The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Feline Diabetes

Well my poor cat, Chip, has had a rough six months. In October he had a cancerous tumor and surgery to remove it. A few days ago he started limping, it did not resolve on its own, so we went to the vet today. That was diagnoised as a sprain or strain ontop of arthritis, so I was given pain medication to help resolve it. The vet noticed he was dehydrated as well, so he wanted to run bloodwork as well. Luckily the lab worked quickly and he called me tonight, and Chip is diabetic.

I will go back in Monday to talk to the vet and figure out his treatment, but in the mean time, I thought I would post here and see if anyone has any information that would be helpful.
    The Procrastinators Anonymous meeting has been postponed again.

Quote Originally Posted by Defying Logic View Post

I will go back in Monday to talk to the vet and figure out his treatment, but in the mean time, I thought I would post here and see if anyone has any information that would be helpful.
    My 17 year old cat has been diabetic for at least 5 years (probably longer) and for the past few years has been well maintained on 6 units of Lantus insulin twice daily.

I tried some of the pet insulins and nothing has worked as well as the Lantus. I don't even check his blood glucose, just shove a keto-diastick under his urine stream periodically and he's always right on the money.

First cat that had it didn't make after getting diagnosed with this and that until I took her 80 miles to our old vet. They couldn't stablize her blood sugar.

Second cat was on insulin for 3 years and the side effects of diabetes finally caught up with her and had to make the big, bad decision. She was 13 when we lost her....truly a heart cat. Some problems figuring out her dosage and come to find out someone at the vet clinic had misdosed her.

Oddly, both were tortoiseshell female fluffy cats.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Check out felinediabetes.com. There is a wealth of information on there. They also have a message board where you can post questions - very helpful people on there.

You may want to switch to a grain-free cat food.

Feline diabetes can be very manageable. Some cats can even go into remission after a course of insulin. My cat went into remission for a number of months, but is now back on a small amount of insulin.

Best of luck to you and your kitty!