The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry People are sick

And ignorant and cruel. But what else is new? It's videos like this that make me lose hope in humanity, and the main reason I'd rather be a vet than a doctor.

I'm sorry, I don't know what I mean to accomplish by posting this, but sometimes anger is helped by sharing with others..

How can anybody think this is okay or funny?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNhsW...layer_embedded

I couldn't even finish watching that....it made me sick.

I couldn't even watch beyond where the guy is hitting on the downed horse. I didn't even make it halfway through.

I understand if they need to get him up but if that were case I would think they would unhitch him. The guy was hitting him in anger.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I have no words for the stupidity of these people. If I had my way, I would love to do the same to them. It saddens me beyond words that this is happening and theres nothing I can do about it.

Please hug your ponies for me

I stopped watching when the horse went down as I knew from the earlier posters what was coming next. Right before the horse went down it looked like it was struggling.

Grrrrr!

Read the comments. Someone found the idi*ts address and phone number. This happened in Romania. All info, even the twits name , is posted.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

The most depressing thing is that kind of stuff is all over You Tube. Try searching for miniature horses and see all the videos of adults riding little mini horses around. So sad.

I swear to God! Some people need to be strung up and shot! What gets to me was the constant stream of laughter. In what world was any of that funny?!?!
    Absolutely disgusting!
    "Reason is, and ought to be, the slave of passions." David Hume

You know, I went a couple of days without really going online at all. Sunday I checked my e-mail and posted on a goofy Off-topic Day thread, but other than that it's really been since Friday since I've really been online.

I think I'm going to make a habit of that. Today I am thoroughly depressed at all the horrible, cruel videos that were waiting for me.

I hate people.

I watched only until the he started hitting on the downed horse, I couldn't watch any further.
    I'm torn between sadness and anger. Some people deserve to be shot for the things they do.

What is there to do? Theres absolutely no worse feeling than sitting comfortably at the computer watching a horse worlds away be tortured. Putting aside the option of ignoring it.. what can I do, and what can we do to stop this?

Are there animal cruelty laws in Romania? Can I submit it as a story to news channels? I am so sick of sitting around doing nothing.

The guys sick laugh makes me puke, incredibly sad that someone can laugh at his poor animal's misfortune. But my, they're sophisticated enough to post a video clip on youtube.

Btw the title means "going to the sheep with the fainting horse." They have another pathetic clip of the same horse and bad sled full of hay, presumably hay to feed the sheep. If they thought the horse was fainting (a medical problem) it makes beating the horse even more pointless than if they (wrongly) might have attributed the horse laying down as stubborn. Just sick.

There are new animal protection laws and some local newsreports of gross animal cruelty also made it to youtube. Nothing excuses such cruelty, but let it be said that the people of Romania have long suffered themselves, communism ruined the country and before communism it wasn't all that great either. In the decades since the wall & Soviet Union fell, progress has been made, but painfully slow it seems.

In this news report:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMGfm...eature=related
    the news crew and bystanders helped a horse that was down for hours in the cold winter. They turn the owner, a gypsy they report, over to the police.

Quote Originally Posted by Rena View Post
    In this news report:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMGfm...eature=related
    the news crew and bystanders helped a horse that was down for hours in the cold winter. They turn the owner, a gypsy they report, over to the police.
    Ever hear of the Appleby horse fair in the UK?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzJ0jc_dbGg
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

The thing I do not get is why people video things like this and post them on the internet to start with.

Obviously the guy with the camera is not an innocent bystander as he is carrying a pitch fork.

I didn't watch the video but my sister spend half a year in Romania working in an orphanage. There are no anti cruelty laws, horses are working livestock and nothing more. What can you expect from a country that treats it's orphans like garbage?

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Ever hear of the Appleby horse fair in the UK?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzJ0jc_dbGg
    Have only watched the first minutes, but at least, the Appleby horses look well fed.

When I see such cruelty, I'm always reminded how easily we are spoiled and forget our own (cruel) past here in the US and sometimes, Western Europe.

No, cultures are not equally valuable, some aspects are horrible -- as was our own culture not so long ago. But saying out-loud that some cultures need to evolve into something kinder, more respectful of human rights and animal welfare ... well that's considered non-PC by some who have never experienced nor read or learned about the cruelty of some of our human heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rena View Post
    Have only watched the first minutes, but at least, the Appleby horses look well fed.

It would be pretty hard to find a gypsy cob that looked anything BUT well fed.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

That laugh is going to ring in my ears for awhile to come - what a cruel laugh. I hope they get what they deserve in the end.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.