The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default good places to sell a breeding?

I won a breeding to Tantris... Im in Canada and after a few weeks of trying to look into importing the semen... im finding Canada has made it very hard and just not worth it. He is lovely, but by the time I pay for it all, I may as well have just paid for a local stallion without the headach of the shipping and stuff.

I want to know if there are any good places online where I could advertise it for sale on the states?
    "My ideal horse is the horse that I fall in love with again every morning when I see his face hanging over the stable door, looking for breakfast. " - Jim Wofford

Have you tried asking for frozen semen? That saves a lot of headaches.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Yes, and my vet didn't seem very interested in using frozen. She suggested I ship my horse to an AI facility.

I am just an independant individual and I am doing this for my personal use. Mayeb someone who operates a facility would find it easier and more cost effective.

Just getting frozen semen into Canada is going to end up being almost $1000K for me and that isnt even the cost of sending her to a facility to be bred.
    "My ideal horse is the horse that I fall in love with again every morning when I see his face hanging over the stable door, looking for breakfast. " - Jim Wofford

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_007 View Post

Just getting frozen semen into Canada is going to end up being almost $1000K for me and that isnt even the cost of sending her to a facility to be bred.
    How can that be? do you mean the cost of shipping it over here? That sounds unlike I have ever heard of, can you elaborate please?
    Healthy Chocolate lets me live the lifestyle I want in order to enjoy the horses I love.

http://www.xocaichocolatehealth.com
    http://www.matchmakerequine.com

Quote Originally Posted by imajacres View Post
    How can that be? do you mean the cost of shipping it over here? That sounds unlike I have ever heard of, can you elaborate please?
    I agree. I was going to PM you on that. The most I have seen as extra fees for CEM stuff was $250 on top of the regular charges (collection + shipping, which do not change).

In my case, it meant each collection was adding up to $400. Luckily, the stallion has good frozen semen in Canada already and my mare took on first try. I love frozen.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca

Can you find a new vet to go to your farm? My mare never left her stall when inseminated.

Tantris is a nice stallion and if you like him and think it would be a good match it would be ashame not to use it.

Can you sell a breeding you won? What does the contract say?

Well I paid for it, and I don't want to ask the OBHA for the money back...

EM- I am talking about it being around $1000 for the shipping plus all the paperwork costs.... I have to buy a permit, and then I have to pay the agency who stores the stallions semen to do paperwork, plus I was told I still had to pay a collection fee for frozen which is $250 itself. And she offered to sell me another straw for $75 just in case... so it all ads up pretty quickly....

On top of that I was told the brokerage fees will be at least $75 and that isn't even with the shipping added and the taxes i'd have to pay to bring it to canada.

All of what I've listed comes to around $800+ without the actual shipping cost... im not sure why it is ending up costing me so much after reading you bring it in for around 400?

And no, we don't have alot of vets around here... she said she would come and do it, but she was strongly suggesting looking into whatever the AI facility was because she said that you have to be ultrasounding them every 4 hours or something when your using frozen? But the facility is like 2 hours away.

And btw, in regards to AI, I have no idea what im doing... Ive only ever bred through live cover. So having a bunch of different opinions on it doesn't help.

Where are you located out of curiosity? That might help with some suggestions as well ...

The e-warmbloods forum has a section for selling semen on there - that might be a good place to start

http://ewarmbloods.net/

Thanks! I am located in Eastern Ont.

The mount albert AI facility is what was suggested to me if I wanted to go thr frozen route.

Oh. you won it at an auction. Different situation.

If your vet isn't enthused,,, I'd pass on her. It is a 'simple' procedure but the vet should want to do it IMO. I wouldn't ask someone to do it who didn't want to. Simple procedure but requires attention to detail, timing, and vet commitment.

2 hours.... that isn't 'that' far is it?

If you are using fresh semen then you won't have to pay storage charges to the facility that is storing the semen because it will be the stallion who is storing the semen The import permits are not expensive; $35 for single entry or $60 for multiple entry. The broker fees shouldn't be more than $40-$50. The shipping (Fedex) should be under $200. Usually the first collection is included in the stud fee, so if I were you I'd check on that. So a rough tally of the costs above are only around $310 worst case.

No, I was told by the owner that I was to send her the $250 collectiong fee... not sure if it is because I wont it at the auction rather then purchasing a breeding from her?

And i've had a couple people tell me not to go the fresh route because it could get held up at customs?

I wish it were only going to be around $300 because then I wouldn't be as concerned about it.

With frozen I was told that I had to pay the company/vet who stores the semen that I had to pay for paperwork to be done on her side, I cant remember the exact cost, but it was around $140.

I feel like there has been so much added on top of everything?

I'm wondering if McKee-Pownall Vet Service in Millbrook would be a lot closer for you. They do repro work there.

It is just odd. Where are you in Eastern Ontario? You can PM me, perhaps I can suggest a few places to call/ask.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca

Or - contact Tara Hills in Port Perry area if they are close to you. They are a very large, well respected SB facility and their repro vets are tops and so is their facility

The semen should NOT get held at customs if all of your ducks are in a row, and the SO has completed all of the necessary steps at their end. If the paperwork is incomplete or missing - yes - the shipment will get held

I'm a little unclear about the $250 collection fee due the owner on a shipment of frozen. Though the offer of a second breeding dose for $75 was a nice thing. THat's pretty much her cost.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

I paid right at $800 to get fresh from California to BC. I would never do it again.

I paid right at $800 to get fresh from California to BC. I would never do it again.
    REALLY??? How did those costs break down? Do you know?