The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should I move barns?

Ok so my horse is still relatively new at the new barn (2 weeks). However she has so many bite marks and bite wounds that I cannot even saddle her up. It looks to be 2 months needed to heal up all the wounds. And if she gets more that may be 3 months. I feel like my whole summer is wasted and depressed. There is no way I can put a saddle on her anytime soon even while buying expensive sprays and creams for her. They do help but every day or every other day she has new bites.
    The bo is very experienced with horses and always assures me this is typical. Well i've never experienced anything with a new barn/herd to this extent. My horse also seems tired like she's been chased all morning long and then bitten once she's out of energy. I did see a horse(perhaps an endurance champ) chasing her around and round until she had no energy left and gave up.
    Is it alright for the bo to always say that this is normal typical? I was looking forward to this summer but now it could be fall by the time I can ride my horse at the rate this is going.

Yes, move. ASAP.
    "Reason is, and ought to be, the slave of passions." David Hume

If you can't change the turnout situation, change barns. That is unacceptable, and if your horse can't be put in a private paddock, she shouldn't be at that barn at all.

I know but I feel bad because the bo has 40 years experience and I have 20 and she will most likely use that against me. But i've introduced so many horses into herd before that got bit and chased but not to this extent. This actually seems to be an aggresiveness problem not a typical newcomer senario.

I'd be outta there like a shot. No way is that normal and I own a low in the pecking order horse. When I moved him to pasture with a herd last fall, he got one wound from scraping himself on a fence post and zero bites. He was chased briefly the first day and virtually not at all the next. By the third, he was on allowed on the fringe of the herd.

Look out for your horse, don't worry about the BO or whatever she might "use against you" (not sure what you mean there).
    Just move and she will know why you did.

Quote Originally Posted by paintedworld View Post
    I know but I feel bad because the bo has 40 years experience and I have 20 and she will most likely use that against me.
    So what? I've met people with 40 years of experience with horses that I STILL wouldn't trust near a horse. Experience can be good or bad, and in this case, obviously something isn't working out. Your poor horse is obviously not fitting in with the herd, and it's up to you, her owner, to make it right.

Doing something wrong for 40 years doesn't suddenly make it right.
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by paintedworld View Post
    I know but I feel bad because the bo has 40 years experience and I have 20 and she will most likely use that against me.
    Use it against you for what? It's your horse and if you want to leave, leave. It doesn't sound like a good situation for your horse.

No need to make it personal, a simple "I don't think this situation is the right one for my horse" should be sufficient as far as an explanation goes.

Ok what should I do during 30 days notice? It might take me 3 weeksto find an ideal barn. I can't move immediately as there is 30 days notice and most barns have a waiting list and want you to move in first of the month, etc, etc. Plus I have to find another barn which is hard. There's nothing too ideal in my area.

Oh I meant she might have a lil argument about me having way less experience in years than she has with horses.

I would move my horse asap. Your horse is too tired to run away from his pasture bully so he gets bitten. Bites/kicks are a part of going to a new barn, but you arent able to ride for months because they are so bad? Thats not normal.

If you cant move, ask about a private paddock, or for your horse to have day turnout while the others have night turnout.

Well I can't move asap because it's not that easy. Im in an area where every barn has a waiting list or you need to notify them 15-30 days before you move in.
    Last edited by paintedworld; May. 5, 2011 at 02:40 AM.

Good for you.

Yeah good for me but now the hard part is finding a decent barn. There are some nice ones but their waiting list time is usually 3 months.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Anything's better than where you are.

And, if you need to, move Miss Mare out to a temporary place, while you're waiting out the three months it will take you to get into a place you really want to be.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Could you get your vet to officially advise private/"medical" turnout? That might get the BO to do something, since he doesn't seem to care about your concerns.

Get her out asap before she has a worse injury than a bite mark, like a fractured leg.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by mypaintwattie View Post
    Get her out asap before she has a worse injury than a bite mark, like a fractured leg.
    Yep. I've been there and then I've been told, they're just horses. Look out for your horse.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

If you can't get in at a regular boarding barn for a few months, ask your vet and farrier if either of them know of a client with a private farm who would be willing to take a temporary boarder. If you've got a few months for these bites to heal anyway, you won't be riding, so you don't need a ring for now. You just need somewhere safe for your horse with decent care.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

After you have moved, please 'out' the location of this clueless BM so any of us in that area will be aware to PM you for more details, to prevent some other horse from injury.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.