about this disease?

I think someone in Lansing had a horse that contracted this...over a year ago. My fiance's relatives in fact. Some "Herpes" virus. The horse was taken to MSU and treated. I don't know more than this.

Meredith Clark mentioned giving her horse a live vacceine... what does this do?

Thanks.

if you are looking for info, you might try contacting the vet school at Ohio State. they aided the University of Findlay when their english barn contracted the virus. there are two barns at Findlay, one is english (110 horses, including two year olds for starting) and the western (300+ incl. outside training horses). they are about 5 or so miles apart, but often W & E students share housing.

the barn was immediately quarantined when more than 20 horses had a fever. the students were limited to upper classmen only, were not allowed to have any contact with west. students, including in class, mess hall, dorm rooms, etc. many students doubled up to keep themselves and their clothes separated.

long story short, 110 horses: at one point 80% showed fever, i think about 15-20% showed neuro signs, they lost 14 horses. OSU came up immediately to help the vet staff, gathered a lot of information on the disease, and helped keep it from spreading.

results: the remaining horses recovered well, and not a single horse at the western or surrounding farms contracted it. it can be quarantined if done correctly.

i would quarantine all new horses on my property as well as those leaving. i hope i never have to go through what my buds did at Findlay, and i hope no one else does either.

sorry that was so long winded. have their been any other reports of EHV-1 aside from the MD cases? any in VA or PA? let's all hope Kim Morani's other horses come through okay.
    Day Care, Preschool, Grade School, High School, College, Job: When do I get to PLAY??

"the students were limited to upper classmen only"

mean to say the only students with access to the horses and the barn property were upper classmen. brain thought faster than fingers could type.
    Day Care, Preschool, Grade School, High School, College, Job: When do I get to PLAY??

Where did you read about Kim's horse? that's just awful!

Just a quick question about quarantine - How do you guys do it?

Do you have separate stabling areas? Separate turn-out areas?

I'm very interested in knowing because I don't think there would be a way to quarantine at my barn. We have one barn with 13 stalls. How separate do you have to keep horses in order for quarantine to really be effective?

i have a small paddock with run in behind the barn that is good for one/two horses. any one new goes there for a good two weeks. no one (horses) have complained yet. i don't have boarders though. anyone with boarders have a suggestion?

InVa-You can read about Kim's horse in Breaking News on the Chronicle's home page.
    When you dream, dream big.

Thanks for the information. This is great practice for all kinds of diseases, not just EHV. There has been an episode of strangles that was spread amongst several farms in our area. What I would like to see happen is a way to post to the various horse owners in an area when an outbreak of a contagious disease has occurred in your area. The reason behind this is one of the barns continued to go to schooling shows with their "uneffected" horses. This caused the outbreak to be spread to a lot more stables because the "uneffected" horses came down with the disease a few days after the show (i.e. they were contagious when they were at the show).

InVA: The outbreak is on the COTH Breaking News section.
    Marquetry Magic - "E-Bay" 11MAR1995 - 27DEC2008 - RIP wonderful boy