The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Badminton XC course

Any comments about what's up tomorrow from the course information on their website?

Most of the fences are terrifying, but Fence 11 would give me shell shock. That thing is dastardly. (And I'm only up to Fence 14.) Takes hours on dial up.

One thing I noticed that is very interesting, but not sure how traditional it would be for Badminton. There are no jumps IN the water. They jump into and out of the water, but no obstacles are located in the water.

I wonder if the safety findings that jumping in the water is a heightened danger had any effect on the course design.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Apr. 22, 2011 at 10:36 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Posting this on this thread because I know this topic is near and dear to you. Did you notice that 1/2 the field at Badminton is at least a stop (20 points) behind after the dressage. I don't see how this is sustainable in the long run.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I'll be doing a spreadsheet as soon as the event is over. The 20 point difference takes you down to 40th place or so, so there are lots of very good horses who can still move up.

I agree that the current situation isn't sustainable. Take a look at the sex balance in the results after dressage. Ollie Townend is the only male in the top ten, and then males appear at 13th and 14th.

I should think that the French and males in general would be pushing for getting rid of the dressage coefficient.

I can't see either Ruth Edge or Susanna Bordone ending up in the top ten after XC, and if they do it will be because of their extra bump from dressage.

Colombo has the opportunity for a REALLY good finish.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire