The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I thought the OP was talking about contacting the previous OWNER. Not sure why everyone got so focused on whether a previous TRAINER or CLINICIAN would remember the mare.

OP, congrats on your new mare, and kudos to you for giving her a home. Hope she and your daughter have many happy years together.

I hope you are able to find a little history for her. One it is fun just to know, and two it could possibly help you with her. I got a OTTB years ago that was having a medical issue and I was lucky enough to call one of the owners on the papers and they were happy to hear from me and fill me in on his history which actually saved us tons in vetting. One phone call provided me the solution and all I lost was 20 mins of my time on the phone. Make the call, you have nothing to lose!

OP, I hope you do find out a little back ground on your new mare. I love filling in the holes as much as possible, so I understand your interest in learning what you can.
    Sheilah

Default I don't think it's clear

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    I thought the OP was talking about contacting the previous OWNER. Not sure why everyone got so focused on whether a previous TRAINER or CLINICIAN would remember the mare.

OP, congrats on your new mare, and kudos to you for giving her a home. Hope she and your daughter have many happy years together.

Whether the person associated with riding the mare in 1st Level Dressage was either the owner or trainer or both. Either way, she would remember her because you don't just catch ride in dressage. Maybe she can enlighten the OP, it can't hurt to ask her. I hope the OP will update us, I'm hoping for a happy update and some nice pics.

OP, congratulations on your mare! I hope you have many happy years with her. Hopefully this thread hasn't discouraged you from researching her past. I think--and most people think--it's perfectly *normal* to want to know a horse's story.

Have fun!
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

[[edit]
    To the OP - trainer in question's program is good but not BIG enough that she isn't going to remember the mare. Do I remember rightly that the farm is only like 10-20 acres or something? Anyway - do go ahead & call!
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Apr. 27, 2011 at 07:11 AM.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Tamara, you never answered my question.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Why are you so against the OP asking?

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Tamara, you never answered my question.
    sorry...I'm not against her asking anything of anyone...why would I be ? I just don't understand the gain of it.

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

There may be no gain. But there will be no loss in contacting the old owner.

[edit]
    I understand the OP - I found and got in contact with my (registered with papers free, so there, TNT) oldenburg gelding's breeder. What fun that was! She sent me photos of him at two weeks old all gussied up for his inspection. Oh, Yeah! She told where his name came from. I mentioned him, first on this board, and friends of the breeder contacted me remembering when they got the phone call from the breeder (their friends) to tell them they had a name for the colt, and why they named him what they did. How fun is that, to know why your horse has his name? Photos of him cavorting in the pasture with his mother at two days old.

One photo was a shot of him by her side, and all you can see of her is her left front - she's a black bay with a lright front sock with "ermine spots" and he has the same sock on his left front. How much fun was it to see a horse leg next to him with his odd, spotted ankle sock! Then, she sent photos of his 1 year inspection of him free jumping. I was able to see his form and understand how he uses himself now and how his conformation was at that age. Not curcial to his training, but really sweet and fun.

Then, there is the two week old pics of him going into the arena to be inspected, and he has stopped to eat the plastic flowers, and his mother is bumping him on from behind. One day at our indoor, we were dressing it up with mums for a clinic, and I was walking around the arena with him and he stopped to eat the mums, and I actually had that photo in my pocket and I had to catch up with him to shoo him away from the flowers, but pulled the photo out of my pocket and looked at it, looked at him, looked at it, and laughed. My friend was setting up the potted plants, and saw him ("tell him to get away from those pots!" and when I got him off the plants, I showed her the photo. She thought it was funny, then was amazed when I told her it really was a photo of that very horse as a 2 week old rascal. Moments like that can't be valued.

My horse had been in pasture for about a year and half when I got him recovering from an abcess, so wasn't in shape. As I've gotten him in shape and began to see what training he had, and had some very nice trainers comment on what a solid background he came with, and what a nice dressage foundation and how sensible he was to fences, they asked who gave him these basics. Not only was I able to tell them he came from Marcia Carabell and an eventing background, I was able to tell her their comments. How many trainers get the feed back of knowing that a horse she started represents her so nicely in another part of the country? His breeders will enjoy hearing about his accomplishments, if I can get to showing him well (its up to me to improve so I can).

Its a really nice rounding out of a horse's background and gives a completed idea of where the horse came from and why he is who he is. Those who have loved him and like to know where their horses go are happy to hear of his progress, or of his health and well being.

I could have not ever contacted any of them - the woman I got him from I could have picked him up and never spoken to again, but we are in contact though in different parts of the country. Which reminds me, she's about due for some new pics of him after 1 year with me. Just waiting for a nice, sunny, green spring day. Probably get a picture of me standing there grinning and him behind me just about to take a chunk out of my shoulder! I'd send that one to Tamara in TN.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Apr. 27, 2011 at 07:12 AM.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Default I don't understand

What Tamara's not bothering to call the trainer/previous owner of her mare has to do with the OP's new mare. I see no connection, don't know why Tamara's mare was brought up. It seems to me that Tamara is identifying her negative experience with the OP's so far positive one. Calling the OP's mare a "cheap old" horse is very different from referring to her as a down on her luck teenage mare.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    what are you talking about...? horse trainers that I know who touch more than 10 a year remember the best and the worst and the others are just sort of there,require a solid memory jog and then it's a big <mehhh>

she got an old thin mare cheap not ridden in three years and after one ride she's in frame and gonna be a hunter...the mares only saving grace is that she is a WB...

what did UGA say about the mare ? how long did they have her? why did they have her? why did they sell her?

seems to me it's more pertinent to the mares's health and happiness to find out the immediate past of an animal, not a few rides 9 years ago...but whatever...

again what REALLY useful info does she hope to get...after 9 years?

really ? my ego is not in the game here.

Tamara
    WOW! Thanks for the useless information... I will say a prayer for the animals that YOU own.

Quote Originally Posted by exvet View Post
    I have to ask what do those of you who feel that the OP got the mare for cheap think this mare's fair market value really is? She may not be ancient but she's aged. She hasn't done anything in at least 3 years if I read things correctly. It doesn't appear to have been proven that she's a sound breeder and there's the possibility that she was donated to the school due to a career ending injury. So what would the rest of you have paid for her and for what purpose with no more history than the OP had to work with?

I hope the mare turns out to suit the OP's needs and she may well do that; but, honestly in this economy I think the mare's price at auction accurately reflected what the market would bear on a gamble.

I came on here saying nothing about price...who gives a flip how much I paid. I was wanting to know nothing more than if anyone knew anything about her. If she turns out to be a pasture ornament I could care less. She will be healthy and happy at my house. I don't consider it a gamble. As long as she has a good brain and is safe for my child, I don't care where she came from or how much she costs. The only thing I wanted to know was if anyone knew of this mare and what she has done. It may not be important to you to know your horses history or background but it is important to me.

[edit]
    Wow, AR (and others). Why the vitriol?

I read TnT's post, and it seemed to me she was just relating her own experience as the reason why she feels finding out more about the mare's past isn't really all that helpful.

I'm in that camp, too. You deal with the animal that's standing before you. WHY they are that way really doesn't matter. If someone wants to know more about the way-back past, fine. But not really necessary.

And for the record, once upon a time, I had a grumpy old mare, too. Her most recent owners told me about her quirks, which were legion. But I didn't feel the need to call Poland to find out who did what 12 years earlier. She was what she was -- a needle-phobic, alpha mare who didn't like having her feet trimmed.

Beyond that, she was OK to deal with, she had great bloodlines and she had nice babies. So I did breed her.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Apr. 27, 2011 at 07:14 AM. Reason: quote of deleted post

I have gotten calls from horses our family owned 20 some odd years ago. Horses I rode or we sold when I was a junior. Some horses that were only at our farm a short time.

I remember all of them maybe not every detail but enough to provide some useful information to anyone that calls and to be honest I'm glad to hear how they are doing or what they have been doing.

I think that phone call shows a small step that the new owners at least care enough to call and find out about a horses past. Even if all they are looking for is a horsefax report .

Lets also be realistic the mare was give to a university breeding program. Maybe there is a reason. One the OP should know about or do her best to find out about since she is putting her child on said horse.

To be honest I"m not sure I would be that brazen and would have waited to find out more before throwing my shorties up there but to each there own.. I'm a nervous nelly mom. She is doing the right thing by the mare..asking questions and doing research. Hopefully it provides her with useful information that will benefit both she and the mare.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

I don't understand why everyone is getting so ruffled about this. While the OP needs to deal with the horse she has (and it sounds like she is), there's nothing negative that will come from inquiring about her horse's past, and it may reveal some interesting information. I'd say go for it, OP, and let us know what you find out. It sounds like your mare has quite an interesting history to her.

And share some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by melindagates View Post
    Does anyone know this mare? I bought her from an auction. She's a 16 year old Oldenburg from Georgia. Her registered name is Inquisitive and was registered with USEF under the owner Shirley Singleton. The people at the auction told me that the only thing they knew about her was that she was a broodmare and had a dressage background. My daughter got on her yesterday and she must have had some super training because she was beautiful under saddle. We bought her with hopes of turning her into a hunter. She's a little underweight and has no muscle tone. I'm just curious if anyone knows Shirley or this mare. I'm very curious of her past.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fb...0&l=93f3d56880
    MG, congrat's to you and your daughter-the mare is lovely and very lucky. I'm sure you will get some good background on her from her previous owner and/or trainer, even if its that she hates white cats and loves lemon drops!

[edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Apr. 27, 2011 at 07:15 AM.

Thank you to everyone that gave me useful information. My intent was just to come on here and see if maybe *by chance* somebody would know this mare or know Shirley. I have no intentions of "passing her along" when she is of no use to us. I still have my pony from when I was my daughter's age (I have a hard time selling them). My 13 year old is plenty capable of riding her. This mare is so sweet and calm my 6 year old could ride her and probably eventually will. The old owner may never answer my calls or emails...I don't know. I just think it would be cool to know what this horse has done. Shirley was the owner, not the trainer/clinician/etc, I would think she would remember the mare. I care about my horses and yes my daughter is in total love with this mare regardless of the fact that she is a "old cheap thin mare". That to me is priceless.

To the drama queen...I don't do drama so save your opinions and almighty attitude for someone else.

Thanks everyone!
    Melinda

ETA: Of course I will share pictures soon. Thanks again everyone!

I hope you'll take a pic of your daughter on the mare with a big ol' smile on her face!

Op- Congrats! I would be super excited to get a horse like this at the auction as well, and if I was 13 at the time, I would be super super super excited!

-believe me, I have pulled horses from the auctions, they often are not this nice!-

TAMARA - Jesus Christo! Way to derail a thread... Maybe some deep breathing and a glass of wine are in order? Seems that your nose has really done a number on you!