The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What's your workout routine??

I have always been an avid runner and (finally) can run again after a few months of recurrent knee problems. Always loved how much muscle and endurance it builds for riding. So, my workout routine is pretty easy: running and ab workout every other day, and on the off day, do free weights and/or push ups.

So, what is your workout routine to stay in shape for riding???
    Who say's your best friend has to be human?

I did a lifestyle overhaul beginning in Feb, including a work-out routine. I alternate between running (started the C25K program in Feb, currently running between 5-6 km, 30-35 min), doing "hill" intervals on the treadmill for 30 min, vinyasa yoga for 1-1.5 hrs, and riding for 1 hr (to my shock once I got a good HRM I learned that in an hour of riding, not very strenuous flatwork-only riding at that, I can burn upwards of 500 cals).
    I do one of these daily, on weekends if I don't work I'll usually ride plus do another exercise. I have one off day a week when I just do easy hatha yoga.

Yoga as frequently as I can! Sometimes that means I'll do it pretty consistently for a couple of weeks or uh, like right now, pretty intermittently. I found that yoga (power flow especially) is a great complement to riding and helped me build muscle. I used to run 3-4x a week a couple of years ago but it was just too hard on my body--although it did allow me to eat more! Woo!

Quote Originally Posted by theblondejumper View Post
    I used to run 3-4x a week a couple of years ago but it was just too hard on my body--although it did allow me to eat more! Woo!
    This (sadly) is one of the reasons I love to run so much... running= being able to eat dessert and not feel the least bit guilty about it
    Who say's your best friend has to be human?

Pilates 2x/week, Yoga 3x/week.

Crossfit as often as I can go with work schedule.

At home, pushups, pullups, abs, jump rope, don't run as often as I used to but occasionally take the dogs for a spin around the block.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Another one for the yoga! It's so amazing for strength, flexibility, balance... everything! And great for keeping your cool on a horse that is determined to do the exact opposite of whatever you ask that day.

Does anyone have any inner leg exercises that are particularly useful? I've found this is the part of me that lost the most tone in my 3 years off. I know they make those squeeze things you can put between your knees, but the last thing I need is more exercise equipment.
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMutt View Post
    Another one for the yoga! It's so amazing for strength, flexibility, balance... everything! And great for keeping your cool on a horse that is determined to do the exact opposite of whatever you ask that day.
    BIG DITTO!!

Face paced walking/jogging on the treadmill. Ive never been a jogger or runner. Never saw the point of running unless something was chasing me! But you dont see fat runners! haha We also have a Bow Flex so I do that 3 times a week along with the treadmill. When I walk to and from my barn, I do walking lunges. When Im cleaning the barn, I make the tasks Im doing into a sort of curl or make sure Im keeping a quick pace to at least elevate my heart rate some.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

HA-beachbody.com chick here

P90X
    Insanity
    Turbofire

Starting Insanity Asylum in June

At THIS moment I have toned down the weight training to enjoy spring running

Starting up Crossfit because as of now, my off horse workout routine is pretty non existent.

Free weights, soloflex weights, core with weights, romans, sparring, kickboxing, weight bag, stretching.

I don't think I do any "organized" or name brand workouts. The Soloflex is name brand but it's the easiest way to say weight work that's not free motion.

My cardio is the sparring, kickboxing and weight bag. The stretching is just full body stretches multiple times per week. Not yoga or pilates really since I don't get into any named positions. I mainly do stretching while watching TV at night on the living room floor.
    I don't run. I'd get killed on these streets (narrow, winding, no visibilty and no shoulder) and I'm not the type to drive somewhere safer to run. I hate treadmills or any overly repetitive motion things. I joke that the only way I'd run is if Leatherface was chasing me with a chainsaw.

And then only if I didn't have a gun.

Weight work 5 days per week. Alternating between high reps/low weights (on machine) and low reps/high weights. (free weights)

I find having as much muscle as possible works best for me. Multiple bouts of Lyme disease and arthritis and worn out joints...the more muscle I have holding everything together the better off I am.

Plus muscle works for you 24/7.

All of it supported by nutrition...gotta have the better octane fuel to run the vehicle so it doesn't break down.

I;ve been wanting to take up Zumba, my daughter teaches classes. Unfortunately while none of my daughters inherited the Horse Gene...they all got the rhythm gene somewhere and it wasn't from me. I can screw up the Electric Slide...I can only imagine what would happen in a Zumba class. And my daughter is a professional dance choreographer too, so her classes are stinking *hard.* But it looks like tons of fun and awesome for cardio, core and balance.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Another Beach body chick here.

Chalene extreme completely rebuilt my body. And the core strength I got from that program has been so helpful on my hard jumping horse.

I have now added a little bit of Brazilain Butt lift and Turbo fire.
    Turbo fire for the cardio aspects that I tend to neglect. My knees are too trashed to run regularly.

I will say that the work outs I do are so unbelievably helpful in keeping me sound as I ride multiple horses a day. I had heard it, but never really believed that cross training could help so much.
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

Running. The trick is fitting it in with the riding and all the hours I have to work.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

I run 15-20 mi a week, and try to fit in core stuff on running days. I generally do two shorter runs during the week - one a little faster, one a little hillier, and one long run on the weekends. Having the extra VO2 max and core strength makes a huge difference in my riding. Ditto on having trouble finding time to fit everything in!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorsesjp View Post
    Another Beach body chick here.

Chalene extreme completely rebuilt my body. And the core strength I got from that program has been so helpful on my hard jumping horse.

THUMBS UP!

Don't you LOVE Chalene? I swear her energy is so girl positive.

Do repetitive elbow lifts with glass of wine to mouth count???
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    THUMBS UP!

Don't you LOVE Chalene? I swear her energy is so girl positive.
    Are her DVDs expensive? I'd love to try something like that.

I hike with the dog at least 5 hrs a week. I have been an occassional runner for a while, but recently got serious, I'm working thru C25K, with my goal (for now ) the Bmore half marathon in Oct. Then I'm going to start the bike and swim training for a half Ironman.

I've added weights this week, stacking to keep my heart rate up.

I want to give yoga a try, and try the new 10min Beach Bodies thing.

LBR

PS- I WISH wine glass curls counted
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Quote Originally Posted by theblondejumper View Post
    Are her DVDs expensive? I'd love to try something like that.
    http://www.beachbody.com/category/fi...ams/extreme.do

Turbofire and Chalean Extreme