The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Do you have this constant desire to get back on

and do it better???

Ok, maybe I've gone over the deep edge, but I barely take my mare back to her paddock and I start itching to get back on and do it all again. And better.

She is currently my only horse to ride. I ride 4 days a week -- which is in my current work/life/horse scenario as good as it gets.

The days I don't ride I try to be productive with yoga, running, reading etc. mostly workin' though, but the fact that saddle time seems so precious and never quite enough is really taking over my life. Can I be helped?
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

Just keep reminding yourself that for the horse, some of the most important lessons are those that end early.

Remember that the end of the work is the reward for the horse and capitalize on that idea each time you ride. Set her up for success, get the "yes" answer and move on.

Nothing wrong with being passionate!!!!
    "Success comes in cans, not in cannots!"

Honey, we should form a clique!
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

No, not really. I mean I usually focus on achieving small increments of progress and end on a good note. Some horses I can expect more, some less. I always end my rides with a plan of what I'm going to do next time/ride to achieve more progress and/or solidify what we just accomplished. The difference might be that I ride several horses, 2-3 a night (and not always the same one consecutively). As my kids have taken over their own mounts much more now, I only have to tune up their's occasionally; but, I also ride 3 of my own regularly. So when I finish with one there is usually another to climb aboard on or work I've brought home that I must finish.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Just to clarify, I always ride my mare the way (and length) she needs to be ridden at the time, i.e. I don't ride longer just because I'd like to. And we always end a good note and lots of praise. I also spend plenty of quality time with her grooming, handwalking etc.

And I always have looked forward to riding, but with her it somehow is becoming more of a life cause ... . And this is also the first time in a few years that I only ride one horse (she does single-hoofedly make up for 3 though! ).
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

Sounds like you're enamored with your horse. Nothing wrong with that. Some of us have just become too busy and too old to stop and smell the roses I suppose.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Yes. It always takes discipline to stop when it's best for the horse rather than for me!
    The aids are the legs, the hands, the weight of the rider, the whip, the caress, the voice and the use of extraneous circumstances. ~ General Decarpentry
    www.reflectionsonriding.com

I once was asked if I would spend all my waking hours upon the back of horses. I said for sure, if food and water could be brought to me.
    I recognize that down time is good for our horses.........but there is no place I would rather be than on the back of the horse engaged in the wondrous dance between us.
    www.hartetoharte.org
    Ask and allow, do not demand and force.

A trainer once told me that no single horse can be ridden enough to make a really good rider. While she was trying to sell me a "practice" horse as an addition to my "show" horse, I've come to realize that she's pretty much right.

Riding multiple horses is a great way to increase your saddle time and tune your skills. Now, if only there were more hours in the day ...

I don't think you can be helped as many of us suffer from that! :P
    I usually ride one horse after school, but in the summer or on the days off i ride about 3-4 horses of different levels of training and age.

@atlatl you are right. riding more horses is a lot better, but sometimes there is just no time for that.

Default in a word, yes

OP: Yes. I do the same. I am having a lot of fun with my mares (2) now and as I walk them back to the barn I often have an urge to get back on and do some more.

The challenge is that as the work gets harder it is important not to 'drill' even though I am enjoying the feeling (when it comes together).

What I do is try to ride the dressage tests in my head - when grooming, driving home, whatever, and concentrate hard on doing each movement well. Takes a good bit of time ...

enjoy :-)
    Forward...go forward