The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I need interesting gelato/ice cream recipes!

I just bought a gelato maker and am on the look-out for interesting recipes. The machine came with a booklet of recipes but they're mostly the standards (there is a tomato/basil one), and I also have the book "Artisanal Gelato" that has some wackier recipes.

I'm looking for anything strange but delicious! Even flavor combinations if you don't have a recipe. I bought some cherimoya today and am thinking of a cherimoya/rosemary sorbet.

I desperately want to do something with soft goat cheese too.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Check the sunset magazine site www.sunset.com for an avacado ice cream they ran a couple years back
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Gin & Tonic Sorbet (sherbert, I think it's called here):

http://www.walnutgrovecookery.com/re...gin_sorbet.htm

If you just need something super-easy in a pinch, I love freezing a can of cream of coconut and two cans of coconut milk in a ice cream maker. If you want to spice it up a little, add some lime juice or key lime juice. Super-easy and makes a nice faux sorbet. Cream of coconut is supersweet so take it easy on that -- add a little at a time until you like what you taste. Also if you add lime just a little at a time, it is easy to overwhelm the delicate coconut flavor if you do too much.

I have now made, in quick succession:

Cherimoya/rosemary sorbet - yum, and feels like a gelato because of cherimoya's custardy texture.

Tomato/strawberry/rosemary sorbet - kind of missing the rosemary, but it's like a "grown-up" strawberry. You can tell there's something tempering its sweetness/fruitiness; not sure if you can tell it's tomato.

Ricotta/Boat Street Pickled Plum quasi-sorbet - with heavy cream added. Preserves the lovely ricotta mouthfeel, but even though I replaced half the simple syrup with cream the acid bite from the pickled plums went waaaay down. Lovely flavor still, I just wish there was more vinegar in it.

Come on guys, any wacky combos will be taken into consideration!

This thread is awesome and making me very jealous! I was looking for taro root frozen yogurt online and came across avocado ice cream on a site. Mr B thinks that would be so gross, but I would love to try it! Maybe a google search but that wouldn't be as much fun as coth's own user reviews! Hope more people can add to this, I'm curious!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Ooh fun topic. How about...

Strawberry Basil
    Mango (or mango pineapple, or mango coconut?)
    Honey lavender
    Chocolate Rosemary
    Blueberry/meyer lemon
    Key lime
    Cocoa nib
    Earl Grey
    Ricotta gelato with nutmeg, cardamom, almonds (for a play on the indian dessert kheer?)

I suspect quite a few liquors could be quite good in gelato/sorbet format - as well as a full bodied syrah or cab sauv. Oh, I once had a particularly outstanding maple bacon gelato. I love bacon but I know some are grossed out by the thought of it being in a dessert.

I'm pretty free spirited when I cook so these were just a few complimentary flavors that came to mind. Often savory herbs can complement fruits, chocolate, etc really well.

One more...mexican hot chocolate! Yum.

I bet Earl Grey (or Lady Gray) would be really nice. Maybe lemon and ginger?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Ice cream, sorbet, sherbet and ices are not the same thing. They vary in the amount of butterfat, air incorporated, and manufacturing method, for example. Keep this in mind when trying to trade recipes; there may be significant adaptions necessary and different methods from what you expected.

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong View Post
    Ice cream, sorbet, sherbet and ices are not the same thing. They vary in the amount of butterfat, air incorporated, and manufacturing method, for example. Keep this in mind when trying to trade recipes; there may be significant adaptions necessary and different methods from what you expected.
    I'm just looking for flavor combos. My book gives me the basic necessary fat:sugar:solids:water ratios, so I can work all that out.

If you are just looking for flavors, some of my favorite flavors in the past have been:

lavender/meyer lemon
    lemon rosemary
    cabernet sauvignon
    burnt marshmallow
    Earl grey and earl grey/lavender

There's a good-looking recipe for caramel fleur de lis in Southern Living this month from a respected chef, though that's sort of overdone these days.

Here's one that I make all the time:

Frozen peaches - thaw them and cook over the stove with a little bit of water, some sugar, some minced ginger (or candied ginger if you prefer that), a teaspoon or so of lemon peel, a splash of lemon juice and some cardamom. Blend the peaches with an immersion blender until semi-smooth (I like mine smooth). Adjust sweetness/spices if needed. Cool the peaches in the fridge or an ice bath. Mix with a tub of full fat greek yogurt and taste again. Put in the ice cream maker.

The cardamom and ginger are amazing with the peaches and the lemon adds brightness. I don't like super sweet ice creams or frozen yogurts, so I don't use very much sugar.

I also like this recipe very much - a great way to use up one or two brown bananas:
    http://buttersugarflour.com/2008/04/...ana-ice-cream/

Chocolate/chili pepper

Very excited to see all these possibilities, as we just got an ice cream maker for our wedding. Now to actually get it out of the box and do something with it!