The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I may be crazy but...

...has anyone seen skin that looks like this before. I know that it looks like imprints from bedding, and that is what I thought as well at first.

Except for the last several weeks my horse is coming in out of the field with it. It's bilateral, only on the shoulders, and it doesn't go away or even diminish after several hours.

I took these pictures tonight about 3 hours after he came in from the field. The time included grooming, riding, cooling out, grooming, then feeding. The marks did not diminish at all in this time. It's become more apparent as he's finishing shedding out and they just aren't going away.

He isn't sore, lame, or otherwise in distress that I can tell. Doesn't seem to bother him one bit. It almost looks vascular when you see it in person.

Has anyone ever seen bedding imprints last all day? Am I just a crazy worry wart?

I do plan on taking more photos over several days to see if the pattern remains the same or if it changes from day to day.

https://picasaweb.google.com/mswilli...71459514217778

https://picasaweb.google.com/mswilli...71461677234546

https://picasaweb.google.com/mswilli...71458418439730

Grass prints.

Mine get it too, on certain places, typically shoulders and haunches, from laying down. It can stay for quite a while.

Aliens from outer space do that instead of braiding LOL....
    "Reason is, and ought to be, the slave of passions." David Hume

Quote Originally Posted by Zarafia View Post
    Aliens from outer space do that instead of braiding LOL....
    Well they're quite clever.

I'm really thinking I'm worried about nothing but it just seems so strange that they're there all the time. I didn't think imprints would stick around so long but if that's what it is that must mean he's happy and relaxed in his (relatively) new home.

At the place where he was boarded previously I don't think I ever saw him lying down. Even in his stall.

If the little lines are raised, it could be localized hives. If the lines are sunken/dents, probably grass prints.
    Click here before you buy.

I think it's probably just imprints of whatever he was laying on.
    I have had severe allergic reactions myself, major hives, and I can tell you that he wouldn't just be his happy self if he was having an outbreak. He would clearly be uncomfortable IMHO.
    "Reason is, and ought to be, the slave of passions." David Hume

i agree with the rest. It is imprints from whatever he is laying down on. During the thoroughbred sales, we don't let them lay down on sale day until after they have been through the ring. This keeps them from getting 'ugly' marks. Sometimes I feel bad for them.

A good reminder of how sensitive and "alive" a horse's coat and skin is.

Your horse's looks lovely, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    A good reminder of how sensitive and "alive" a horse's coat and skin is.

Your horse's looks lovely, BTW.
    Thank you.

It's quite possible to have localized hives and be otherwise comfortable, normal, and content.

But they still look like grass prints.
    Click here before you buy.

A damp body brush helps get rid of them.

Maybe the cool damp grass, combined with warm horse causes the imprint to last much longer because it creates a steam type effect (almost like ironing it into place)?????
    Cindy

ignore it- the aliens have left the planet (it is the imprint of your horse laying down)

Quote Originally Posted by mickeydoodle View Post
    ignore it- the aliens have left the planet (it is the imprint of your horse laying down)
    Oh no, I missed the ship again?

Default I don't think its grass prints

My horse get it too, all over. At first I thought it was prints from bedding, but then there were situations where he had them, but couldn't have been lying down.

After observing this all last summer, I think it is something more like hives. My horse has sensitive skin. I noticed it a lot after a shampooing.

Smile

Perhaps he needs a satin pillowcase? That is what my face looks like if I sleep face down at night
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

Default Probably not, but....

OK, so I know I've got the horse who'll get into anything and everything, and his situations are rather... er... "speshool". (Straight from the vet's mouth, too! LOL)

He apparently got into something in the pasture, and was acting sensitive to it when I touched it, but trained and worked normally otherwise. About a week later, it started cracking, and over the next 3 days it all sloughed off. Thankfully, got vet involved as soon as the cracking started, and we had to scrub it every 3 days with SuperPoo (from vet office) and cover once a day with Panalog. Skin cleared up within a few weeks, and hair came back normally- both in color and direction. You can't even tell it happened! (Thank God for good vets!)

We have no idea what caused it, but we are very carefull with fly sprays (actually spray the outside of the sheet and keep him sheeted) and shampoos, and no liniments for him. (We don't think these are the causes, but we're not ruling anything out, either!)

Again, just my experience. Hopefully, and most likely- nothing wrong with your boy, but just in case, here's my experience!
    Standardbred Lover- owner of Studs Hooligan, aka Strider, ex- pacer, retrained for eventing and endurance
    Strider-OTSTB-, Gus-OTTB-, and Rio-rescued QH!
    Founder of the High Maintenance Horses Clique