The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle suggestions for an Oldenburg Chunky Monkey

(posting under Mom's alter)

I have a 4 yo old 15h Oldenburg (GRP cross) who I am bringing along and I'm not sure what to do about a saddle. I broke her in a Wintec with a wide tree (inherited the pony withers..) in case she decided to be silly in it. Also, with the adjustable trees I thought it would be the most economical.

But now she has matured and grown and I've been having much difficulty with my canter departs. She IS a mare, so I have to take into account a little bit of 'tude, but this was over the top. Lots of leaping, bucking, kicking, thrashing etc. But didn't do it in the trot, walk, or when she eventually picked up the canter she was very polite, so thought it was just a training stage, and so did my trainer.

Until I was messing around bareback and she eagerly picked up both leads no problem. So I tried my trainer's $5k saddle, and of course, it fit her to a T. No arguments, no fussing, just swinging back, happy happy mare.Being a college student and extreemely broke, my parents have agreed to splurge to get me a custom saddle as a graduation present next spring. But obviously I need something between now and then! So I have a Wintec and a Niedersuss, neither of which fit her. Do I sell both to buy an in-between saddle? I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish by saving money on a saddle and paying for it later in chiropractic work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Erin

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/...April12011.jpg
    Last edited by MediaMD; Apr. 25, 2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: added picture

without more information it's impossible to say. If you are talking about a wide-backed, round profile, then look at Duett saddles as you may need a hoop-type tree.

She is built sort of like a pony (short back, not pronounced withers). we are scheduling a professional saddle fitting in a month or so to look at used saddles, but we wanted to have some knowledge of potential saddle brands before then.

I'm not familiar with the Duett, but I will look into it. Thanks!

Default Just found the OTHER thread with a similar problem..

I'll look through those posts first and then if necessary come back and post here. My Daily Grace (if you know the stallions FS Daily Hero and FS Don't Worry she is very similar to them) may have a more "womanly" figure than the OP on the other thread but sounds like we have similar horses to fit.

thanks
    Erin

So it seems to me you know what fits her since your trainer's saddle "fits her to a T". What is it? Why not just find a used one? Or at least find saddles that are similar to that saddle.

If you already know exactly what fits it seems pretty simple.

albion saddles are great saddles

you can rent from here if they carry your trainer's brand and then your folks can help toward the rest later:

http://www.equestrianimports.com/sho...s/info_11.html
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Default Lovatt & Ricketts has a hoop tree too

Check Trumbull Mountain - you'll see MANY saddles appropriate for your "overgrown pony"

I love the Lovatt & Ricketts saddles! Underated in the US (not as well known) They are made in Walsall, England and are of the same quality as County, IMHO

http://www.trumbullmtn.com/store/new...vatt-ricketts/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

It might be hard to find one, but I just bought a used Lynn Palm model dressage saddle made by Forestier. It's a very nice saddle, very 'not deep' seat, and extra wide. It's made to fit 'chunky monkey' quarter horses and my two broadly backed 16hh warmbloods like it.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've never even heard of some of these saddles, so I'm excited to check some of them out

@Perfect Pony: I would love to get a used one of her saddles, but it's a custom saddle so there aren't any used ones. I've looked at some of his "demo" saddles that aren't as expensive, but even then they are in the $4k range.