The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hunter hair procedures for short hair?

OK all - as a part of my pre-mature midlife crisis I cut off my hair. Was below the shoulder, now is Meg Ryan short.

So, how do you do hunter hair when you have short hair that is just long enough it can curl out from beneath your helmet?

OR - do you just not show till you grow it back out?

Do like the men do and go without the hairnet.

There's a trick with pantyhose, but frankly if you don't have enough hair to cover your ears what's the point in pretending you do?

I'm just now growing my hair out from super short, as in it took 7 months of growth for me to get a tiny pony tail with maybe 1/2 my hair up in it. I just made sure to tuck in whatever flyaways I could and off I went.

The "panty hose" trick is very easy, and gives you hair to go over your ears. Much prettier than putting it all under your helmet and looking like a boy. I did so all through college while doing IHSA and A/Os, and recently feared I might need to do so again after a recent restyle, but lo and behold still have just enough of my own hair to make it work the regular way.
    First, you'll need to match a pair of stockings to your hair color. I'm blond, so it was a little tricky, but nothing you can't accomplish in the hosiery section of a fine department store. You can use either a knee high or one leg of a pair of pantyhose. Wrap it around your head just over your ears where the edge of the hairnet would go and tie off a knot at the back. The knot is your new ponytail, so if you are using hose, cut of the rest. Leaving the stockings over your ears with knot in back, pull your shorth hair down over top. Cover everything in a hairnet, then rubber band your "ponytail" with hairnet right over top. Tuck knot and net under helmet back to front, just like if you had a real hair pontail. Voila

Several women at my barn have short hair. One simply goes without a hairnet and it looks perfectly fine. The other lady has hair slightly longer, more along the lines of yours I think, and she still does a normal hairnet that looks really good. I think you could really go either way!
    "Many are riders; many are craftsmen; but few are artists on horseback."
    ~George Morris

Thanks guys!
    It is just long enough that it wings out from under my ears a bit when my helmet is on. Drives me nutty cause I like a nice crisp look.

When mine was that short I just stacked a few thick hairnets. Looked the same.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Well you could opt for the pantyhose look .. soo if I were you I'd either wear a couple of hairnets or I'd search out a couple of pics of Meredith Michaels Beerbaum - I'd much rather wear my hair like hers than plopping a couple of pantyhose on my head

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    When mine was that short I just stacked a few thick hairnets. Looked the same.
    Yup! Use 2-3 good hairnets-tie up the end in knots and trim (because the nets are so stretchy). Add bobby pins to tuck up any loose ends. I cut mine off when the approved helmets came into being. Wasn't any point anymore, really can't see much hair.
    Nobody puts baby in a corner

My DD recently cut her hair so she can't get it into a ponytail, but it isn't soo short, and while we were pondering how to make her hair look "normal" under her helmet at a show a week or two ago, one of my good friends from another barn had a great idea!

She said to get a narrow (think 1") black or brown headband (the stretchy cloth kind) and use that to tuck in all the naughty fly aways and escaping hairs. In the area where you would have hair/hairnet over the ears, just put the headband over the ears there and it looks just like "hunter hair"!!

Tried it and it works great! Whew, disaster averted!
    www.CastleHeartFarms.com
    Hunters, Jumpers, Equitation and Ponies
    Don't practice until you do it right, practice until you can't do it wrong!

I cut mine off last year and my first thought afterwards was 'how will I do my hair for shows?' I figured out the easiest way was to just use two hairnets. I got the single knot ones from Smartpak, they are great. I just put them on like normal and gather up the back with a ponytail holder like I would if my hair was longer, and tuck that up under the back of my helmet. I think it looks just fine, hard to tell I have short hair under it!

The women I've known with short hair have just used some mousse or similar product to keep their hair neat/smooth, then put a hairnet over top. I was always jealous because my hair is so thick, it takes forever to get it to be comfortable under my helmet. I've seriously thought of cutting it off just for it to be easier to put up for shows!

I hate the feeling of hairnet/hair over my ears, so I'm an abject failure at hunter hair.

I just use a hairnet if my hair is long enough to stick out or blow into my face or feel hot on the back of my neck.

So long as it is tidy, I'm pretty sure the only people who would notice are the ones who sit around and post on COTH about wrapping pantyhose around their head.

Quick question, and I don't mean to hijack.

Is it that important to have hunter hair? I have a pixie cut so nothing is sticking out from under my helmet anyway but regardless, I always thought that as long as you were tidy and nothing was flying away that that was ok. Someone mentioned that you don't want it loose so you won't look like a man. I am not concerned that I'll be mistaken for a man but it got me thinking, does the hair make up that much of the image? Like enough to be putting pantyhose on your head, not to rein in flyways, which, I totally get, but to create the look?
    Audaces fortuna iuvat.

For me, I don't care about the the hunter look as much as I worry about the fly-aways and looking sloppy.

I hate having hair down over my ears - never school that way, only in the show ring.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

This has been a time honored topic on this BB. There is a great thread that is actually archived on the Reference section:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=31913
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I am intrigued! But I can't open any of the photos on that archived thread. It comes up that all those webshots are gone... bummer!
    Audaces fortuna iuvat.

Quote Originally Posted by JLD View Post
    Quick question, and I don't mean to hijack.

Is it that important to have hunter hair? I have a pixie cut so nothing is sticking out from under my helmet anyway but regardless, I always thought that as long as you were tidy and nothing was flying away that that was ok. Someone mentioned that you don't want it loose so you won't look like a man. I am not concerned that I'll be mistaken for a man but it got me thinking, does the hair make up that much of the image? Like enough to be putting pantyhose on your head, not to rein in flyways, which, I totally get, but to create the look?
    Personally, I don't care for hunter hair. I guess it looks ok, but it's uncomfortable to me to have my ears pinned under my hair and I think I look like a cafeteria worker from 1950.

It seems like I'm in the minority, but I am a dedicated hunter-hair-wearer! I'm totally a supporter of to each his own, so if you don't agree that's fine. But for me it doesn't matter if I'm showing at Washington or taking my retired OTTB for a bareback trail ride around the farm in 100-degree-weather, my hair is neatly up in perfect "hunter hair" with a hairnet. It makes me feel nice and neat and tidy. Plus I've been doing it for so long that I can do it in about 20 seconds flat with no mirror, brush, anything. I'm lucky to have straight, mid-length hair that cooperates nicely. However, if I had short hair, I think I would go with the pile-on-a-few-hairnets method. But for me, my motto is Always Wear Hunter Hair!
    Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMutt View Post
    Personally, I don't care for hunter hair. I guess it looks ok, but it's uncomfortable to me to have my ears pinned under my hair and I think I look like a cafeteria worker from 1950.

Agreed. What is up with this trend, and when did it start? Nobody has ever been able to tell me but I didn't see it till I moved to the US 15 years ago after many years of hunter showing and field hunters in the UK.

I used to have chin length hair (a-line bob) so what I do is get one of those thick, cloth stretchy head bands, put on head over tops of ears, tuck wisps in and put helmet on. The stretchy band keeps all the little wisps in, and if you get a color that matches your hair (I have black hair, so its easy) no one can tell the difference.

As my hair has gotten a little longer (but still no long enough to do a pony tail) I do the same exact thing, but with a hairnet on top. Once my helmet is on, I pull down the sides of my hair to make the "patties". Again, no one can tell the difference and it still looks neat and tidy.