The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    where the truck's a Ford and the tractor's green

Default Drugging at USEF "C" shows? Allowed??

So this might seem like a dumb question, but is this allowed? If not, how do you request someone be present to perform random drug testing? Not wanting to open a can of worms, but there are some "C" USEF recognized horse shows in our area over the summer in which I'm 100% certain drugging is more the rule than the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Rio Blanco View Post
    So this might seem like a dumb question, but is this allowed? If not, how do you request someone be present to perform random drug testing? Not wanting to open a can of worms, but there are some "C" USEF recognized horse shows in our area over the summer in which I'm 100% certain drugging is more the rule than the exception.
    Of course its not allowed. I can actually remember on "C" show where they did random drug tests. Of course they picked my horse, the one with the shy bladder. The guy literally stood in our trailer for hours waiting for him to pee.

No. It's not allowed at any USEF show.

Drug testing is usually not done by request, but I guess you could call USEF and ask them about it.

All USEF rated shows have to follow the same drug rules. I'm not sure you can request that someone come, but I'm sure if you call the Drug and Medication hotline someone can tell you.

We had a (drug) problem with our local shows years ago. We all knew a couple of trainers were not playing straight with the rules. Someone (she confirmed it to me) called the USEF and we have had drug testing ever since. Ya ! My own horse was chosen because he fell asleep at the ingate. Made sense to me.

Ok, that's what I was thinking, just making sure. And no, there has yet to be a drug tester at ANY of these shows and people are quite open with the fact that they drug. So just call USEF and problem solved?

Makes me a bit ill to know that there are trainers, and I have proof, that regularly drug their horses in our local and not so local circuit.

If you can't ride your horse without pharmaceutical assistance to keep it calm, you need to stay home. Period.

When trainers condone it and make it an open practice, that is just not right.

I did AQHA shows growing up and the horse I was hired to ride was drugged beyond belief to appear sound enough to get through the day. The drug tester was there and looking for horses to test.

I casually suggested my mount because I knew she'd fail and we'd be excused. The owner refused to to pull her and I was 15 and alone in a strange city hours from home so I couldn't force the issue for fear I'd be left alone penniless and far from home.

But the drug tester did! They tested our whole trailer and we were sent home. It was a win-win for me. Didn't get pointed out as the one who threw the owner under the bus and I didn't have to ride the mare with a terrible lameness issue.

This thread reminds me of one of our locals a few years back. A (obviously non-horsey) mom of a pony kid was leading her daughter's pony up to the show arenas when she called loudly and proudly to her kid's trainer from across the warmups "The pony has been lunged for a half an hour and has had her Dex so she's all ready to go!" Awesome. it's absolutely not legal, but it doesn't mean that it doesn't unfortunately happen.
    Last edited by AndNirina; Apr. 26, 2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Spelling.. Silly ipad

I truley think that more drug abuse happens at the B and C level than at the A, AA level. They are all recognized shows. It is time to make those levels as much a part of the drug test system that it seems everyone is willing to pay with their membership and drug test fees for. They pay the same money for all the same benefits, but they do not often get them.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

They tested our whole trailer and we were sent home.
    How does the AQHA do instant results drug testing?
    "The pony has been lunged for a half an hour and has had her Dex so she's all ready to go!" Awesome. it's absolutely not legal, but it doesn't mean that it doesn't unfortunately happen.
    Inappropriate to yell across a schooling area, yes, but not illegal based on the information given.

is dex illegal??
    and drugging is not allowed at any usef show

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I am thinking these may not be actual USEF "C" shows? I know everyone around here calls our state-rated shows "C" shows when in fact they are not USEF rated at all.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

is dex illegal??
    No. It is restricted by amount and timing, but not illegal.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Rio Blanco View Post
    but there are some "C" USEF recognized horse shows in our area over the summer in which I'm 100% certain drugging is more the rule than the exception.
    Specifically what do you mean by "drugging"? Because that shot of dex or banamine within the rule's time frame is not illegal drugging by USEF rules, be it non FEI h/j, dressage or three day competition/class, regardless of rating. Neither is a shot of adequan or legend or even IV robaxin (never mind all the pills and pastes and topicals).

I dunno, unless people are openly talking about their own actions (hard to imagine), it's really tough to tell who's legit and who's not until the tester comes to town. Then it's easy enough to spot people furtively slipping away before the hack if they should be so lucky.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by HRF Second Chance View Post
    I did AQHA shows growing up and the horse I was hired to ride was drugged beyond belief to appear sound enough to get through the day. The drug tester was there and looking for horses to test.

I casually suggested my mount because I knew she'd fail and we'd be excused. The owner refused to to pull her and I was 15 and alone in a strange city hours from home so I couldn't force the issue for fear I'd be left alone penniless and far from home.

But the drug tester did! They tested our whole trailer and we were sent home. It was a win-win for me. Didn't get pointed out as the one who threw the owner under the bus and I didn't have to ride the mare with a terrible lameness issue.
    That's interesting to hear of such lightning fast test results

These are definately USEF recognized "C" shows, I would post a link to the schedule but I don't want to stir the pot. I don't drug, wouldn't want to ride one that was drugged, and don't believe in drugging - you just have to ride better And yes, it is drugging to make the horses more "rideable" at the shows, not just banamine or dex. I used to show A/AA, but unfortunately am a dirt floor poor college student whose bar fund is eaten by my horse and when I can rub 2 nickels together and actually get to a rated show, I believe any USEF affiliation should warrant the same services that A/AA shows get when I'm required to pay membership regardless. And then there's the fact that I just believe in playing fair and all other safety reasons revolving around the use of drugs for that purpose.

And my jumper mare gets Adequan and Legend injections so obviously I don't consider that drugging

I'm with mroades. Most C shows are not recognized at all. There are very few truly USEF recognized USEF shows. But yes, there is drug testing at B and C recognized USEF shows. There is not testing at un-recognized/state recognized shows.
    And frankly, I'd rather see a horse have 1/2 cc of ace than watch it be lunged for an hour or risk foundering off dex. imho.
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

You should call the USEF D&M people for clarification of the process.
    Email medequestrian@aol.com or Call 800-633-2472
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by alteringwego View Post
    I'm with mroades. Most C shows are not recognized at all. There are very few truly USEF recognized USEF shows.
    Huh? I think something got left out there.

The OP confirmed that they are USEF recognized shows.

In some parts of teh country there are very few USEF "C" rated shows. But in other parts of the country there are lots of them.

But yes, there is drug testing at B and C recognized USEF shows. There is not testing at un-recognized/state recognized shows.
    I don't think that is quite true. i have been told that in California ALL shows are subject to testing. And there are other organizations besides USE (e.g., AQHA) that test.

And frankly, I'd rather see a horse have 1/2 cc of ace than watch it be lunged for an hour or risk foundering off dex. imho.
    You are entitled to your opinion, but it is neither here nor there wrt the OP.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).