The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What is this horse worth?

17 year old imported warmblood gelding 16'1 hands. Competed through I-1 with scores lower 60's. Flexor tendon injury over a year ago, currently sound and still showing. Not a huge mover. Not super flashy just steady eddy type. Clean x-rays from 2 years ago.

What kind of scores at shows? Past and recent?

PSG and I1 scores of 58%-62% past and most recent 62% at I1 in March

A 17 y/o that could get someone their silver but isn't going to win anything would be 15k - 30k around here.

I paid 12K for a similar horse, same age, same scores.

10-15K

I know what PSG stands for but what is I-1?

I-1 is Intermediare - Test 1
    I-2 = Intermediare - Test 2
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeydoodle View Post
    10-15K
    I agree with this.

In NY, if the horse is easy to ride and likely to stay sound for at least 2 years - you may be able to get closer to 40k

Quote Originally Posted by dudleyc View Post
    In NY, if the horse is easy to ride and likely to stay sound for at least 2 years - you may be able to get closer to 40k
    Wow! In this area you can get a horse like the OP describes but aged 10-12 without a history of injury for a similar price. You would think that in this age of internet marketing and relatively easy transport of horses, that people in areas like your wouldn't shop there and the price would drop accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by flyracing View Post
    Wow! In this area you can get a horse like the OP describes but aged 10-12 without a history of injury for a similar price. You would think that in this age of internet marketing and relatively easy transport of horses, that people in areas like your wouldn't shop there and the price would drop accordingly.
    I would think a sound, 10-yr-old that is earning low 60's at I-1 would be VERY hard to find for $40K! That seems to be the going price for 4th level horses of that age.

I think this range of prices quoted is interesting. I would think $20-30K if the horse has several good years left in him and is straightforward to ride. Maybe even a bit more since he has a score of 62% at I-1 this spring!

If the price is $10-15K as someone else suggested, tell me where the horse is and I will come try him ASAP!
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

10-15 is waht everyone seems to pay but yet no one ever sees advertised for. LOL
    Qualified Saddle Fitter with the S.M.S.
    www.ravenwoodaussies.com

Thank you for all of your replies. I am actually looking to buy the horse not sell it. I have NEVER purchased a riding horse. I usually buy them very young or buy broodmares so I feel a little out of the loop. Said horse is priced at 35k. I was thinking he is worth more like 25k. Interesting that so many people think 10-15k. I can't seem to find ANYTHING with a show history at PSG for less than 25k.

Quote Originally Posted by flyracing View Post
    Wow! In this area you can get a horse like the OP describes but aged 10-12 without a history of injury for a similar price.
    Let us see a couple of them.

I can't put a price on this horse without seeing and riding him, and even then the answer is always "it depends". You know, the horse is worth what the buyer is willing to pay.

I have a 1989 GMC truck that is still running great. I love this truck! What is it worth for sale? Junk price. To me, it is priceless.

I will say that for me personally, I would not buy any horse that had a previous soft tissue injury. That is taking too much risk, especially on an older horse.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnest2 View Post
    Thank you for all of your replies. I am actually looking to buy the horse not sell it. I have NEVER purchased a riding horse. I usually buy them very young or buy broodmares so I feel a little out of the loop. Said horse is priced at 35k. I was thinking he is worth more like 25k. Interesting that so many people think 10-15k. I can't seem to find ANYTHING with a show history at PSG for less than 25k.
    You would be surpised when you offer 15k cash in hand....iv seen a lot of high priced schoolmasters and some horses with great potential with huge price tags be offered at a much lower price with cash.
    Don't squat with yer spurs on

Port of Call "Cruise" 3/4 Thoroughbred -1/4 Clyde 4/15/98-3/1/12 RIP my handsome boy

Quote Originally Posted by Cruisesmom View Post
    You would be surpised when you offer 15k cash in hand....iv seen a lot of high priced schoolmasters and some horses with great potential with huge price tags be offered at a much lower price with cash.
    Again I'll ask...show me the evidence.

You're lucky to get ANY decent horse for 15k.

I would pay 25-35 IF the horse had no soundness problems in his history at age 17

Advertised price VS selling price can be very, very different. And unless you know all parties involved, or are good friends with a loose lipped groom or WS, it can be hard to really understand how frequently horses are sold for much, much less than advertised price.

Off the top of my head I can think of at least 3.

One YR schoolmaster originally ad for $200K and the last time I saw the ad it was $25K. Heard 'thru the grapvine' final price was less than that.

One "4th/PSG" horse originally advertised for $45K. Negotiated to $25k before the buyers got on the plane, and sold for MUCH less than $10k after the vetting.

One (still very green) large homebred warmblood gelding(quite sexy fellow) that an owner had originally wanted $40K (and he sure looked like he would be worth that much) sold for under $15K after the very interesting hock xrays (both hocks.)

(I know at least a few more but I'm too lazy to write it out)

But that said, more than scores, vetting and age go into the 'value' of a horse. I would want a lot more money for a horse that is push button trailer load, your husband could trail ride, could retire 'downwards' as a super safe local cross rail hunter, etc.

Also, how much 'maintenance' is currently put into the horse ? I would have a lot more 'faith' in a horse that lives on hay, grain and sunshine and does it's job without copious amounts of adequan, legend, joint injections, 'lamina-saver' type compounds, twice yearly saddle fittings, monthly visits from the chiro, massage, etc., etc.

When taking advice about these things always consider that those in the business of breeding and selling horses are always going to want to encourage prices higher, and there are others with strong motivation to encourage prices in the other direction.

Around here a 17 year old, sound and showing at I-1 would not go for less than $20K and more likely in the $30K range with modest movement.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF