The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Antique hand water pump question

I have an old water pump in my garden, and from all appearances is a real live working pump . The make on it is BT, and I think the number 10. It's fairly tall as well.
    Now, I grew up familiar with a shorter hand pump that we had to prime by pouring water in the top and holding my hand over the spout in order to get pressure and make it draw; it had leathers on the inside that needed changing occasionally.
    Is anybody familiar with this taller kind of pump and how I can get it running again? When I tried to prime it it sounded like it was making a sincere effort to draw water but that air was still getting through so I couldn't prime it.
    My DSO thinks there might be valves or a flapper down at water level. We're on town water, so being able to use pump water for my flower beds and my garden would be awesome!
    Thanks!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

It will need new leathers as well - hand pumps all have the same 'guts' with variances in size. Make sure the pipe is long enough, and if it is, change leathers, prime, and see what happens. I remember helping change leathers on the well pump, a large hand style pump that ran on a stationary engine that was horrible to start.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    It will need new leathers as well - hand pumps all have the same 'guts' with variances in size. Make sure the pipe is long enough, and if it is, change leathers, prime, and see what happens. I remember helping change leathers on the well pump, a large hand style pump that ran on a stationary engine that was horrible to start.
    Thanks, SK! We used to get them at Home Hardware, I think, but not sure where to get them now. When we raised it we stopped when we had about 6' of pipe with more to go - hence our hope it is good!

I think HH still carries them. So does Peavey Mart (if you are in the west) and I think Canadian Tire. I got my last ones at HH if i recall, but couldnt get the danged pump back together, because one of the lift rods was rusted througn and too much work to fix; I dont know WHY it was put into a corner where you have to curl up and work in such an awkward position, but it was.

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    I think HH still carries them. So does Peavey Mart (if you are in the west) and I think Canadian Tire. I got my last ones at HH if i recall, but couldnt get the danged pump back together, because one of the lift rods was rusted througn and too much work to fix; I dont know WHY it was put into a corner where you have to curl up and work in such an awkward position, but it was.
    Does this help you, SK? http://www.plumbingsupply.com/handpump.html

I can get another pump at assorted hardware stores here but I really have no desire to lie on concrete with my head stuffed into a dark corner. Need to get the offending cistern cleaned and then want to punch a hole and have close to 6000 gallons on the pressure system than 4500. Greedy me!!!LOL