The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hurray for the Over The Hill Gang: MARK TODD WON BADDERS today!!!

Figured there would be a thread heralding Toddy's 4th win...but doesn't seem to be, so I'm doing the honors, and it is an honor. Mark Todd is simply amazing...and happily, Mary King was right there on the podium with him.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

I'm so glad you started this thread! I think this is eventings biggest thrill in a long,long time. To completely start over from scratch and come back and win team bronze a the WEG and now this! FANTASTIC! The Master has returned!

Agree entirely. This was the most fun I've had watching Badminton in a long, long, time! Sure brings back memories of the good old days.
    Mark Todd is such a class act to have achieved this feat. Kudos to him, and let's hope he decides to stick around for a bit now. Sure brought back some of the old excitement. Fantastic stuff...

It was so fantastic to watch. I've always been a fan of his, he is the most awesome horseman, as well as incredibly approachable and helpful.
    Years ago I was training with someone who had sold a good horse to MT. During a lesson, he took a phone call, got off the phone saying that that had been Toddy on the phone, asking how the hell to get the horse to rein back (it was a tricky horse). I thought for someone of Toddy's truly amazing experience and horsemanship to be humble enough to pick up the phone and ask, was truly impressive.
    After winning his first Olympic gold he stabled over for the night at a big yard belonging to some people I knew. Years later the grooms still marvelled at the fact that he had turned up on the yard bright and early and happily mucked out his horses, turning down their offers to do it. No diva-ish-ness there...
    I could go on and on but I'll shut up now.
    Very tempted to sell my house and ask to go and be his working pupil, doubt he'd go for it though!

Default happy ride tonight...

It felt so special today, to be part of a sport that for at least one weekend put the spotlight on what lifelong commitment to excellence can produce - I've happily raised my saddle, and my brushes, my hoof pick, and a nice toddy today...to Toddy!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Default how old is he?

I watched him win at Gatcombe in 1987 -- first Advanced I'd ever been to (could not believe they were going to jump a Range Rover) -- I still have my little Kodak pics So, how old is he now?

RFI I love your enthusiasm.
    I met him in 1984 at LA in the barn area. Also met Charisma same time. Partied with the team a bit too but you know, I can't remember a whole lot of that...gee...wonder why....
    Any how don't forget he took some time off, "retired", and went back to New Zealand and did racehorses for a while before deciding he wanted to try and get back on the Olympic team for Hong Kong since it was practically in the backyard (well, relatively) and he's been back eventing some since...it looks like he's established himself back in England again.
    British peeps, can you give any background on his return since Hong Kong? Did he ever sell his yard in England and buy a new one when he came back or ?
    It sounds like it is an interesting story.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Default Where is that damned heart icon??

I am unable to even express how much this tickles me pink (an expression which ages me; I am probably about Mark Todd's vintage )

What an inspiration, and thanks to the other posters for sharing the great stories (sniffle), it puts this particular victory (and horseman) into an even more poignant and meaningful context.
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

He is the reason my parents became fans of eventing. They took me to Rolex in 2000 for making the honor roll my sophmore year of HS. He had a big grey (surprise) horse that just floated into the dressage ring. My Non-Horsey parents, who had just begun to grasp dressage much less eventing, rooted for him all weekend because they loved how quietly he rode the test and how simple he made the XC look. Blythe Tait won IIRC, but they've watched the sport ever since. My mom thought it was a "darned shame" when he retired and said "Well, Bruce kept going why can't he?" ( I think I remember my jaw dropping when I realized that my Mom actually had been listening to all my eventing stuff not just nodding and smiling )

She'll be happy to hear this update on how well his comeback has been going.

He is 55, not THAT old! He looks good for it too.
    What a thrill for eventing in general.

Among the Badminton debutantes this year was Joy Dawes, a 46 year-old IT worker, who finished in 42nd place.

A 48 year-old Belgian rider, Joris van Springel, completed Badminton for the second time (the first was in 2009) and listed his profession as a 'railway stationmaster.' He came 25th.

The oldest competitor, in 37th place, was the Frenchman Jean Teulere, who is 57. His last Badminton completion was in 1993.

Inspirational.

Quote Originally Posted by RunForIt View Post
    It felt so special today, to be part of a sport that for at least one weekend put the spotlight on what lifelong commitment to excellence can produce - I've happily raised my saddle, and my brushes, my hoof pick, and a nice toddy today...to Toddy!
    Amen!
    Proud member of the EDRF

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    I am unable to even express how much this tickles me pink (an expression which ages me; I am probably about Mark Todd's vintage )

What an inspiration, and thanks to the other posters for sharing the great stories (sniffle), it puts this particular victory (and horseman) into an even more poignant and meaningful context.
    Ooh, do i detect a teensy bit of encouragement to say more?

My fave personal Toddy story:
    Many many moons ago (there might have been the odd pterodactyl soaring overhead, that sort of thing) I was doing the first Intermediate on my good grey mare. First run at a new level's always a bit nerve-wracking, my trainer wasn't there, and 1 fence on the xc had me stumped, I really couldn't work out which way to go at it. It was a sunken road, but with a staggered post and rail on both sides, so either
    p & r, bounce, step down, stride, step up, 1 stride, p & r,
    or
    p & r, stride, step down, stride, step up, bounce, p & r.
    old-school, so very upright and unforgiving.
    i was early to go so couldn't watch anyone go. riding down to xc start, i still hadn't decided, was in a real quandary but just about knew better than to decide on the way into the fence! my guardian angel earned an extra pair of wings that day, because Toddy was hacking back from xc. He didn't look in a hurry, so I stopped him and asked him for advice about that fence. (I'd never been introduced to him, btw.)
    I am eternally grateful that he took loads of time to talk me through it, how it jumped both ways, how he'd jumped it and why, where Ginny had jumped it and why (the day before), where Ian had jumped it and why, you get the picture. He asked about my horse, how long her natural stride was, whether she was really good in front, suspicious of drops down, etc etc. Then, once I'd decided on my route based on all that excellent info, he asked exactly how I was going to ride it.
    Then he asked whether there were any other fences on the course I was concerned about...
    With all that excellent advice ringing in my ears, I went out and did a nice happy clear.
    I know there are lots of amazingly generous and kind people in Eventing, it's one of my very favourite things about the sport, but this kindness just overawes me to this day.

oh, and
    A few years later I was hanging around after xc with my trainer who was friends with the Todds, and when I was introduced, Carolyn recognised my colours & said "i saw you finish on your grey, she flew that last fence like a bird" which was a lovely comment I really treasure.
    We then all sat around chatting and having drinks and I was having such a great time I totally forgot I was supposed to drive home (eeek, i'm usually so responsible!) and had to get a sober friend to drive my horsebox and horses back to my temporary base 1/2 mile up the road for another night, oopsy.

retreadeventer, he's based at the amazing Headley Stud which is owned by American rider Jules Stiller, who he helps train I believe. I wonder whether they take in waifs and strays...
    Last edited by kerilli; Apr. 26, 2011 at 09:50 AM.

What a great ride. Love his horse, but his (Todd's) attitude is so high quality.

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    What a great ride. Love his horse, but his (Todd's) attitude is so high quality.
    He is honestly just the best, I totally agree.
    "Red on the right, white on the left, insanity in the middle."

Quote Originally Posted by kerilli View Post
    Ooh, do i detect a teensy bit of encouragement to say more?

My fave personal Toddy story:
    Many many moons ago (there might have been the odd pterodactyl soaring overhead, that sort of thing) I was doing the first Intermediate on my good grey mare. First run at a new level's always a bit nerve-wracking, my trainer wasn't there, and 1 fence on the xc had me stumped, I really couldn't work out which way to go at it. It was a sunken road, but with a staggered post and rail on both sides, so either
    p & r, bounce, step down, stride, step up, 1 stride, p & r,
    or
    p & r, stride, step down, stride, step up, bounce, p & r.
    old-school, so very upright and unforgiving.
    i was early to go so couldn't watch anyone go. riding down to xc start, i still hadn't decided, was in a real quandary but just about knew better than to decide on the way into the fence! my guardian angel earned an extra pair of wings that day, because Toddy was hacking back from xc. He didn't look in a hurry, so I stopped him and asked him for advice about that fence. (I'd never been introduced to him, btw.)
    I am eternally grateful that he took loads of time to talk me through it, how it jumped both ways, how he'd jumped it and why, where Ginny had jumped it and why (the day before), where Ian had jumped it and why, you get the picture. He asked about my horse, how long her natural stride was, whether she was really good in front, suspicious of drops down, etc etc. Then, once I'd decided on my route based on all that excellent info, he asked exactly how I was going to ride it.
    Then he asked whether there were any other fences on the course I was concerned about...
    With all that excellent advice ringing in my ears, I went out and did a nice happy clear.
    I know there are lots of amazingly generous and kind people in Eventing, it's one of my very favourite things about the sport, but this kindness just overawes me to this day.

oh, and
    A few years later I was hanging around after xc with my trainer who was friends with the Todds, and when I was introduced, Carolyn recognised my colours & said "i saw you finish on your grey, she flew that last fence like a bird" which was a lovely comment I really treasure.
    We then all sat around chatting and having drinks and I was having such a great time I totally forgot I was supposed to drive home (eeek, i'm usually so responsible!) and had to get a sober friend to drive my horsebox and horses back to my temporary base 1/2 mile up the road for another night, oopsy.

retreadeventer, he's based at the amazing Headley Stud which is owned by American rider Jules Stiller, who he helps train I believe. I wonder whether they take in waifs and strays...
    Wonderful story (all of it! ), thanks for sharing! He should be an example to (for?) all eventers; giving back is what it's all about.
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")