The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Does any one know this mare...bought from GA auction.

Does anyone know this mare? I bought her from an auction. She's a 16 year old Oldenburg from Georgia. Her registered name is Inquisitive and was registered with USEF under the owner Shirley Singleton. The people at the auction told me that the only thing they knew about her was that she was a broodmare and had a dressage background. My daughter got on her yesterday and she must have had some super training because she was beautiful under saddle. We bought her with hopes of turning her into a hunter. She's a little underweight and has no muscle tone. I'm just curious if anyone knows Shirley or this mare. I'm very curious of her past.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fb...0&l=93f3d56880

Shirley Singleton's farm; http://www.rhythmandbalance.com/

You should be able to check results with USDF.

2002 result;

Open 1st 3: 54.286 SHIRLEY SINGLETON; riding Inquisitive (31578), Oldenburg; Shirley Singleton, owner;
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Congratulations on getting what seems to be a very nice mare for cheap any idea why she was at auction?
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

I saw on your Facebook comments that she was purchased for only $400!! That is amazing. How on earth does a mare with that kind of training end up at an auction for $400?

Shirley is up in my area of GA. I don't have any personal experience with her but I've heard her name/her barn mentioned many times. I don't know how that cutie ended up at an auction but I'm glad yall found her. I bet she will make a wonderful hunter since it sounds like she has a solid foundation.

Congatzzz on your very lovely mare!!! It amazes me that a ne this was at auction...so glad you rescued her!!! Best wishes for her future which seems to be brightening!!!
    "Success comes in cans, not in cannots!"

Quote Originally Posted by Weighaton View Post
    I saw on your Facebook comments that she was purchased for only $400!! That is amazing. How on earth does a mare with that kind of training end up at an auction for $400?
    one that is 16yos,thin and not ridden in 3 years.
    I wonder what people are supposed to think a trainer will remember about a horse they rode 9 years ago?

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Thanks yall! My 13 year old is head over heels in love with her. I'm having the vet out next week to check her out. We bought her from the University of Georgia's annual reproduction auction. We also came home with a yearling and a 2 year old QH ...not sure how that happened there but they are super sweet and the 2 year old is a cute mover and has excellent ground manners.

From what I understand from the students at UGA, she was donated to the breeding program but they did not breed her because they only breed QH's. They had her for 3 years turned out in the pasture and then decided she needed to go. I'm not sure if she had a career ending injury or what happened. My daughter is taking it super slow with her and is actually asking to take dressage lessons with her. Hunters is her love but she says dressage will only help her in the hunter ring. I'm just curious as to why she was donated to UGA. I was hoping that maybe someone had seen her. Shirley looks like an amazing rider so I have no doubt that this mare has had quality training.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    I wonder what people are supposed to think a trainer will remember about a horse they rode 9 years ago?

Tamara
    Not sure I understand what you are saying but surprise surprise some trainers do remember horses they rode 9 years ago. I'm trying to find any kind of information that I can on this mare to HELP this mare. I don't see the problem in calling up the previous owner regardless of how long ago it was.

Years ago, I worked at a school that got a lot of horses donated. People donate horses for a lot of reasons: can get a big tax break on a horse that is servicable sound but might be harder to sell, they are alumni, ....

Quote Originally Posted by melindagates View Post
    Not sure I understand what you are saying but surprise surprise some trainers do remember horses they rode 9 years ago. I'm trying to find any kind of information that I can on this mare to HELP this mare. I don't see the problem in calling up the previous owner regardless of how long ago it was.
    I suggest you save your smart ass tone for some one more closely related to to you who can appreciate it's nuances.

unless they had personal long term connections to an animal, professional trainers that I know would be hard pressed to give REALLY useful info on a horse that they rode to 1st level 9 years ago.

I'm glad you got an old mare cheap and hope she has a great home with you.

Tamara
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Tamara if anyone has a Smart Ass Tone - IT'S YOU. Good heavens - you must have a huge ego and a short memory. Many trainers remember horses they have worked with decades ago. It was a legitimate request by this woman to find out more information.

Melinda - good luck with the mare - it's nice that she is in use and that you were able to buy her. Too often these college riding/breeding programs don't care if they end up at the meat market. Hope you daughter has fun with her.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Default WOW!

I suggest you save your smart ass tone for some one more closely related to to you who can appreciate it's nuances.

unless they had personal long term connections to an animal, professional trainers that I know would be hard pressed to give REALLY useful info on a horse that they rode to 1st level 9 years ago.

Tamara

After 30+ years of training horses and riding professionally, I would be embarrassed if I DIDN'T remember any horse that I worked with for any reasonable amount of time.

I don't consider a 16 year old mare to be OLD! OP, best of luck to you and your daughter and your new mare. Bless you for giving her a chance at a better life, I hope she proves herself to be very worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by ise@ssl View Post
    Tamara if anyone has a Smart Ass Tone - IT'S YOU. Good heavens - you must have a huge ego and a short memory. Many trainers remember horses they have worked with decades ago. It was a legitimate request by this woman to find out more information.
    what are you talking about...? horse trainers that I know who touch more than 10 a year remember the best and the worst and the others are just sort of there,require a solid memory jog and then it's a big <mehhh>

she got an old thin mare cheap not ridden in three years and after one ride she's in frame and gonna be a hunter...the mares only saving grace is that she is a WB...

what did UGA say about the mare ? how long did they have her? why did they have her? why did they sell her?

seems to me it's more pertinent to the mares's health and happiness to find out the immediate past of an animal, not a few rides 9 years ago...but whatever...

again what REALLY useful info does she hope to get...after 9 years?

really ? my ego is not in the game here.

Tamara

I have to ask what do those of you who feel that the OP got the mare for cheap think this mare's fair market value really is? She may not be ancient but she's aged. She hasn't done anything in at least 3 years if I read things correctly. It doesn't appear to have been proven that she's a sound breeder and there's the possibility that she was donated to the school due to a career ending injury. So what would the rest of you have paid for her and for what purpose with no more history than the OP had to work with?

I hope the mare turns out to suit the OP's needs and she may well do that; but, honestly in this economy I think the mare's price at auction accurately reflected what the market would bear on a gamble.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Tamara

I wrote to Marcia Carabell to tell her I had bought a horse she owned and trained and road training eventing on for one or two years and then sold to a firend of mine. She wrote right back with memories of him and his assets and abilities and details of the training and events she rode him in. From what I gather there are mamy horses which pass through her hands for training, sales or as a potential mount for her or her students, and she didn't seem to have any problem talking about one from 6 years ago. I don't know why a trainer wouldn't be able to remember one from 9 years ago.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Tamara
    I guess I've been a smartass online too, plenty of times. Welcome to the club!

Quote Originally Posted by exvet View Post
    I have to ask what do those of you who feel that the OP got the mare for cheap think this mare's fair market value really is?

I hope the mare turns out to suit the OP's needs and she may well do that; but, honestly in this economy I think the mare's price at auction accurately reflected what the market would bear on a gamble.
    Whatever someone would pay for her. The OP bought her without knowing too much about her, and apparently saw something. - out of work and on the older side of 10, thin and "unchampioned" - $400.00

As abovve, sold by her then current owner, representing her as a nice mare with a good background who could be brought back to work - $1000.00, sound.

All of the above, with papers, a detailed history, healthier and 3 months of gettin back to work under saddle - $1500 to 2000 depending on her health and conditioning, and a solid vetting of her next owner, and I would be happy.

The above after a winter of reconditioning indoors, a spring hacking out, some schooling shows and nice scores training level dressage and one or two spring rated dressage shows to see how she does 1st, a tidy $4,000 to be ready for her next "life" and new owner.

Tamara who tee-teed in your cornflakes? Your attitude is the worst.
    OP, GORGEOUS mare, perfect ending to her story. I bet she will teach your daughter a lot, plus she will get the love and carrots she deserves. She is gorgeous!!!
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

what did UGA say about the mare ? how long did they have her? why did they have her? why did they sell her?

seems to me it's more pertinent to the mares's health and happiness to find out the immediate past of an animal, not a few rides 9 years ago...but whatever...
    Tamara, did you bother to read the thread before you ranted on?
    The OP answered these questions already.

Quote Originally Posted by melindagates View Post
    From what I understand from the students at UGA, she was donated to the breeding program but they did not breed her because they only breed QH's. They had her for 3 years turned out in the pasture and then decided she needed to go.

If the trainer does not remember this specific horse I highly doubt the trainer will be offended at being contacted. So why, Tamara, do you find it so repulsive that someone wants to ask?

The OP will not be any further behind if this trainer does not remember this horse.