The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default iPhone vs Android

I get to upgrade to a new phone on Monday I went into the AT&T store two days ago and played with the iPhone 4 and the HTC Inspire and liked them both. What is everyone else using and preferring these days? I am having trouble deciding between the two and the sales guy wasn't a lot of help, the only thing that stands out is the price - the iPhone 3GS is $50, the iPhone 4 is $200 and the HTC/android is $99. All three are in my price range although the more affordable options are a plus obviously. I use my phones for mostly texting, internet browsing and some video watching/listening to music but I wouldn't be putting a lot of music on the actual device, I have an iPod that has all my music on that I'm not getting rid of. Or is anyone using a different smartphone than what I mentioned?

And does anyone have an HTC/Droid that has had problems with freezing and needing to restart? My friend has a droid incredible that she says needs to be rebooted often because it freezes and also she complains about the battery running out and needing to be recharged multiple times throughout the day.
    "to live is the rarest thing in the world, most people merely exist."

I just got an iPhone 4 and I love it. My previous phone was a BlackBerry, so I can't speak to how it compares to a 'Droid though. I think the iPhone people seem to be pretty happy with their iPhones and the 'Droid phone people seem to be happy with their 'Droids, so I would imagine you probably can't go too wrong whichever way you decide to go.

ETA: And, btw, I realize this post doesn't help much with your decision!
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Default Verizon Droid Incredible is da bomb!!

We just got these last month and love them!! The husband is a long haul trucker, and he relies on it for checking the weather where he is going, and even has a scanner app to listen to the police / fire calls where he is.
    I also have one and love how crystal clear the calls are. We have not had 1 problem with them.
    The apps are unlimited for them.

I just upgraded to the htc Thunderbolt. I really like the phone and haven't noticed the battery drain problem as I do keep in on the charger in the car, especially when I'm using the navigation app. I'm a Verizon customer and have access to their 4G network so I think its pretty awesome.

Barbara
    Arabian Clique

I do like my Incredible, but the battery life BLOWS. Lasts a maximum of 10 hours or so... and if I'm listening to music, using the GPS, looking stuff up online, or playing with any app for any length of time... I'm lucky to get 6 hours out of it.

I really resent having to carry my charger with me everywhere I go.

That sole factor would lead me to get an iPhone if I needed a new phone.

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by cranky View Post
    I just got an iPhone 4 and I love it. My previous phone was a BlackBerry, so I can't speak to how it compares to a 'Droid though. I think the iPhone people seem to be pretty happy with their iPhones and the 'Droid phone people seem to be happy with their 'Droids, so I would imagine you probably can't go too wrong whichever way you decide to go.

ETA: And, btw, I realize this post doesn't help much with your decision!
    I'm upgrading from a BlackBerry too and I'm pretty convinced that anything is going to be better than my BB. I'm almost tempted to go the iPhone route just because I played with my mom's iPad yesterday and got addicted to a game they don't offer on the droid
    "to live is the rarest thing in the world, most people merely exist."

Quote Originally Posted by ponies123 View Post
    I'm upgrading from a BlackBerry too and I'm pretty convinced that anything is going to be better than my BB. I'm almost tempted to go the iPhone route just because I played with my mom's iPad yesterday and got addicted to a game they don't offer on the droid
    I think in a lot of ways it's an iPad in miniature. Anyway, whatever you decide, I hope you like your new phone!
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

I dumped my Android phone for an iPhone the day they became available on Verizon. Love the iPhone!
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

The one factor with the iphone is the battery is soldered in, and must be changed by the company and not at regional phone stores. The battery in the droid is changeable. A friend (who is a computer professional, and one the iphone user that uses it constantly) says the his iphone needs to be recharged several times a day because he uses it so much (he actually has an app he wrote on the apple store). Batteries on all phones suck after a while, and the Verizon sales guy I know said they are meant to last for 1 year max, and the usual is 6 months. I know someone who buys her batteries from overstock.com and other independents and she claims they hold up better than buying from the phone carriers.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Android all the way. I just got the Thunderbolt, and I don't have access to 4G yet, but it is VERY fast. As far as the battery, ANY smartphone with a large, vivid display is going to run the battery down faster than a dumbphone, or a smaller screen/lower resolution. So, don't let that be a determiner. Just have chargers wherever you can.

iPhone is more intuitive and an easy learn. BUT, your phone will be the same as the next guy's phone as there is little to no customization available for the iPhone. Steve Jobs has decreed that he knows what is best for YOU on your phone. The Android phones are VERY customizeable, from live wallpapers, to a variety of browsers, to widgets, to screen sizes...the list goes on. So, if you want an easy learning curve that relies completely on iTunes for synching, but will interact seamlessly with an iPad or iPod, go with Apple. If you want to really personalize your phone, but it may take awhile to learn all the things the phone can do, go Android.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

I don't think it would make too much of a difference for you, unless customizing your phone (can't change notification tones, but not sure about wallpaper-not sure if you can change it on 3gs, you can on the 4) is a big plus. It is for me, and for that, I love my htc thunderbolt. I love having widgets available instead of going all the way into the app page. Of course droid does have shorter battery life, but there are ways to improve it. My phone display is huge, which is awesome for reading, browsing, typing. It drains most of my battery, but it's a great quality and I can have it at 12% brightness in most daylight conditions. Also my battery lasts longer now than in first week's usage. I am just now okay with having a charger nearby from more on.
    If you know someone who is skilled with technology, the droid is awesome. It took me a lill while to get used to it, still am. As far as I know iphones are easier to navigate from the start. But. I love the thunderbolt. the apps -like different keyboards, for example- are great. I'm using the swype keyboard right now, I get some mistakes but it's so much easier just swiping my finger across the screen. I also get bored with wallpapers and love the live wallpapers.
    Of your choices the inspire is fairly comparable to the thunderbolt. iphone is good but 200 bucks us a lot for a phone that came out a year ago. The old incredible is going to be replaced soon with the new model. The atrix -droid- is awesome specs-wise, but I think there's some weird data plan they're making you go with for it. My recommendation us the inspire, but there is a learning curve.
    If you had your doubts, ha, yes I DO have a boyfriend who is very into phones.. So if you do have some q's after getting a droid, feel free to PM me and I'll try to help!

Haha, laurie posted right when I was typing

No flash on iphone and really, they are "starter" smart phones, easy to use and learn and just not quite as fast or advanced as Android.

I LOVE HTC phones! My Incredible is awesome. With the Thunderbolt and now Incredible 2 almost out, why on earth would someone want an outdated Apple product that they charge $20 an hour for tech support?
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

LOVE my Droid X! Much prefer it to the iphone.

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com
    Facebook page

Have an iphone 3G...my husband loves his. I'm so so. We need to update the software which we supposedly can do on our computer. DH is savy enough to design our website but we can't figure out how to synch. Best Buy where we got our phones because they were the only place to offer insurance can do it for us but 15-20% chance of losing our data.

Have thought about upgrading to the 3GS to have the video feature but we presently have unlimited data plan and need to check that out.

The battery life is very short especially when using the broadband services. It goes on the charger every night and several times during the day. We always did carry a charger for both phone and earpiece in all cars anyway.

Been meaning to pick up "iPHones for Dummies" because neither one of us can
    find much info on itunes that seems comprehensible to us old folks.

The sensitive touch of the iphone screen tends to be a pain--sometimes you make calls inadvertantly. May look at the Android....can you talk and use an app at the same time?

This old gray mare just got my first smartphone ever, the HTC Thunderbolt. For me, a hugh learning curve. But the iphone would have been a big learning curve too. I probably won't use most of the features. But I am mastering it, I found all the droid websites for support, i know more than the stupid Verizon guy who was supposed to help me with my battery. I am liking it. What I really like, is that I kept my Verizon monthly fee, plus 30 a month more for unlimited data plan, that came with the Thunderbolt.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

I got my first smart phone 2 months ago. I picked up the Droid Incredible. I read all the reviews saying the battery sucked and it needed to be charged all the time. So I did some digging, and if you remove unused apps. (that come on the phone) change the backlight setting, turn off the blue tooth when not in use and turn off the Wi-fi when not in use, you save so much battery juice. I can get 5 days !! thats right F I V E days.

I also drained the battery (till it turned its self off drained) several times the first month. It helps prime the battery.