The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 4th level test 1 question

So you need to do the walk pirouette on the long side at E and then S.

If you show the judge the perfect pirouette, the inside hindleg will march up and down in place and at the end of the pirouette you will be one horse widths away from the wall. If you walk straight forward on this line, and do the 2nd "perfect" pirouette you will now be 2 horses widths away from the wall - and that will look weird.

So whats the best way to ride this?

You finish your perfect pirouette and then walk back to the wall on a straight line. Do not leg yield back to the wall, stay on a line back to the wall.

Its a half pirouette, 3-4 strides to make a half circle, walk straight foward to the next letter and do the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by JRG View Post
    Its a half pirouette, 3-4 strides to make a half circle, walk straight foward to the next letter and do the other one.
    I don't think that would look good.

So you make your first pirouette at E -if you walk straight ahead, you will be at least one horse width off of the rail. You then make another pirouette at S - if you then walk straight forward you will now be at least 2 horse widths off of the rail. If you have a fat horse and your pirouettes are not exactly on place you'd be pretty close to the quarter line

Haha, it is only a HALF, like doing a 180 degree turn. When you finish you will be facing the opposite way of where you started but on the same plane. I am not good at stick art so be patient.

>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<
    ....H..........S...........E.....
    _____wall____

_________ >>>>>>>Canter
    _______wall_________

Well, this seemed like it would be helpful until it completely wasn't.

However, these guys apparently scored 70% on the 2011 version so maybe give this a look?
    The pirouette business starts at 3:20.

Quote Originally Posted by JRG View Post
    Haha, it is only a HALF, like doing a 180 degree turn. When you finish you will be facing the opposite way of where you started but on the same plane. I am not good at stick art so be patient.

>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<
    _____wall____

_________ >>>>>>>Canter
    _______wall_________
    You are doing 180 degree turn - but since you are pivoting around the inside hind......180 degrees latter the inside hind is now the out side hind and now at least one horse width away from the track - so you will NOT end up on the SAME plan but a parallel plane - at least one horse width away from the original plane
    Last edited by dudleyc; Apr. 23, 2011 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Well, this seemed like it would be helpful until it completely wasn't.

However, these guys apparently scored 70% on the 2011 version so maybe give this a look?
    The pirouette business starts at 3:20.
    Dang, I only watched the walk pirouette part and they got stuck on the 2nd one........

Quote Originally Posted by dudleyc View Post
    Dang, I only watched the walk pirouette part and they got stuck on the 2nd one........
    Goes to show you cannot make or kill a 70 with one movement

In a Janet Foy-Brown and steffan peters test riding clinic, they made a big deal about that people need to walk straight back to the track after a turn on the haunches or pirouette. Do not stay off the track and NEVER half pass back to the wall at a walk or canter.

Quote Originally Posted by flyracing View Post
    Goes to show you cannot make or kill a 70 with one movement

In a Janet Foy-Brown and steffan peters test riding clinic, they made a big deal about that people need to walk straight back to the track after a turn on the haunches or pirouette. Do not stay off the track and NEVER half pass back to the wall at a walk or canter.
    Thank-you ...exactly what cowgirl first posted!

(And.... Janet Foy-Brown gave me and this horse 9's on our walk pirouettes last year at 3rd level....just a quick brag)

I guess I don't understand the question.

Oh my gosh, I read this post when there was only one answer; came back to see what in the world people could find to say and I'm laughing out loud!

Love the artwork, though could not really make any sense out of it.
    Loved the comment about the fat horse possibly being even further off the track.

JRG - the easiest way to understand it is to stand w/ left foot on the edge of a carpet or some other straight line. Do your turn w/out moving the left foot off the line. Then walk straight forward and turn around your right foot. You will be well off your original track.

Last but not least, DudleyC: I hate you!(where are my smiley faces?) Walk pirouettes are the hardest darn thing I've tried to do w/ dressage, but I'm going to figure them out if it is the last, final thing I ever do on a horse.................and it probably will be.

OK, folks, have I entered some parallel universe where 360 degrees = 180 degrees? I swore I'd never use an emotican, but .

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    OK, folks, have I entered some parallel universe where 360 degrees = 180 degrees? I swore I'd never use an emotican, but .
    No parellel universe but 180 degrees (1st turn at E) plus 180 degrees (2nd turn at S) = 360

what the other said, when ou finish your pirouette walk back to the rail (no leg yeld, and no half pass), the judge would have to deduct some point if you did that.

I learned the hard way and then got the lecture from my trainer. That's what happened when you can't take enough lessons and you show

The horses are not exactly on the spot: 112.3 ...."...At the pirouette (half-pirouette) the forefeet and the outside hind foot move round the inside hind foot which forms the pivot and should return to the same spot, OR SLIGHTLY IN FRONT OF IT, each time it leaves the ground. ...." So, the 'problem is solved.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
    You finish your perfect pirouette and then walk back to the wall on a straight line. Do not leg yield back to the wall, stay on a line back to the wall.
    This.

I am from germany and yes, your horse should move his body around the inside hindleg, describing a little half circle, which means at the end you are one step aside from where you have been, so the last step of a walking pirouette is a step to the side. see my video of my 6 yo donnerhall mare at 0:45 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfYQXrWzqZo
    the pirouettes are not perfect but the most important thing is that the inside hindleg is doing every step.

But assuming even steps, yoda,the inside hind makes a small half circle , and the issue of it transforming into the new outside hind still exists - even if it is a bit further down the track than a true pivot point, it is now the outside hind, more or less a horse' width off the track...

Finishes at the track because it is so minimal, and horses are fairly narrow behind esp when flexing their joints.
    I.D.E.A. yoda