The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Car Accident / Horse riding

ok, so I have a question, not sure if it falls in the category but i'll try.
    so 2 weeks ago I was in a car accident, and got what's call whiplash? not sure I wrote it right.
    anyway, I have done x-rays and I am now following a therapy, apparently the first 6 weeks are the most important and I was told not to ride horses for the first 6 weeks of therapy
    the therapy can go on for 6 months to a year depending on how I heal.

yes, I am really frustrated !

I asked and was told that after the first 6 weeks of therapy, I will be able to ride again, and that it might help the healing? I am not sure why, but, this is my first car accident and had never heard of whiplash injury before, so I dont really know

Anyone familiar with the subject or that has inputs?
    I really hope to be able to ride again soon, but I dont want the riding to interfere with my therapy and healing.
    this is really the worse thing that can happen to me, not been able to ride

yes and if I find the "butthole" ( to be nice) who crashed my car, he will be in serious troubles!

Sorry you were in an accident and injured....and hope you recover well.

Whiplash is an injury caused by snapping the head back and forth on the neck straining the tendons, ligaments and muscles of the neck that support your head. All of those take time to heal. Follow your docs instructions and stay with the therapy and you will likely be fine. If you don't you risk further injury and sometimes long term effects.

If not riding for 6 weeks is the worst that has ever or does ever happen to you you will have been an exceptionally lucky individual....it's a very short amount of time in the overall lifetime of being healthy and able to ride.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

I got whiplash from a fall from my horse (my shoulder hit a ground pole, but my head hit the ground). I agree that you need to follow your doctor's orders and don't ride too soon. You don't want to risk a more serious injury or long term problems.

There are so many ways to enjoy your horse from the ground - exercises you can do, walks you can take, grooming, etc. Ground work is a great way to deepen your bond with your horse, so look at it as a positive time and you'll be back in the saddle soon enough.
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

As others have said, whipping the head around injurs the tendons and ligaments.

This injury is similar to someone straining their knee in other sports (I believe this injury is most common in soccor).

When a muscle is strained, it often only takes a few days to a week to heal up enough to use it again. When ligaments are strained, or stretched, they take months to heal.

If you are thinking about riding before your doctor clears you, think about it this way - if your horse had a bowed tendon or torn/injured stifle, would you put him to work before your vet cleared him?

"Whiplash" itself means nothing, medically. It describes the mechanism of injury, it doesn't describe the injury itself. It has become the favored laymen (and legal) term in MVA-associated neck injuries.

XR would tell you nothing of severity in this type of injury, they're only useful to rule out bony fracture. Your doc/physical therapist/whoever must have decided based on the force of the impact and your symptoms/exam how severe your injury is; "whiplash" can describe anything from just a mild neck strain that needs nothing but Advil for a few days, to tearing of ligaments which take a long time to heal.

thanks everyone for your inputs.
    I do not own a horse right now so it is not a big deal, I ride for people though when they leave and need someone to ride their horses, and I also go to a friend's barn to help her out because she has a lot of horses ( she is a breeder) and need help work/ break horses.
    anyway, I will not ride horses in any case until I am clear ( which I just did this morning ) but I was not planning on not listening to my doctor. he told me to wait, and I did. I was just really frustrated because of this happening to me, I am not a bad person, and it kind of bother me how bad things always happen to good people.
    anyway, my injury was not as bad as my fiancee, he will need much more therapy and probably MRI, and/or surgery. we dont know yet. my injury was although painful, and still is . I am not trying to get money from anybody, because some people fake these injuries from what I have heard. my neck and between my shoulders have been painful since the accident, nothing major but painful. I also work for a vet clinic where I have to restrain pets, and carry pets on the table, so obviously the pain is not fake. I have to take it easy at work as well.

but you know , the good thing is , we are alive, and we will be fine at some point . and my dog was not in the car, she would have been severely injured if she was, so i am trying to look at the bright side.

like I mention, my therapist gave me the ok this morning to start riding again, just to take it easy, no every day riding, which is fine by me. he also explained it better this morning how horse back riding can be use as a kind of therapy at a certain point , but only if you have a good seat, and not bouncing around, so technically, if you are a good rider, it is a good therapy, like a "Vibrational massage" to the spine

Listen to your Drs!!!!

I had a hit and run from behind - really messed my neck up. Necks seem to take longer to heal than other parts so don't do anything you don't absolutely have to do and give it time.

If you rush things you will end up out of the saddle for much longer than you want.

Quote Originally Posted by KnKShowmom View Post
    Listen to your Drs!!!!

I had a hit and run from behind - really messed my neck up. Necks seem to take longer to heal than other parts so don't do anything you don't absolutely have to do and give it time.

If you rush things you will end up out of the saddle for much longer than you want.
    DITTO!

I hurt my neck in a wreck almost 15 yrs ago. Unfortunately I was on liberty at boot camp when it happened. Probably the the worst place in the world to try and heal. Don't push it. I literally didn't have a scratch on me at the time, but my neck is still screwed up, as well as my shoulders (years of compensating). It didn't seem that bad at the time either.

Not riding for the summer is better than hurting forever. I would stay away from posting for a while, especially on a big-going horse.