The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Red Maple

Does anyone know how long after cutting that red maple leaves have to dry !out before they are "safe"? I took down a red maple next to my pasture, and one of the branches fell into the pasture. I cleaned up all the leavings as much as I could--the whole thing was in a tangle of multiflora rose, so it was a mess. But I'm wondering how long I should wait to be sure that any little bit left behind is not a hazard. I'm resting that pasture anyway, but was hoping to bring it back on line pretty soon.

I was hoping to get it out before it leafed out this year. I actually cut it about two weeks ago when it just had a few seeds, but had to wait for the multiflora to start to wilt before I could get to the base of itto haul it out. In that time, it actually put out the beginnings of leaves, even after being cut!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

It is most deadly after it is thoroughly dry, according to my vets. It looks deadly. It has a blackish-red hue ... you can see it in the twigs and the leaves. I have piles of it in some areas that are over three years old and they still look dark and ominous . That pile of stuff will be getting hauled off or burned. No ponies allowed near it.

ETA: they do have to eat a fair amount of it though. A few leaves won;t do it.

I thought never.

To me, always bad.

One leaf eaten is one leaf too many for me.

Actually, the person I know with the dead horse said it only ate a few Red Maple leaves. Just a little branchlet fell into her paddock. Horse was bored, had plenty of grass, ate the wilting leaves off the little branch. Not 24 hours off the tree, killed him anyway.

I would say the leaves are never safe to eat, no matter how dried or old.

I've always heard they were most toxic when wilting.....

*Loosing their leaves in Autumn* does not carry the toxins. Both according to my vets AND watching an old horse eat them.

But the wilting ones are the deadly ones. No, I don't want to test it out on my own pony, but I also don;t want to cut down every Red Maple I have. Maybe that is a dumb idea .