The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Helmet-What to do with your hair?

I just got a new helmet, and I used to wear a top hat, but because of the new rule I have to wear a helmet. What are some things you do with your hair when wearing a helmet?
    I used to have it in a bun under my top hat, but that doesn't fit with the helmet.

lower the bun
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

I do a very low bun and it looks good.

I use this http://www.victorycanter.com/RWR-No-...s-p-22827.html

It takes seconds to put it on and it is out of the way and does a good job of preventing helmet hair.

Helmet hair? Avoid helmet hair? Heck, I just accept that at the end of the show day, I have helmet hair. I head home, take care of horsie then go home and wash my hair. I'm certainly not in any shape to do something for which I would need my hair to look nice! LOL

Anyway, I have long hair, so low pony tail, braid it, turn it under, secure all with hairnet, and finish with a nice silver clip or a black aatin scrunchie.

Go look up various threads on "hunter hair."

If your helmet fits properly, I would imagine that it would be difficult to wear a bun.

When I was in Pony Club, where "hunter hair" was Verbotten but hair also had to be neat and tidy, I developed a simple bun. Step A: Put hair net over all of hair. Step B. Put all of hair in hairnet into a ponytail. Step C. Flip Ponytail under itself and add another hair tie. Tada! It's a Bun

I use to do the hunter thing. Now I put my hair in a low bun and I use something similar to this:
    http://www.shoclothes.com/images/acc...runchie-lg.jpg

yes i have one of those hair bun holders with the crystals on them. It just is just very uncomfortable because my bun would be in my lower neck!
    I might try the RWR No Knot Hair Nets that baroqueNheart posted

HA! I have dreadlocks down to the small of my back so getting that stuff tidy is a challenge! The best I've done is a synthetic black snood over two giant braids twisted together at my nape. It barely fits my helmet now, but it's tidy. I know it would fit a custom Charles Owen but I just don't see spending $300 on a helmet! Here's me with the hair up http://www.flickr.com/photos/5296733...n/photostream/

It isn't perfect, but it's the only way to get tidy. Otherwise I just put my hair into two giant plaits and leave them long. That's okay for lessons, but I'm sure otherwise it would not be acceptable.

Paula

All the dressagey people I've ever seen use something similar to the one dressappy posted, but the one she posted is for dancers. The horsey ones sit where they need to under the helmet. Your local tack shop should have them.
    "Many are riders; many are craftsmen; but few are artists on horseback."
    ~George Morris

I find the low bun irritating when it sits below the harness. Instead, I braid my hair into one long braid, then double it under and tuck the ends up underneath my hair. I add a black velvet scrunchy over the regular hair elastic to complete the look. Looks elegant, stays out of the way and doesn't interfere with the harness.
    Savannah Custom Scrapbook Design. For horses...and people, too!
    www.savannahscrapbooks.com
    www.thislifeblog.com

I've always worn a helmet, and either do hunter hair all under a hairnet, or I put it in a low bun with one of those 'show bows' with the velvet barrette and hairnet attached. Just depends how lone my hair is and how much time I have.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

I do the hunter hair most of the time.

SOMETIMES I do a low bun. But I just hate the feel of that clump of hair on my neck.

I do a low bun with hairnet and elastic. I never put the hair up under the helmet, because I believe that impairs the fit and therefore the safety of the helmet.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I know i also dont like the low bun because it really bothers me.
    ( I dont care about helmet hair! :P)
    I have just gotten a new helmet it is the IRH Elite Xtreme Riding Helmet.
    but I may just have to deal with that bun in a hair scrunchie like baroqueNheart posted ( i have one of those in black) because it does look good.

I do have a hairnet somewhere, but I am gonna have to go and look for it.

You might also look through this thread: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ht=hunter+hair
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I meant a scrunchie like dressappy posted, not baroqueNheart :P (sorry for the confusion)

I have a problem with my hair now. I went from long (below the shoulders) to a shorter but not THAT short cut (just a little longer than chin length). While I love the new cut when I'm NOT on a horse, I'm having some helmet issues. For everyday riding I'm just kind of slapping the helmet on and tucking the hair back, but what should I do for shows? I just realized that I've painted myself into some sort of in-between place where my hair is going to be a problem - too short to put up, too long to just all fit under the helmet neatly...

I've always done hunter hair. My hair actually doesn't look *that* bad after riding!
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations