The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Today we formally retired our eventer

We had actually retired Impulsive from jumping 3 years ago, when we discovered extensive bone fragments and DJD in her knee...3 weeks earlier she had been schooling intermediate, my daughter was asked to join YR by Kyle Carter and she was aiming for her first 1 star that spring. The surgeon was floored that she had never given any indication that there was an issue, she never took a bad step until one day she came in from the field lame. The damage was so bad that what should have been a 10-15 minute procedure took over 30 minutes. Jen continued to ride her on the flat. Actually, her dressage got even better! I think because she didn't have the tension she had at an event. She was so incredible the last time Jen rode her, I talked about taking up dressage with her. Unfortunately, the knee is getting worse and the milage of doing advanced is catching up with her. After Jen's last ride last month, her knee really bothered her a week later when my farrier was out. I attempted to ride her last week, her knee kept giving at the walk and she was lame when I attempted a trot. After consulting with my farrier and Jen, we decided it was time. Today, my farrier pulled her shoes. No fanfare, no ceremony. It was a bittersweet moment. Pictures of her:
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    Lori T
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Bless you for doing the right thing...give her a pat for me

May you be repaid many times over for keeping her fat and lazy in retirement. It is hard to hear her career is over but heartening to hear how caring and sensitive you are to her needs.

Such a beautiful mare. She is lucky to be retired by such kind and loving people as you.
    I read your blog, and I am quite teary. good luck to your beautiful mare.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Such a beautiful mare. She is lucky to be retired by such kind and loving people as you.
    I read your blog, and I am quite teary. good luck to your beautiful mare.
    Thanks, Fred! When we retired her, A Fine Romance was one of the stallions we considered for breeding Imp to. We decided not to breed her, since she was a maiden mare and I was afraid there might be complications...a decision we have mixed emotions about. We would have loved to have had a foal from her.
    Lori T
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

I loved reading her story, I hope she has a long and happy retirement. How lucky you were to have a horse that special in your lives.
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique