The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Who to breed to - mare by Secretary of State

Okay Racing Peeps, we've bred this mare to warmblood stallions multiple times and now we're thinking a TB is in order. The baby would be kept and raced. The mare has given us the most lovely warmblood crosses. They all have an engine and are as athletic as cats, so we're hoping to have some fun with a TB youngster out of this mare. She's nicely bred, I think, and I'm familiar with many TB stallions, but I've never, ever bred for the racetrack before, so I'm you all can help me narrow down the field of prospective baby daddies.
    The mare's registered name is Bird of Flight. She's by Secretary of State and out of Top of the Round, by Gold Crest. Her full pedigree can be found here:
    http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...ts_indicator=Y

We're in VA and wouldn't want to go much farther south than KY or farther north than PA. Thank you all so much for any help you can offer!
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Your mare was unraced, as were both her sire and dam. Her 2nd dam won 1 of 26 starts. So there isn't much history of success at the track in the family.

If I wanted to attempt to breed a racehorse out of her--bearing in mind that it would probably be both cheaper and more logical to buy an unrelated weanling or yearling--I would look for a stallion who produces a high percentage of runners and winners. I would probably focus on that criteria pretty much to the exclusion of everything else.

This mare would not normally be considered for a broodmare with her pedigree and race record, but if you are up for racing the baby yourself and she does produce athletic foals maybe you will have some fun! I would stick with very proven stallions that get a lot of winners. Maybe a good old stallion that is not commercial and you can breed cheaply to, but still gets quality runners....something like Devil His Due ($3500) or Slew City Slew (2500) or Pure Prize (5k) in KY. You may be able to get in cheaper to the first two.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to foal in PA as well for the breeders awards and restricted races.