The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddles for a horse with a straight back?

I am looking for suggestions on saddles which have little to no front to back arc in the tree. I am currently using an Albion slk ultima platinum saddle - which rocks from front to back on my gelding.

The Albion rep said it may help to switch the panels on the saddle to something with a more substantal rear gusset - however that does not fix the tree being generally too curvy. He also suggested the new Albion flatback treed saddle, as well as the Prestige Milan saddle.

Another Custom Saddlery rep reccpmended the Wolfgang Expression as it apparently is also built on a flatter tree.

If you have a horse with a straight back, what saddle do you use? Likes/dislikes? Quaility? Cost? Thanks

My gelding has moderate withers, some hollow behind them, and little to no front to back arc.

I got a Hastilow Concept saddle, $2600, for my very flatbacked, and also shortbacked arabian mare. However, I had to get this one because it could be customized with shorter, upswept panels for her.

The Fairfax is built on the same tree and costs a whole lot less, $1850. It is a lovely saddle, very nice leather, and hte panels are lined with Prolite foam for additional protection. The seat is not deep, has exterior blocks. Twist is on the wider side, but not horrid at all. I had a Fairfax at first, but the panels were just too long for my mare.

arabsrock

The Bates/Wintec line of saddles have a new panel design that is rather flat from front to back. I had tried one on my curvy-backed WB and the back edges dug into his loins because they were too flat for him.

But it sounds like you are looking at more upper-end makes of saddles...just thought I'd throw that out there.