The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Stall Weaving and needs to gain weight!

So I just bought an OTTB (off craigslist) and I've noticed two things right off the bat. He weaves in his stall, and he needs to gain a lot of weight. The issue with the weight is that he just doesn't seem interested in his food. Nibbles a little on his alfalfa and then goes back to weaving, and then eats a little of his equine senior, back to weaving. This is after a long turnout that he spent getting his bucks out. I'm at a boarding stable, so altering the stall/bigger turnout (I'm in phx AZ) aren't an option, I gotta work with what I have. I'm guessing he's got stomach ulcers.
    Any other suggestions to get him eating? He is wormed and his teeth were just done.

I owned one of these challenging critters once myself:-) Try starting with some tubes of Ulcer Guard and see if that starts to help.

I had decent results with ranitidine, just the OTC Walmart kind. It didn't stop the weaving, but it slowed down.
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Get him checked/treated for ulcers. I'll betcha $1 that will help.

As far as the stall weaving: this is a self-reinforcing stress behavior. In theory, if you could figure out what's stressing him and change that, he should do it less. If he doesn't exhibit stress behaviors when he's turned out, I'd say leave him turned out. Can you talk to the BO and plead for more turn-out since he's a special case?

When he is stalled, is he away from his buddies? Can he see the other horses easily? Some horses get really upset when locked away from their herd.... maybe if you can change which stal he uses or open an outside door it could help?

A friend who works at the track, for weavers-she puts cones in their stall, they walk around them, and usually quit weaving-she also will hang toys for them, give them something to do
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

Try tieing the poor thing up.
    Its OC behavior and he can't help it...some like the security of being tied..hay water w/in reach, its not mean and its sort of like a relief for some.
    Also make sure he can get his head out over a door or window sometimes its a bit of clausterphobia and letting him occupy his mind helps..aolt.
    A goat or chicken in stall sometimes does wonders for weavers.
    Cones are for stall walkers .

Unfortunately he is thin/may have ulcers because he weaves!! It is one of the few vices with NO cure other than having full/lots of turn-out time and even then some will stand at the gate and weave. Sometimes a small "peep hole" into an adjacent (occupied) stall will help. This is the worst case senario in trying to "save" a skinny TB!!! Once a weaver/always a weaver (in times of stress - even after they seem to be cured!) Good Luck!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

One more thing I forgot in my other post...they realized once the farrier looked at her hooves very closely (at their request) the hooves were amess, from the stupid track (new one at Turfway with carpet fibers), the fibers were actually imbedded in her hooves...and causingpain. Look at that, make sure there's no abcesses, etc. making her want to get off her hooves
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

Can his stall door be left open with a stall guard up most of the day? I find this often helps because it lets horses "interact" more with whats going on in the barn. Though usually this can only be done in a small private kind of barn.

Daily tube of Ulcergard/Gastrogard (same thing but can the former without RX) every day for seven/eight days and see if he's better. Pretty sure he will be . . .

You might be able to use SmartGut, aloe, papaya, alfalfa, etc. (lots of threads on ulcers) after a short course of Ulcergard. But I would advocate biting the bullet for diagnostic purposes and using the 'real thing' at first.

he is in a pipe corral mare motel, so lots of visibility and horses next to him. he actually seemed a little bit better yesterday so im hopeful!

weaving grill on top of the door, plus hang up veggies like sweeds drill a hole through it and hang it up, hide chopped up veggies inand around his stable

and also have more regular cisit with a farrier to balnce and re shoe the horse as weaving will bring more wear on the front feet, weaving is a vice and one hard to get rid off, having the horse out as much as possible will help as it associated with boredum or is a copied habit, as he underweight it could also be the horse is very hungry as had either fought ofr his food in past or been left out of the food if put in a field situation also it can be anxeity as the place is all new to him so its important that he has a rountine of work and handled ie good management so the horse knows his boundaries and whats to be expected tey to keep feeding times the same

Is he willing to eat hay after he's stepped on it while weaving? If not, a hay net may help reduce waste and encourage him to eat more.

My mare has a hay net in front of her at all times while in her stall. She's eating more, wasting less.