The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation tailored sportsman

hi,
    i recently bought a pair of used 2 way tailored sportsman breeches, and after the first show, i took them to the dry cleaners but i noticed the knee patches were dried out fromt he chemicals. so i was wondering what is the best way to wash them in the machine washer?

thanks in advance

I'm always amazed when I hear of people dry-cleaning their breeches. I've always just tossed mine in the wash,but I turn them inside out first, wash them in cold or cool water and line dry them. If the seams look a little tight or bunched up when they come out of the washer, gently pull them into shape before you hang them up. If you don't like the slightly stiff feeling that clothes have when they're line dried I suppose you could put them into your dryer for a few minutes with no heat...I've never tried, at my age, I can't take a chance that they'll shrink, I haven't any extra room
    Last edited by Hinderella; Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:21 AM. Reason: spelling

oh okay, thanks! does it matter what detergent you use?

I err on the safe side and use leather therapy (and the conditioner for the patches, esp if dried) and they come out great.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

i've looked for that stuff before, but i cant seem to find it, do you happen to know where its sold?

Quote Originally Posted by Hinderella View Post
    I'm always amazed when I hear of people dry-cleaning their breeches. I've always just tossed mine in the wash,but I turn them inside out first, wash them in cold or cool water and line dry them. If the seams look a little tight or bunched up when they come out of the washer, gently pull them into shape before you hang them up. If you don't like the slightly stiff feeling that clothes have when they're line dried I suppose you could put them into your dryer for a few minutes with no heat...I've never tried, at my age, I can't take a chance that they'll shrink, I haven't any extra room
    I do the same thing and it has worked so far. For my schooling pairs I tend to not wash them after every ride (as long as they're not absolutely dirty) Usually every two or three rides I do just to preserve their color. Or if I need after one ride I will just do a rinse and not a full wash in the washing machine.
    Make sure you don't let them sit in the washing machine cause sometimes the die can leak if they stay in there for a while. Sometimes I dry mine on low for about 3 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinderella View Post
    I'm always amazed when I hear of people dry-cleaning their breeches. I've always just tossed mine in the wash,but I turn them inside out first, wash them in cold or cool water and line dry them.
    It hadn't even occurred to me to dry clean my breeches until about 5 years ago... they had always just gone in the wash this way. I have used a dab of leather conditioner on the knee patches if they come out funky after the wash, but 90% of the time they're fine.

I wash my kids TS's in the washer on cold and use Woolite then line dry. No problems.
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

okay, thanks so much guys! if you have any other tips about washing them, or anything, let me know! :-)

I have a few pair that are probably over 10 years old and have held up really well.

I wash them in the washing machine and "hang" dry them. Never had issues with any of my breeches knee patches.

I also use Dreft detergent on ALL my clothes and hang dry all my clothes too. I think Dreft smells amazing and seems to wash really good. I do use Downey fabric softener too.
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

I've always washed my breeches, inside out, in the washer. I don't use a special cycle or detergent, just throw them in with my other clothes and wash away! I always hang them up to dry though. Even my 6yr old breeches look new after each wash.

I wash mine occasionally, but they look much better when they get dry cleaned. I've only had trouble once with one dry cleaner and knee patches. Usually as long as you go to the same dry cleaners as the rest of the horsey people (ie the closest one to the show or the most popular one near you/ your barn) they're familiar with them.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I've always preferred to launder my good breeches at home... they just seem to stay nicer and last longer that way compared to dry cleaning. I have a steam washer at home and use that setting if they're really dirty; otherwise, I wash them in cold, on delicate, with woolite. I hang them to dry and then touch them up with an iron if necessary. Works great.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina