The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sources of oil for a high-fat/low carb diet

My mare has started turning her nose up at the Cool Calories we've been feeding. Any suggestions for alternate sources of oil that is NOT a liquid...?

She currently gets a 14% fat feed designed for this kind of diet, but we need to supplement it. I'd think the quantity of Rice Bran or Flax would be excessive... any suggestions??
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

My mare gets Uckele's Equi-Omega complex in the winter (when oil is difficult to feed). Its a dry fatty acid formula. From Uckele's website:

A dry, essential fatty acid formula that blends Cocosoya, stabilized flax seed and stabilized rice bran in a highly palatable formula.
    * Excellent for Weight Gain
    * Added Benefit of Flaxseed Meal
    * Great for Hair Coat and Hoof Health
    * Made with CocoSoya

not everyone likes BOSS because of the high levels of omega 6, but that is also a possibility.

Horsetech makes a high fat supplement for weight gain called Radiance. I've never used it, although I've used other Horsetech supplements and they all are high quality.

You can ask them for a sample as well.

http://horsetech.com/radiance.htm#Qu... Product Pages
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Thanks! Has anyone tried Cocosoya oil??? Just wondering if my mare might like the taste better...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    Thanks! Has anyone tried Cocosoya oil??? Just wondering if my mare might like the taste better...
    I have used cocosoya and my horses have all loved it. Great for hiding other stuff that they don't particularly like. But you mentioned wanting a fat source that is not a liquid, so cocosoya wouldn't meet that criteria, of course.

I have a mare like this as well. She will usually eat cool calories. She will eat rice bran thankfully, but I am feeding her a lot of it and she still probably needs more fat. I was trying to sneak in oil, but she figured it out and stopped eating...grr

I am been thinking about cososya oil as people will say picky eater will eat it. I have tried to get a free sample from Unckele, but with no luck.

I don't want to buy the big thing than not have her eat it. My gelding is also not wild about oil, so don't really have another horse to feed it to if she turns it down.

Also... how about Buckeye Ultimate Finish 100? Any idea what the taste/texture is like...?

I use the Buckeye Ultimate Finish 25 and the horses love the taste. It smells good too.

Is the fat for EPSM? If so, consider cutting the fat and trying Acetyl L-Carnitine, 1 gram/100lbs. Really worked for a mare I was rehabbing. Her muscles got nice and soft and no chance of leading to IR from high fat.

You can't go wrong with Buckeye Ultimate Finish. Don't bother with the 100 or 40. There's no nutrition in it at all - it's just stabilized vegetable fat.

But the 25% - WOW. You would not believe the results you will get with it. It is fabulous stuff.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Cocosoya is now available in a powder - it's in the Smart Paks for one of my clients' horses.

Good sources are also beet pulp and flax. I prefer those as my top "fillers" for horses who need more calories from fiber & fat. Then rice bran - although my neediest horse won't eat the rice bran but will scarf down soaked (but not sopping wet) beet pulp as well as flax seed.

Am not a fan of oil - messy to deal with and Mr. Finicky doesn't like it (yes, he dictates my feeding options).
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

My mare is allergic to flaxseed. Highly allergic of course. She won't eat beet pulp either. Good to know about the Cocosoya in powder form...which of course has flaxseed in it.

Good Luck OP! Picky horses are a pain!

Ditto the advice that "Buckeye Ultimate Finish is expensive, but it works REALLY well." If Buckeye is hard to get in your area, some other feed brands make similar products. I "hate on" Purina in most cases, but their Purina Amplify high-fat nugget is a very decent product and is similar to Buckeye Ultimate Finish.

If the only issue with liquid oil is the taste, then your wallet may appreciate exploring options for liquid oils + taste additives. For example, I have heard of people using vegetable or canola oil + coconut milk to get a taste profile similar to Cocosoya. It's a little ghetto but it works.