The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default For those who use the Sprenger Duo or Nathe bit...

Do you use a different bit for jumping/XC? My new horse has been going great on the flat in the Duo, he accepts the contact and is happy without being heavy...even got a 22 on his first dressage test! I have had him about 2 months, and he came from a hunter barn so I'm not sure what they were riding him in - he had a little too much "go" for their liking

The issue I'm having is that he doesn't respond as well to the bit when we jump...I've been working on his canter balance and helping him learn half halts, but he still gets pretty strong between/after fences. He has a low palate and generally doesn't like fatter bits. I am currently jumping him in a plain curved thinner Myler D with hooks, and just have the hooks attached to the cheekpieces and not the reins because he doesn't like too much leverage.

I have tried a french link boucher, slow twist full cheek, and the Nathe with rings. He probably went the best in the Nathe/bubble, but still didn't love the leverage. He totally pulled against the boucher and then would hide from the slow twist, I was super quiet with my hands but I think they were both not a good match for him.

Anyone have similar issues or suggestions for bits to try?

My guy is low-palated too, and fussy on top of it. I had marginal success (better than anything else I had tried) with the Nathe bit until he began pulling it up farther into his mouth and chewing on it!

Since then I switched to the Myler mullen mouth, and couldn't be happier. I run all three phases in it.

Well I am really interested in the answers since I have the same question. My pony LOVES the DUO loose ring for flatwork, but I have been wondering what I will use for jumping.

I saw one of these at a local tack shop, unfortunately not in her size, but it looks interesting. It's not much wider than the DUO, but is slightly ribbed. The bonus too is it's WAY cheaper than the DUO.
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/happy-m...01125/cn/1464/

Thanks for the input. Is the bit a D, full cheek, etc? Does it have the moving pieces/barrel?

http://www.equusport.com/category.php?category_id=117

Been there done that I have a few that just love the mouthpiece so I have bought a few of the different versions.

I tried the happy mouth versions but they are just not the same- too thick and not flexible enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Carried Away View Post
    Thanks for the input. Is the bit a D, full cheek, etc? Does it have the moving pieces/barrel?

It is a D, which I like because it stabilizes the bit for steering control in the jumping phases a bit more. I has a "rolling" middle piece, but that's a little misleading- it doesn't really roll the way rollers are designed to. If you twist it with your fingers, it will turn, but it won't spin with little resistance, and probably doens't move much from a horse's tongue either.

breakthru, thanks, I will have to try one of those!!

jleegriffith, thanks for the link but at this point I am thinking I need something without leverage..great resource though!!

Mine that went in a Duo on the flat either jumped in it....or I ended up switching to a Myler comfort snaffle (D-ring). One just went into a KK double jointed 16 mm D-ring snaffle. You have to play around a bit to find out what works for them.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I recently put my gelding in a DUO loose ring. Previously, he had been in an assortment of "soft" bits*, but had a tendency to get behind the bit on the flat. Metal/rigid mouthpieces are apparently just too much bit for him. I'm not sure what he will do XC in the bit, but he's been quite good when I've jumped him at home in the ring with it. If I find that I need something more for XC, I will likely use his JP (see * below) wrapped in Sealtex.

I think which bit will work best XC depends partly on WHY the DUO/Nathe works in the ring.

*Cupreon lozenge loose ring, Happy Mouth mullen loose ring, mullen loose ring, JP full cheek with copper roller, and both the JP and mullen loose ring wrapped with Sealtex
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Default Consider a hackamore?

My guy who is extremely intolerant of metal, rigid bits is much more tolerant in the nathe. What he loves, and loves for jumping is his hackamore. I just got (today!) my Sprenger hackamore and I love it. It's very stable (even though I converted the leather curb strap to a curb chain).

I don't know if you're interested in trying a hackamore but for my low palate horse who seems to go softer and happier in the nathe, the hackamore has been a godsend.
    A horse gallops with its lungs, perseveres with its heart, and wins with its character.
    ~Tessio

I had thought about a hackamore but I've never used one.... My horse just turned 6 and hasn't had a ton of training besides the track at this point, so I'm not sure how he'd react to a hackamore. Definitely worth a try though!! He is forward and happy to go forward, so I'd like to keep that by not overbitting and backing him off too much.

Great suggestions so far, please keep them coming!

Re: the hackamore ... my gelding is 8 but is pretty green. He had less than 2 yrs under saddle when I put the hackamore on but he took to it like a fish to water. I DID try it first with my trainer after she (and 2 clinicians) suggested it. I was a little nervous to give it a go by myself.

I may be evangelizing it a bit because it's helped so much with fussiness, balance, and allowing me to have independent seat/hands.
    A horse gallops with its lungs, perseveres with its heart, and wins with its character.
    ~Tessio

So I tried a Waterford yesterday with decent results...just did flatwork but it seemed like he wasn't opposed to it. The wind and rain beating on the indoor was another story though

The only thing I'd like to change is maybe a thinner mouthpiece so it's not as heavy...anyone seen a thinner version of a Waterford bit?

I have a jump lesson today so we'll see what my trainer thinks...may also try the Nathe/bubble bit with 2 reins, but it's a $300 bit so I would love an alternative...