The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Trip to virginia, need advise

I have a business trip to Fredericksburg Virginia the 26th of May. I'm thinking of bringing my husband and staying the weekend since it is Memorial day and I already have that Friday off.

I need advice of where to stay and what to see. Already have Horse Country and Middleburg tack exchange on my list as well as the Museum at Morven Park.

Also need to throw in some battlefields and Museum's to keep the Hubby happy. We'll be flying in and out of BWI.

Also I have some foxhunting boots and appointments that I want to sell. Is the Middleburg Tack Exchange the best place to sell things on consignment?

And isn't the hound show that Sunday? Do I need tickets?
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

The Wilderness Battlefield is just west of Fredricksburg on Route 3. If you take Rt 3 to Culpeper and then head north on 29 to Warrenton, you can also stop at Brandy Station which has a small museum about the battle of Brandy Station.

If you like wine I would recommend stopping in at Old House Winery which is also on Rt 3 just east of Culpeper. There is also Marterella Winery just north of Warrenton on Rt 17 (behind the old Ben and Mary's Steak House). Katherine Marterella always has something interesting going on on holiday weekends.

Chancellorsville Battlefield is pretty nice too.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

http://virginiafoxhoundclub.org/
    Come to the Hound Show!

Default Horses and History

On your way between Warrenton and Middleburg, don't forget to tour the Bull Run battlefield. Others know it as the battlefield for the 1st and 2nd Manassas fights where Stonewall Jackson got his name. You can rent horses to ride the battlefields instead of walking them. Lots of walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Belg View Post
    Chancellorsville Battlefield is pretty nice too.
    It is very nice and just a few miles outside of town. You should visit Ferry Farm, Kenmore, and the Fredericksburg Civil War sites and cemetaries.

Check with Horse Country (now on Facebook!) because in years past they have always packed up the store and brought it to Hound Show on Sunday (when the store was traditionally closed). But in 2008 two of us stayed at the store, while some of the crew was at Hound Show. So call to be sure. If you go to Warrenton on Friday, not only can you go to the main store, but their discount store, Horse Country on Fifth is open until 3:30.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Well, I was thinking of doing Horse Country and the Middleburg tack exchange on Friday.

Any thoughts on the best place to stay?

Any other thoughts on consignment shops?

Love the suggestions so far.....keep them coming.

Also interested in restaurant recommendations.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

I'm not a fan of the restaurants in Middleburg. There is Hunter's Head in Upperville which is about 5 miles west of Middleburg.

I like Iron Bridge Wine Company in Warrenton. Its good for lunch or dinner.

In culpeper there are several good restaurants. Foti's - Mediterranean, Lucia- Italian It's about Thyme - Continental. All are good and require reservations. They are in downtown culpeper and there are some nice shops in the area.

If you don't mind driving a bit west of Culpeper, there is Thornton River Grill. This is one of the best in the area.

Of course if you want a five star dining experience, you could go the Inn at Little Wahington which is about 20 miles west of Culpeper.

It all kinds of matter where you stay. Culpeper has some B&B in the area plus several hotels. Warrenton is the same. Middleburg has B&B but no hotels. Leesburg has several hotels and B&B.

And for food - Carmello's in Manassas was one of my favourites.

Have a wonderful trip! I miss being down there.

Quote Originally Posted by cagey22 View Post
    And for food - Carmello's in Manassas was one of my favourites.
    Not positive, but I THINK they are clossed for renovation.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I don't know of 'rental horses' in the Manassas Battlefield (though I could be incorrect - I don't think there are.)
    Stay here! I can take you and hub for a hack if you want during your very rare time off.
    Definitely the hound show. It is one of those events you don't want to miss. EVERYbody will be there.
    We should make a rendezvous spot for the whole gang.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

I second Hunter's Head for dinner and also give a thumbs-up to the French Hound in Middleburg, which we've always found to be great. They have a website at http://www.thefrenchhound.com/.

Other tack shops to check out: the Galloping Grape in Warrenton (also carries wine) and Tri-County Feeds Etc in Marshall (on the way from Warrenton to Middleburg).

Another great restaurant in Old Town Warrenton is the Black Bear Bistro, the food is great and local, and they have a nice patio for outdoor seating when the weather is nice.

Someone mentioned the Hunt Country Stable Tour, which I have not had the chance to do, but I hear it is always really neat to see the farms around here up close and personal.
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

Thumbs up

While you are at Morven make sure to tour the mansion and the carriage museum as well. I believe that may also be the weekend of the annual PVDA Dressage show as well, so you could take in some musical freestyles.
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

http://www.fotisrestaurant.com/menu.cfm?menuid=1
    This place got the thumbs up from a friend recently. I agree w/ Hunter's Rest, we should try to meet up a the hound show!

Exclamation Exhibit Honors the Women of Foxhunting

Just got this from Morven as well:
    Exhibit Honors the Women of Foxhunting

The world of foxhunting will be the main focus at Morven Park during the weekend of May 28-29. Events will include the first induction of a female into the Huntsmen's Room (the "Hall of Fame" for foxhunters) and the opening of a new exhibit at the Museum of Hounds & Hunting of North America.

On Saturday, the public is invited to attend the induction of three new members into the Huntsmen's Room at 4 p.m., just outside the Westmoreland Davis Mansion at Morven Park.

The 2011 inductees are Nancy Penn Smith Hannum of Chester County, Pa., a woman who was at the forefront of land conservation for many decades, plus two brothers who are legendary among foxhunters throughout North America, Melvin M. Poe and Albert O. Poe of Virginia.

Immediately following the induction, doors will open to the newly installed exhibit in the Museum of Hounds & Hunting of North America, located in the North Wing of the Mansion. The exhibit, titled "Ladies of the Chase," focuses on the role of women throughout the history of the sport of foxhunting.

The weekend ends with Sunday's Virginia Foxhound Club show, featuring about 800 hounds from as far as California, Canada, and even Great Britain.

To learn more about Mrs. Hannum, Melvin and Albert Poe, about the exhibit, and the foxhound show, go to www.MorvenPark.org/e-news.

Gift of Services Assists in Mapping Civil War Site

Thunderbird Archeology, a division of Wetland Studies and Solutions, Inc. (WSSI), located in Gainesville, Va., recently donated its services to Morven Park to survey the property's Civil War encampment site. This survey will lead to development of a concise map, indicating exactly where Confederate soldiers built and lived in huts during the winter of 1861-1862.

Morven Park's Director of Preservation Jana Shafagoj described the donation as "hugely valuable to us."

Upcoming Events at Morven Park
    Sunday, May 1, 1 p.m.
    Arbor Day Tree Tour & Planting Workshop
    Guided by Morven Park Horticulturalist Keith McMillan, tour the grounds and learn about the various species of trees, plus how to plant and care for them. Receive a native tree seedling to plant at home. $10/person.

Sunday, May 8, Noon - 2 p.m.
    Mother's Day Picnic in the Garden
    Picnic lunch in the Mansion garden, provided by Morven Park. Enjoy the perennial plantings and reflecting pool, and make your own container garden. Mansion tour included in admission. $10/ea.

Saturday-Sunday, May 14-15, all-day event.
    Invitational "Lure Coursing" Competition
    Watch sleek and swift sighthounds (such as whippets, greyhounds, and Afghans) that hunt using sight rather than smell, as they race against the clock to catch pretend prey. Spectators welcome at no charge.

Sunday, May 15, all day.
    Hunter Pace 10 a.m. & History Trail Ride 2 - 5 p.m.
    Area hunt clubs compete in an all-day event, and trail riders explore Morven Park's established trails, stopping for discussions of local history along the way. Trail ride $30.

Saturday, May 21, 2 - 4 p.m.
    Conserving Family Heirlooms
    As part of Morven Park's new Lecture Series, art conservator Margaret Bardwell will lead a discussion on maintaining your own family art pieces. Tour the Mansion and enjoy light refreshments. $15/person.

Coming in June...
    The Governor's Country Fair!
    Sun., June 5, 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.
    Free homemade ice cream donated by Moo Thru. Activities include something for all ages: vendors, demonstrations, kid's activities, carriage driving demos, live music, hands-on fun. $10/carload.
    Princess Parade!
    Sun., June 12, 1 p.m. - 3 p.m.
    Princes and Princesses, your carriage awaits you! Bring your family's young royalty to Morven Park for a fairytale day of "happily ever after." A tour through the Winmill Carriage Museum provides an up-close look at coaches similar to those in William & Kate's wedding procession. Be sure to take a photo of your prince, princess, or royal coachman in the Caleche, a carriage used by Princess Grace in the movie The Swan, in which she portrayed a princess shortly before her own royal wedding. Children will craft their own crowns, scepters, and carriage horns to be used in a parade to the mansion, followed by sweet treats on the portico. Children are encouraged to wear princess, prince, or coachman costumes.
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

Quote Originally Posted by Hounds View Post
    I second Hunter's Head for dinner and also give a thumbs-up to the French Hound in Middleburg, which we've always found to be great. They have a website at http://www.thefrenchhound.com/.
    Second the French Hound...the skirt steak with pom frittes is great!

In Marshall, VA there's also Tri-County Feed which has a really neat tack store...2-level, open construction etc.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Talking Lots to see/do!

If you're in the Warrenton area; be sure to call me & meet for dinner/lunch or something! Houndshow sunday but sat afternoon is the hound show seminar. Then that evening the reception at the Morven Park mansion for the Museum of Hounds and Hunting & the induction ceremonies, horn blowing contest etc.