The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Acute case of founder following neurectomy?

Has anyone heard of a horse developing an acute case of founder (sinking) within days of having a neurectomy?

The horse I am asking about had a neurectomy to make him more comfortable (pasture sound) from pain related to his navicular syndrome . The procedure went well and the horse was receiving antibiotics and bute 2x a day. He was doing well for three days post op and then presented with a terminal case of laminitis which lead to founder and his subsequent euthanasia.

The horse was considered an ideal candidate for the surgery, was in good weight and health otherwise.
    friend of bar*ka

Some people's "good weight" is actually obese, and sometimes these horses have metabolic problems which contribute to founder or laminitis. If the horse was on the edge, stress or changes in his feet could have put him over the edge to founder but really and truly a vet whould explain to you how a horse might founder from these kinds of issues. Even non-obese horses can have metablolic problems with sugars and founder. I see that the horse had to be put down. others may comment, I am only guessing, but it does not seem at all unreasonable to me.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Was there a rupture of the DDFT? My vet warned me that this is the most serious possible side effect/occurance after neurectomy and that it is a death sentence for the horse should this happen. It usually occurs if the navicular bone is so jagged that it severs the DDFT, which is why he won't perform the surgery on horses with that pathology, but he did say that he had seen it happen in a horse without the jagged bone.

At any rate, very sorry for the horse's owner.

I appreciate your input. The horse was evaluated and treated at one of the top surgery centers in the mid Atlantic and they described him as being in good weight for his height and activity level.

Of course some kind of metabolic disorder could just have been cooking but blood tests for such a problem were not indicated based on the visual assessment made by the vet.

The vet was shocked that the horse had foundered.
    friend of bar*ka

Kind of a long shot, but is it possible that he had some kind of post-surgical (or unrelated) infection despite the antibiotics?

Years ago I had a gelding that foundered from a systemic infection. Fine one day, legs swollen like sausages and foundered the next, poor guy.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Wayside. Thank you for your post. His temp was okay prior to the surgery but he could have had some kind infection just starting I suppose. His manure was normal and he was eating and drinking just fine until the day he presented with the pain and accompanying posture.
    friend of bar*ka