The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Meh, I get what Tamara's saying and while I agree it could have 'sounded' cranky... so what? I'm not suitably impressed by AR 'taking a stand' and showing her ass and calling it overdue and about time or whatever.

Silly and blown out of proportion.

Is this where I tell my story about my horse's shady past?

Chip flunked as a big lick horse. I don't really want to know how hard they tried to make him gait. But... in the OP's case, Shirley may be delighted to hear the mare is in a good place. The earth will spin on its axis regardless of what happens next.

OP, enjoy the new mare.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    right..."reasonable length of time"

here's my back story
    I got a mare JUST like this one...

branded (oldenburg or SWB I think) (check)
    teenaged (check)
    no papers (check)
    clinic-ed/trained with some dressage lady named Steiner years back (check)
    lives at the corner of Nut Weed Dr. and Nasty Ave. for: in hand-in stall-leading-after foaling (got two good chunks out of two different people before I got her) (check)

rides ok even up to "not bad" (check)

now what's this Steiner lady gonna tell me about this mare that is pertinent to my not getting eaten alive when I approach her at feeding??? or not killed if I ever bred her? or nor flattened like a tortilla if I lead her when she's not in season ?

nuthin. nuthin at all.
    so why would I bother her about this mare?? what is my motivation in this scene as they say ???

Tamara
    Well...I for one DO go and try to find history on every horse I've gotten. I've contacted old trainers before, breeders..and yes, usually I do get some information. And people have always been happy to hear about the horse and give information.

MG, depending on your mare's actual level of training, her soundness and assuming you put the time and training into getting her back to where she should be, she could be worth some money. My daughter is currently riding an "old" DWB gelding. I think he's about the same age as your "old" mare. He went to PSG; he's been out of serious work for quite a while; consequently, he needs work to get him back in shape and build muscle again. My daughter is hoping to show him this summer somewhere in the 1st to 2nd level range. He is being offered for sale for $10,000. 16 is not old for a dressage schoolmaster. She could end up perfectly sound. Maybe she was donated to the school's reproductive department because she started having trouble conceiving or carrying and the owner wanted her to go somewhere she considered safe.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

OP: Have you contacted the former owner yet?? I know from experience it can be very enlightening.

I've done it twice on two different horses. One I realized the owners who abandoned her weren't the owners at all, and had been on payment plan they defaulted on almost immediately and fled the state with horse. Old owners once removed didn't care about the old debt and even released her papers to me! Second mare is my current mare, who supposedly had been doing rated shows in FL; checked with her old barn (old owner twice removed, that old owner once removed had also boarded with after purchase) and that would be a negative. Up/down school pony who loved trail rides, only rated stuff was done by old owner I got her from who had passed on the fictitious show experience as told her by the old owner once removed. Still, she's a nice pony, and it was good to know.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Default Some of us REALLY love horses!

Quote Originally Posted by melindagates View Post
    Thank you to everyone that gave me useful information. My intent was just to come on here and see if maybe *by chance* somebody would know this mare or know Shirley. I have no intentions of "passing her along" when she is of no use to us. I still have my pony from when I was my daughter's age (I have a hard time selling them). My 13 year old is plenty capable of riding her. This mare is so sweet and calm my 6 year old could ride her and probably eventually will. The old owner may never answer my calls or emails...I don't know. I just think it would be cool to know what this horse has done. Shirley was the owner, not the trainer/clinician/etc, I would think she would remember the mare. I care about my horses and yes my daughter is in total love with this mare regardless of the fact that she is a "old cheap thin mare". That to me is priceless.

To the drama queen...I don't do drama so save your opinions and almighty attitude for someone else.

Thanks everyone!
    Melinda

ETA: Of course I will share pictures soon. Thanks again
    everyone!

Best wishes to you with your new mare. She really looks lovely and appears to be a horse that is worth a good shot. I wouldn't have minded her landing in my field, especially since you attest to her gentleness. Let's hope that she remains so and remains sound. Please keep us posted, I am hoping to read great updates on her and your daughter. Thank you for giving her a chance.

Melinda, bless you for taking on the three horses. My trainer has a sharp memory for the horses she has ridden...I have seen her recognize a few at shows...that she has not seen in years. I think it's a gift She remembers horses better than people
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    MG, congrat's to you and your daughter-the mare is lovely and very lucky. I'm sure you will get some good background on her from her previous owner and/or trainer, even if its that she hates white cats and loves lemon drops!

Pay no attention to the shrew behind the curtain in TN. She obviously went off her happy med's.
    Good luck with the mare. I hope you have found a gem that you will enjoy for years. Keep us posted and let us know how she is doing. And post some pictures when she is doing well.

have to ask what do those of you who feel that the OP got the mare for cheap think this mare's fair market value really is? She may not be ancient but she's aged. She hasn't done anything in at least 3 years if I read things correctly. It doesn't appear to have been proven that she's a sound breeder and there's the possibility that she was donated to the school due to a career ending injury. So what would the rest of you have paid for her and for what purpose with no more history than the OP had to work with?

I hope the mare turns out to suit the OP's needs and she may well do that; but, honestly in this economy I think the mare's price at auction accurately reflected what the market would bear on a gamble.
    so what?
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    I suggest you save your smart ass tone for some one more closely related to to you who can appreciate it's nuances.

Tamara
    Gee Tamara, I have been a professional rider/trainer for almost 40 years and I sure remember most of the countless horses I have shown. Sorry your memory is so limited.

[edit]
    OP keep us informed and post more photos of her with your family.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Apr. 27, 2011 at 07:20 AM.

[edit]

I think finding a previous owner is fantastic (posted my experience) and I ran into a woman at a dressage schooling show, and sitting waiting for the bathroom whilst she groomed her big gelding for a class in the barn, I started talking about my first horse, a 17 hh OTTB, and as I babbled, I finally said her name "Suds" and the woman said, yes, "Here's Suds, I owned her" and I said "No you didn't, I owned her" and she said "I owned her and she took me to Medal mcClays" and I said no way and she said way and I said how old are you and she said a few years yonger than me and damn, if she didn't buy Suds from the trainer I gave her to to sell 9 months after me - talk about Karma, how do you run into someone like that? We talked for an hour or more aabout the mare, how much we both loved her, how she could walk a 4 foot course, she did the same things onher I did, loved her for the same reasons, and I expressed regret having never kept track of her and how I still have nightmares about whatever happened to her and you know what? She told me that she sold her to an older woman who bought her for ammy owner hunter, and showed her a/o for years and hunted her too and she was retired onto her estate with rolling green fields and white fences in Fairfield county CT (told me where and who and I knew it was true) and she had a wonderful life. I haven't had a bad dream about her since.

It was so wonderful telling her about where Suds came from, and finding outwhere she went. Best thing anyone could ever have happen to them, so OP go for it, find the old owners and give them the scoop about themare and make their days happy too.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Apr. 27, 2011 at 07:21 AM.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Well, Tamara, I understand all that. Poor mare, and it seems you have worked through to find out who she is.

My gelding has a modicom of the same kind of ear pinning about feeding and charging the fence at you around food - if a horse is walking by when he's eating he practically will go over the fence at him. But bottom of the feed rung - he was chased off his food in a group; he was bullied and now in his insecurity thinks that's how you act toward other horses, and towards people, but we have come down on him so firmly that he can't behave that way towards people he is pretty good towards people, but can't find a horse he can be with.

But a mare - I know mares too and if he was a mare i despair trying to bully her into behaving around people if she got her back up. I think its really hard. We have a little mare here almost like that.

That is interesting about the hormones and heat. Just whacked and its sad you can't do something about it. Hopefully she finds a place in her world she feels safe. Maybe that's it for her - if you can give her safety even when she's ramped up wonky that's the best for her. And, sometimes it takes years for them to feel safe.

Good luck and thanks for sharing it all about her. You were real and open about it instead of critical of others and that made your experience much more accessible.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

When I saw Tamara on Sunday I didn't notice the red coloration, pitchfork, and tail.

That the OP wants to give an aging mare a chance is fine by me; it's her money.

BUT any BI on this animal should begin with the auction consignor, not a trainer a decade or more back. While the trainer may or may not remember the horse, what they will remember is going to be MORE THAN A DECADE OLD!!!!! Why would any reasonable person seek ancient information is preference to "the latest and greatest"????? And if the mare is working well then why would you care beyond passing interest????? And if the mare is not working well then going back 12 years is far more likely to mislead than to enlighten!!!!!!!

Work with the horse in front of you, not the one it used to be (12 years ago or 2 years ago or two days ago)!!!!!

Really, people, horses have wonderful memories and never forget anything. We just overlay old memories with new ones (and there's no + or - in front of that new memory). Go the last place the horse was and work you way back. You'll have a more harmonius result.

G.

P.S. The fair market value of the horse on the day it was purchased by the OP is $400.00. That number can rise or fall depending upon what the OP does or fails to do.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    When I saw Tamara on Sunday I didn't notice the red coloration, pitchfork, and tail.

you were simply detracted by the facial bruising I get that a lot.
    I'm going to bed,call you tomorrow

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

I can assure you that there is a good chance the old trainer will remember much about the horse. I have trained for 40 years and I rememer each and every horse I've ever ridden more than a few times, and I can tell you a lot about them. I am also a breeder and I remember every foal we've ever raised and their personality and movement, and know their parents and what they are like. I have many times had new owners trace back and contact me about a horse, and I have often been able to give them useful information. Not only that, I am thrilled to hear how the horse is doing!

I'm very glad that the OP is giving this horse another chance, and I think the old owner and trainer might be like me and be very happy to hear about her!

[edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Apr. 27, 2011 at 07:23 AM.

We've done a quick review of the thread and removed some of the recent personal or OT commentary. We'll likely go over it again later to help tone things down.

In the meantime, we're actually going to close it and copy the OP's query to our Missing Horses forum, which can help her with the search without the additional side topics.

Thanks,
    Mod 1