The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Maybe the OP will contact the original trainer and receive nothing or they might find out that this was one of the trainers favorite lower level horses. As long as you contact a trainer in a polite manner I don't see any harm. Plus you might found out valuable information about the horses strengths or weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    really ? my ego is not in the game here.

Tamara
    No - you're just being bitchy ?
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Default I don't get it!

I think that it's the most natural thing to want more info about a horse you found this way. I don't think any trainer would be offended and that they would be happy to give what ever info they could. They just might be relieved to hear that the horse is alive and in good hands.

As for the value, it was probably fair for the price they payed. Who knows what her value would be if she is very rideable and sound and even has a great jump? Maybe priceless to the present owner and her daughter?

Quote Originally Posted by MrWinston View Post
    After 30+ years of training horses and riding professionally, I would be embarrassed if I DIDN'T remember any horse that I worked with for any reasonable amount of time.
    right..."reasonable length of time"

here's my back story
    I got a mare JUST like this one...

branded (oldenburg or SWB I think) (check)
    teenaged (check)
    no papers (check)
    clinic-ed/trained with some dressage lady named Steiner years back (check)
    lives at the corner of Nut Weed Dr. and Nasty Ave. for: in hand-in stall-leading-after foaling (got two good chunks out of two different people before I got her) (check)

rides ok even up to "not bad" (check)

now what's this Steiner lady gonna tell me about this mare that is pertinent to my not getting eaten alive when I approach her at feeding??? or not killed if I ever bred her? or nor flattened like a tortilla if I lead her when she's not in season ?

nuthin. nuthin at all.
    so why would I bother her about this mare?? what is my motivation in this scene as they say ???

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    No - you're just being bitchy ?
    maybe it's my broken nose? got it thursday nite

Tamara
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

right..."reasonable length of time"

here's my back story
    I got a mare JUST like this one...

branded (oldenburg or SWB I think) (check)
    teenaged (check)
    no papers (check)
    clinic-ed/trained with some dressage lady named Steiner years back (check)
    lives at the corner of Nut Weed Dr. and Nasty Ave. for: in hand-in stall-leading-after foaling (got two good chunks out of two different people before I got her) (check)

rides ok even up to "not bad" (check)

now what's this Steiner lady gonna tell me about this mare that is pertinent to my not getting eaten alive when I approach her at feeding??? or not killed if I ever bred her? or nor flattened like a tortilla if I lead her when she's not in season ?

nuthin. nuthin at all.
    so why would I bother her about this mare?? what is my motivation in this scene as they say ???

Tamara
    I really don't see how any of this relates to the OP and her questions about her horse. Sorry that your horse tries to bite you...? Um... And it's fine if you don't want to call Gloria Steiner. Who cares? The OP is super excited about her daughter's new horse and wants to find out as much as she can about her history. Because she likes her! Because she wants to know her better! What on earth is wrong with that? Why don't you just let it go?

OP, I'm interested to hear if you have contacted the trainer, and if so what did she have to say?
    Last edited by JCS; Apr. 26, 2011 at 11:16 AM.

TNT - What does you poor purchase have to do with the OP's situation ?

It may indeed help OP to find out how this mare is bred, and be able to get papers from the registry. It would also help to find out how far this mare went in her training, how well she trained, and if she had injuries.

Sorry about your nose - but you owe OP an apology.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Yeah that is it your nose is out of joint....

Personally I'd want to find any background info on the horse too. For the benefit of the horse. In case there were any old injuries or successes.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    TNT - What does you poor purchase have to do with the OP's situation ?
    not a purchase I assure you,a gift,more of package deal years ago

my point is that nothing Gloria Steiner is going to tell me about my mare is going to affect her day to day living quality.

nothing

I was more careful to get her back story from the people who had her and handled her every day and made her this way.

not a semi famous lady who touched her briefly

but if the angle is find a Cinderella Backstory then great,we all need more nice stories.

Tamara

one that is 16yos,thin and not ridden in 3 years.
    I wonder what people are supposed to think a trainer will remember about a horse they rode 9 years ago?

Tamara
    LOL I remember horses I rode fifty years ago and yes I rode a lot of them.
    Might be one or two I've forgotten.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

TNT if you had been excited about your recent purchase as the OP is about hers, you might feel differently about hearing from a former trainer. But you are dealing with what you've got and from the sound of it, unless you can put some nicer manners on this mare, you're her last stop, short of dumping her on some unsuspecting bidder at a local auction (not that I'm say you'd do that), but your mare is going to be a harder sell.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

my point is that nothing Gloria Steiner is going to tell me about my mare is going to affect her day to day living quality.

nothing
    Really?
    And you know this how?

Maybe Gloria Steiner might know about a career ending injury.
    Maybe Gloria Steiner might remember some strange training issue this mare has that turns her from a great horse to a crazy horse and thus avoiding getting the OP's child hurt.

Or, Maybe Gloria Steiner might know nothing helpful.
    But no harm done asking.

Why are you so against the OP asking?

she got an old thin mare cheap not ridden in three years and after one ride she's in frame and gonna be a hunter...the mares only saving grace is that she is a WB...

Tamara

Too funny. Tamara, you sound JEALOUS.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

OP I can certainly relate to your desire to fill in the holes in your mare's history. I've followed a pony I owned 16 years ago because he kept getting sold with an inaccurate birth date. In fact in 2008 he was pictured in the COTH winning a ch. in Small Pony Hunters at the age of 17. Considering he was 24 at the time I thought it was even more amazing! Through the years new owners have always been gracious enough to take my calls or respond to my emails, and I've been able to fill in holes for them. Once it got his price reduced and sent to a proper semi-retirement home rather than a competitive show barn. Once it made the trainer say "well that explains why he needs his hocks injected."

She looks lovely and hopefully, if there was any career ending injury (I'm betting on an undiagnosed semi-chronic lameness) that caused her to be donated that 3 years of turnout and living like a horse has been just what she needed to recover.

Good luck and keep us posted!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to contact an old trainer or someone who rode the horse. I rode many, many horses that came through my trainer's barn as lesson horses and even if those horses are older now, I could certainly tell their owners some interesting things

I would love to know my one guy's background and he's 22 and retired! But I'd love to know what he was like when he was at the track and then as a pony horse. Would it help me figure out why he acts the way he does? Maybe, maybe not. But it could give me some fun stories!
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Tamara your bitchiness simply astounds me. There are drugs to help such a nasty attitude, you know. And yes you do sound jealous. Surely that would explain the brimstone spewing from your frothing fingers.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

And this thread proves why the Mods were right to limit replies in the "Missing Horses" forum.

OP, I wish you luck in connecting the history dots on your new horse.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Quote Originally Posted by moonriverfarm View Post
    Tamara your bitchiness simply astounds me. There are drugs to help such a nasty attitude, you know. And yes you do sound jealous. Surely that would explain the brimstone spewing from your frothing fingers.
    what??????????????????
    I get "surprise,surprise" bitchy-ness to a simple non emotional question and I am the one at fault ?
    really?

Tamara

Tamara..You are usually pretty nice...must be that nose.
    I understand what you are saying though...really...it was just the delivery I think that was off.

I know that when someone is as excited as the OP they really want to learn more. I would!
    Maybe her research will let them know of any past injuries or conditions.

I'm hoping this might be her forever home and not just a place to be fattened up and passed along.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    TNT if you had been excited about your recent purchase as the OP is about hers, you might feel differently about hearing from a former trainer. But you are dealing with what you've got and from the sound of it, unless you can put some nicer manners on this mare, you're her last stop, short of dumping her on some unsuspecting bidder at a local auction (not that I'm say you'd do that), but your mare is going to be a harder sell.

my mare is not for sale
    she was never for sale...she is in the last place she will ever live and has been here three years ?? maybe more

she came here to make welsh part-breds (before I understood what I was dealing with) but we will never breed her.

she's got a coosh enough life eating grass and keeping another mare company and we fiddle with her when she is in standing heat (thanks to Kathy Mann on the hormone questions) for vet and farrier and riding

and as I have no visitors or stall help or customers for her to hurt and the kids know to avoid her,everything is jake

when the time comes,we will just kill her here...for now however I have the money to just "have" her for the occasional trail ride when the stars and heat cycles align... and I feel bad that she is this way....maybe this is my gift to her for a while?

Tamara