The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What is "hunter hair"?

Just another reason not to show. My hair is now to my waist. Except for a very long braid, two very long braids or corn rows there is no place else to put it. I cannot stand the feel of a bun on my neck!

Y'all must post pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by thatmoody View Post
    I have a problem with my hair now. I went from long (below the shoulders) to a shorter but not THAT short cut (just a little longer than chin length). While I love the new cut when I'm NOT on a horse, I'm having some helmet issues. For everyday riding I'm just kind of slapping the helmet on and tucking the hair back, but what should I do for shows? I just realized that I've painted myself into some sort of in-between place where my hair is going to be a problem - too short to put up, too long to just all fit under the helmet neatly...
    I've had short hair like that at various times. Use a thick hair net and put it over your head and gather it up in a pony tail. If your hair isn't long enough to make it into a pony tail, then just secure the end of the hair net like it does. You can use a show bow or something similar to make it look like you have a bun, then stuff it w/ panty hose to fill it out.

I have long hair (mid back) but when straightened it is very easy to manage. Personally I put it in a tight low bun, put a hairnet over my whole head, and then pull the hairnet around the bun and secure with another hair band. It looks neat and is completely out of the way.

I did hunter hair religiously for every ride over the past four year but I decided I prefer a small neat bun a few months ago. I think it looks much better in pictures and is SO much quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonoma City View Post
    I've had short hair like that at various times. Use a thick hair net and put it over your head and gather it up in a pony tail. If your hair isn't long enough to make it into a pony tail, then just secure the end of the hair net like it does. You can use a show bow or something similar to make it look like you have a bun, then stuff it w/ panty hose to fill it out.
    Thanks - I had figured that I was probably going to be wrestling with a hair net (or my DD was - she is always stuck doing my hair as I'm all thumbs with it). I just couldn't quite picture how that all worked as I had it down to a science with my long hair - french braid, then stuff the braid into a ponytail holder...

Quote Originally Posted by baroqueNheart View Post
    I use this http://www.victorycanter.com/RWR-No-...s-p-22827.html

It takes seconds to put it on and it is out of the way and does a good job of preventing helmet hair.
    Gosh, I have to say, I don't think that looks good at all - unless you have pics you cah show of someone using it so it looks better. And what's with the rider in the picture putting the chin strap of the harness behind her head? Strange helmet, which sticks out in the back. An odd pic, and unattractive.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Quote Originally Posted by seeuatx View Post
    When I was in Pony Club, where "hunter hair" was Verbotten but hair also had to be neat and tidy, I developed a simple bun. Step A: Put hair net over all of hair. Step B. Put all of hair in hairnet into a ponytail. Step C. Flip Ponytail under itself and add another hair tie. Tada! It's a Bun
    This is the quickest way I always did it. I haven't shown lately as an adult, but what I would do was put a hairnet on, pull the hair back behind my ears, put the helmet on, then create the "pony tail" and double it up with a tie or bow clip.

I haven't shown as an adult, and thought I would try to create one with a nice round bun, having long hair, so can't say what I will do yet.

I have a problem with my hair now. I went from long (below the shoulders) to a shorter but not THAT short cut (just a little longer than chin length). While I love the new cut when I'm NOT on a horse, I'm having some helmet issues. For everyday riding I'm just kind of slapping the helmet on and tucking the hair back, but what should I do for shows? I just realized that I've painted myself into some sort of in-between place where my hair is going to be a problem - too short to put up, too long to just all fit under the helmet neatly...

This isn't too hard to handle.

This can work for even shorter hair, or those with short layers in the front, including bangs.

You need bobby pins or those flat slide-in clips to clip back your bangs, side pieces, front hair down to behind your ears. then, with two large bobby pins, clip it back once more at the nape of your neck toward the back of your head on either side one more time. Hairnet over all and tuck this behind your ears too, unless you want to display a hairnet over your ears, which I think looks like Ruth Buzzi from Laugh-in, and not a good thing a 'tall. There are different size hair nets; experiment with each. A large might ensure that you will have enough net to place all the way over the top of your head, which will keep it on, rather than slip back.

Hair clip or scrunchie over the hairnet where there would be a pony tail, if it was long enough, to bring the last of it together.

The length of it might not be enough to make a loop or bun, but it will sit at the bottom of the net, and you should curl under and it will look very very tidy.

Recap: Just clip down the front of your hair, then sides then back sides as necessary, depending on the length. Put on the net, and let the ends curl under, then gather together with a bow, clip or scrunchie.

Remember knobbies? heh heh. You don't need one of those.

Hunter hair

And I think that no-knot hair net is pretty interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherRound View Post
    Gosh, I have to say, I don't think that looks good at all - unless you have pics you cah show of someone using it so it looks better. And what's with the rider in the picture putting the chin strap of the harness behind her head? Strange helmet, which sticks out in the back. An odd pic, and unattractive.
    What are you talking about? Helmet sticking out, chin strap in back? Not sure which pic you're seeing?
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Pattnic - I think the picture is creating an optical illusion re harness strap. Another Round - the strap comes from behind the helmet and from over the ear and fastens under the chin.

That said - I have shoulder length hair with a variety of layers and I loathe anything on my neck when riding - so I twist my hair up (like a french twist) and clip it to the very top of my head with a flat barrette. Then I put a hairnet over whole thing (keeps those little curly stragglers from running amok) - put helmet on and Voila! Neat, professional look with nothing irritating the back of my neck (except the helmet strap).
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

My hair is about mid back. I part it as if to make two pig tails then take half my hair and wrap it around the other side of my head- secure every few inches with oversized hair clips (it goes a tad bit past the part. Do the same with the other side. Put on hat. Ride. I am in the minority but I just hate hair nets! I also think I would not like to do the bun thang.

My hair is pretty long, goes to my lower back/waist.

My helmet fits my head and I'm not excited about having a helmet that fits head plus hair. Plus, I have a big head and having a helmet big enough for head and hear would make my head look huuuuuuuuge!

I typically put my hair in a low ponytail at the nape of my neck, secured tightly with an elastic ponytail holder. I put bobby pins on the sides. I then braid the ponytail and put another elastic holder at the bottom. I then wrap this braided tail around the base and tuck the end of the tail (sort of like a knot-twice) into the ponytail holder at the base. I then put one of those netted ponytail holders through my hair *above* the nape of the neck ponytail holder and I put the knotted braid into the netted holder - so I don't have to worry about the "tidy end" and the twice-knotted hair isn't so evident. I sometimes put bobby pins through the net and into the knot to keep it all in place.

I HATE the feel of a bouncing bun on my head when sitting the trot so I do my hair to minimize it. Ha! I might feel a bouncing bun in the warmup but I never seem to remember it when I'm in the arena!

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherRound View Post
    This isn't too hard to handle.

This can work for even shorter hair, or those with short layers in the front, including bangs.

You need bobby pins or those flat slide-in clips to clip back your bangs, side pieces, front hair down to behind your ears. then, with two large bobby pins, clip it back once more at the nape of your neck toward the back of your head on either side one more time. Hairnet over all and tuck this behind your ears too, unless you want to display a hairnet over your ears, which I think looks like Ruth Buzzi from Laugh-in, and not a good thing a 'tall. There are different size hair nets; experiment with each. A large might ensure that you will have enough net to place all the way over the top of your head, which will keep it on, rather than slip back.

Hair clip or scrunchie over the hairnet where there would be a pony tail, if it was long enough, to bring the last of it together.

The length of it might not be enough to make a loop or bun, but it will sit at the bottom of the net, and you should curl under and it will look very very tidy.

Recap: Just clip down the front of your hair, then sides then back sides as necessary, depending on the length. Put on the net, and let the ends curl under, then gather together with a bow, clip or scrunchie.

Remember knobbies? heh heh. You don't need one of those.
    AR, I tried this last night, sans the net, and it worked just fine. I had another inch taken off just for working with the helmet (and to clean up some layers I wasn't happy with and apparently that was more of a problem than the length. Now that the layers are more even (last time I EVER go to a cost-cutting hair place instead of my regular person to save $$$), I'm happier with it overall. I just clipped the sides, slapped the helmet on, and you couldn't even really see the back under the helmet. With a net that will be fine because it will contain all the little loose ends that showed up as a fringe last night. For regular riding it's easy-peasy - I can just slap the helmet on and tuck the sides up into it but I wanted to see if I got a headache from the pins

Pull up the sides with barettes, then use a hairnet over all of it to keep the back tidy as well.