The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do you file a USEF protest agains a Shamateur?

Can anyone fill me in on the process of filing a protest for someone proclaiming to be an amateur, while they are running training business on the side? I see on the USEF site, there is a "Protest," and a "Charge." The protest requires $200 to be paid to USEF. Both say you are required to be present for the hearing, and do not allow anonymous turning in. If anyone has insight, please shine some light.

No light on this one but if that's the case - seems pretty strict... but probably to prevent harassment type situations.

Many people in life roll on the bully train! Not just horse people. Good luck!
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Ptotests are described in GR603
    1. Any rider, driver, handler, vaulter, longeur, exhibitor, owner, agent, trainer or the parent
    of a junior exhibitor, or any Life, Senior, or Junior member present at the competition may
    file a protest with the Show Committee of a Licensed Competition or The Federation
    Hearing Committee alleging violation of any Federation rule(s).
    Charges are described in GR604
    1. Any official of a USEF Licensed Competition, any Federation Representative assigned
    to a USEF licensed competition, any National Officer of the Federation or the CEO or
    Executive Director of the Federation
    may file a charge with the Show Committee or the
    USEF Hearing Committee alleging a violation of any Federation rule(s).]
    The difference is that a charge is made by an official (and doesn't require $200), and a protest is by a non-official (and requires $200).
    I do not understand the rest of your question.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Thank you SS and Janet. I found two different forms to file on the USEF site and I was not sure which one to use. One was for a Protest, the other for a Charge. I was not sure which one was appropriate.

So the best course of action is to speak with a TD at a show?

That is certainly a good place to start.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Lkramer, I would start with the Steward listed at the horse show you are attending where you believe the amateur is a professional under the USEF rules.
    Last edited by STA; Apr. 26, 2011 at 11:25 AM.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

Suggest you also print out info from shamateur's website or ad or whatever and present that to the steward the next time you see this person showing in the amateurs. Oh, I would also see if you can get show results from any prior shows that show the Shamateur has been/is competing in violation... hand over the paperwork and see what happens. While I can understand the USEF wanting to protect folks from being falsely accused, they do need to revisit some of the requirements for filing a protest. And I love that some Shamateurs will look at you blankly and say "well I have an amateur card" like that makes it right. Do they really think the person that processes memberships knows... I mean George Morris could probably get an amateur card if he checked off the box on the membership form...

Thumbs up

You need definite proof and affidavits ( notorized ) also help.
    ~ Bill Rube ~
    http://www.bydesignfarm.com
    Check us out on Facebook