The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horses let loose in Fort Wayne Park

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/ne...120348769.html

The potential for disaster with a stunt like this was quite high. This is in the middle of the city...it's really a miracle they weren't hurt and no cars came in contact. And ultimately it makes me sad that things have come to this for people....

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (Indiana’s NewsCenter) - The owner of the two horses found roaming Johnny Appleseed Park on Thursday still has not come forward.

A decision on placement of the horses could come as early as Tuesday afternoon.

More than a dozen Fort Wayne Police and Animal Care and Control officers tried to corral two horses that were wandering loose in Johnny Appleseed Park near the Memorial Coliseum.

Campers in the park told officers they saw someone dump the horses off around midnight.

The officers finally used snow fencing to confine the horses while an experienced mounted police officer Sergent Bill Walsh harnessed them.

An Animal Care and Control administrator says the horses had obviously been fed, but have upper respiratory infections and neglected coats.

The horses were taken to a private horse barn, where a vet will treat their illnesses and they will be kept for the city for three days.

After that, they could be put up for adoption.

Police are investigating who the owner is, because legal action could be taken.

If you recognize either of the two horses and have information of who the owner is please contact police at 436-STOP or call Animal Care and Control at 427-1244.

That is sad. Glad they are safe--for now. They look like ponies, not horses

I didn't look at all of the pictures until now - you're right, ponies, or youngsters.

I'm from right outside Fort Wayne, I wonder where they took them. Johnny Appleseed is right on Coliseum Blvd which is right next to the Coliseum but is a VERY busy road!

The article says a private facility took them (?). I was concerned since we don't have many rescue's (well as far as I know we don't have ANY legitimate ones) in the area. Shadorobah is always scrounging for hay and last I heard, which was months ago, they were in foreclosure.

Another reason why any sizable community needs mounted police officers (harness wild horses )
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Another reason why any sizable community needs mounted police officers (harness wild horses )
    LOL! One of my friends had a retired TB from the Fort Wayne Mounted force...he was recently put down but he was a dear old soul to her and had a long, full life (she is also a FW policeman). I'd LOVE a retired police horse.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    The article says a private facility took them (?). I was concerned since we don't have many rescue's (well as far as I know we don't have ANY legitimate ones) in the area. Shadorobah is always scrounging for hay and last I heard, which was months ago, they were in foreclosure.
    USERL seems to do a pretty good job (we foster for them), and does IHR have a farm in the north? I can't remember.

I've been asking around to see where they went, but no word so far through my contacts. Seriously though, could the owners have picked a more dangerous place to set these two loose?! All the noise, traffic, etc near Johnny Appleseed.....too scary.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

USERL in IN shut down a couple years ago

USERL in IN shut down a couple years ago
    But we foster for them.....lol

They're still here! Just....well...honestly, not very well organized at the moment!

Default very sad

Somebody was in trouble and made a bad decision. Perhaps they thought the horses would be "rescued" quickly from a public park. Plenty of stray dogs and cats in the world, now horses being turned loose too...

http://www.journalgazette.net/articl...OCAL/110429591

The horses are now in Kirsten Saldivar's care. A very sweet, nice lady who takes good care of her horses. I've known her for many years and have leased horses to her in the past.

I grew up just a couple miles from there. It was too busy a road for loose animals to be near in 1985, can't imagine it now. Yikes. Glad the horses are at least not on Coliseum Blvd. anymore. Good grief.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Quote Originally Posted by randomequine View Post
    But we foster for them.....lol

They're still here! Just....well...honestly, not very well organized at the moment!
    I must have bad informants then . I was told they "fell apart". I'm wondering if we've met - I helped at that Arab seizure/turn-over in Columbia City a few years ago...that was the last I've had contact with USERL. Wre you there by any chance?

I must have bad informants then . I was told they "fell apart". I'm wondering if we've met - I helped at that Arab seizure/turn-over in Columbia City a few years ago...that was the last I've had contact with USERL. Wre you there by any chance?
    Are you from Ft. Wayne? I'm from Columbia City. What was the seizure/turn-over in CC? My family and horses are still there. I'm currently in Indy finishing grad school.

I was actually!!!!! How funny, small world!

We actually have two of them on our property -- The little filly that was found frozen that started the whole thing ("Crystal") and a gelding that was born on our property when we initially had two of the mares from that seizure.

I ended up leaving that 'pick up' due to some of the cowboy methods that were being used -- didn't make me happy nor did it make sense to scar these poor horses that hadn't had much experience with people, let alone trailers, simply because they wanted it done fast. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Jessyka89 View Post
    Are you from Ft. Wayne? I'm from Columbia City. What was the seizure/turn-over in CC? My family and horses are still there. I'm currently in Indy finishing grad school.
    A few years ago there was a seizure of lots of horses from a farm on 500N near Tri-Lakes -- he basically was an older man that had run a breeding operation, but then his wife got sick and things got waaaayyyy out of hand. Some friends of ours had been driving by and saw a foal laying frozen to the ground and they (by the grace of God) got her out of the pasture and warmed her up and she survived. From there, USERL and some other groups helped remove horses and attempted to educate the man on proper horse care and let him know that if he needed help to ask!

Randomequine, are you talking about a big arab facility? If so my barn took in a 3yo chestnut stallion who had never been out of a stall from there.

We never really heard anything from USERL, and ended up adopting the horse out on our own but he went to a barrel racing home for a teenage boy.
    Last edited by enjoytheride; Apr. 26, 2011 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessyka89 View Post
    Nevermind hundredacres, apparently I've even met you before and didn't even know! Melissa informed me...

I can't place you Jessy....inform ME! And is Melissa lurking (stinker)? Yes, I'm from the area (30 minutes north of FW and one of M's old students).

randomequine...I was the one who posted the cowboy stunt on youtube...my daughter actually taped it (she was 8 at the time). Were you one of the girls who were working in the round pen with that colt he assaulted? Eya-h, that day is seared in my brain forever....and like enjoytheride mentioned, I never was wild about the USERL of IN after that experience. I'm glad to hear the horse found a good home enjoytheride (I'm assuming it was the stallion that hadn't been out of his stall?)....horrible images of that day.