The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What to wear in your thirties?

I need help! I've always been an A & F and American Eagle kind of girl, I mean everything is just so livable and comfy! So now that I'm in my thirties I've been questioning whether it's still ok to be wearing these types of clothes. I avoid anything with a logo emblazoned across the butt or the chest but I have to say I would feel silly meeting a teenager with the same clothes. Any ideas or new store options I should check out?

I'm 35 and my entire summer wardrobe is made up of AE cargo shorts and tanks. I just try to avoid the shirts with any sort of writing on them.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Ann Taylor Loft. You're welcome.

I'm in my 30s too and love, love, love shopping at Ann Taylor Loft.

I would suggest checking out J.Crew for some really great pieces. Nordstrom is great as well. Plus, both stores have free personal stylists--take advantage of it.

One thing I do check out fashion blogs because I like to see what other girls my age are wearing. I'm a full-time college student and hate the I just rolled out of bed look. What works for your lifestyle? What is your body type? Have a preference for dresses or pants?

Here are some neat places I shop at...

Zara, Urban Outfitters, Nordstrom, Bluefly, Cusp, Piperlime, Shopbop, Asos, Topshop, BCBG, and on occasion Forever 21.

Quote Originally Posted by drewsbadboy View Post
    I'm in my 30s too and love, love, love shopping at Ann Taylor Loft.
    I am in my late 20's, and well past the point of a $24 sequined mini dress from Joyce Leslie.

I'm a bit older, but I love JJill!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

A couple other options include White House Black Market, the brand INC, some stuff from Express (use some discretion), NY&Co.

OK for whom? For what purpose? Who are we trying to impress?
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

I often go to this website for inspiration:
    http://whatiwore.tumblr.com/

She has great style that is very appropriate for the 30something crowd!

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

I wear whatever is clean . Or steal from my 17 yo daughter. I buy my jeans from the kids section at JC Pennies ( plain pocket no butterflies or anything LOL) because they fit better and are cheaper, same with the plain T shirts .... Oh and I'm 38
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

Quote Originally Posted by Melelio View Post
    OK for whom? For what purpose? Who are we trying to impress?
    That's always been my philosophy on fashion. I'm in my early forties and have a closet full of "timeless" stuff. Target (yes! I prefer to spend money on anything but clothes! ) makes a lot of really cute fitted t-shirts that I'm sure are intended for juniors and twentysomethings. Don't care. I'm fit, and they are comfortable and do look good on me.

My company has no dress code other than "please don't come to work naked", so I can get away with having a mostly casual wardrobe. I do have a few outfits suitable for professional events and the like, just in case.

If you like American Eagle I see no reason to stop shopping there.

I'm in my 30s but at work I wear scrubs or uniform, thankfully. On the rare occasions when I have to wear something "work-like" that isn't one of the above but also isn't dressy/interview clothing, I have stuff from Ann Taylor Loft or Talbot's.

Otherwise in my daily life I wear jeans and whatever top I manage to grab. I have a whole bunch of nice, writing/pic-free T-shirts that are somewhat fitted, and they work just fine.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Eddie Bauer, Lands End and LL Bean because they make tall sizes! Really love Eddie Bauer right now. Also Ann Taylor, not loft. J crew, some of what Banana Republic has. And Ralph Lauren

In my 30's and had to rethink my wardrobe now as a wife and mother and also someone who tripled their size form a 2 to 6.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Banana Republic is probably my favorite. Just bought a bunch of things at BR and Ann Taylor Loft. Ann Taylor is nice too. Talbots IMO can be a bit expensive and can send you a bit into the "ladies who lunch" look. At the mall, some Jones New York, some Ralph Lauren. No to Eileen Fisher (not tailored enough for me). Still mourning the closing of Harrolds.

When I'm bargin hunting or for more trendy items, I read magazines, hit the mall, then go to Kohls. My go to source for $20 blazers to wear to work. I would definitely shop at H&M if we had one in our area.

I see AE jeans on almost everyone of every age.

I live in blazers, even wear them on the weekends a lot, so I haunt the sale racks at BR, Ann Taylor and department stores and buy when I see a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    Eddie Bauer, Lands End and LL Bean because they make tall sizes! Really love Eddie Bauer right now. Also Ann Taylor, not loft. J crew, some of what Banana Republic has. And Ralph Lauren

In my 30's and had to rethink my wardrobe now as a wife and mother and also someone who tripled their size form a 2 to 6.
    Going up 2 sizes is expanding your waistline a few inches, not tripling your size. There are plenty of people who would not have a problem with being a size 6 at any point in life

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    Going up 2 sizes is expanding your waistline a few inches, not tripling your size. There are plenty of people who would not have a problem with being a size 6 at any point in life
    Ahem...

Agreed!

Size 6 never seen it

I'd marry the Gap if I could.

Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, Loft, White House, Express (some.) J Crew, etc.

Really depends on your style.

I still buy some jeans at American Eagle, and occasionally other pieces, but I find that I have strayed away from anything with a logo.

(Technically I am not in my 30s, but I'm getting close to that number...)
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

The Gap has always classic, trendy-but-basic styles. Express has a lot of good stuff too, but leans more towards a sassier, trendy style (that may look outdated in a couple of years depending on the clothes).

One of my favorite clothing places to shop these days is actually Victoria's Secret. Not the whole silly "PINK!!!!!" thing (ick). But they have super decent-quality clothes without logos. Everything from basic tanks in all kinds of styles to jeans, to casual wrap dresses to sparkly little black dresses, trench coats, leather jackets, shorts etc. Of course, you have to kind of know your sizing and your style, because I'm pretty sure none of the actual VS stores carry the clothing lines. They have a really broad selection of colors and sizes and for the most part are reasonably priced. I'm definitely a fan!

I've never found Old Navy jeans particularly flattering on me but many women love them.I sure love their solid-colored tops (or stripes, just without labels, text, etc). If I find something that looks particularly cute I buy it in several colors (two in white, because of my affinity for wearing my meals).
    I'll back up the suggestions of ann taylor (and loft), BR, gap. Happy shopping!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)