The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fun Horsey & Non-Horsey Things To Do in Denver

Me and my hubby will be visiting Denver in June and I need some fun stuff to get me psyched. We are not so much into museum type things, but more like fun day trips and nature stuff. (also would love to visit some good quarter horse ranches, if there are such places open to visitors).

Down in Colorado Springs they have the NFR hall of fame and in Pueblo is the PBR. Also some where in Colorado springs is a park that rents horses for trail rides. There is also Garden of The gods, Cave of the WInds and the Springs has a pretty large mall too.

You have to rent a car and head to Estes Park and go through to Rocky Mountain National Park. Depending on when you are there Trail Ridge Road should be open all the way to the top. I prefer going up Old Falls Road, it is only one way, and dirt. Very lovely. You actually drive up past the timberline. Plenty of elk, maybe bighorn sheep, marmots etc. The Alpine Visitor Center is at 11,000 feet and you can walk an additional 1,000 feet to the summit.

There are lots of trail barns in Estes Park.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saddle View Post
    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

The mountains - get out into the mountains!!
    The "Unsinkable Molly Brown" house
    There are several wonderful museums
    Red Rock amphitheater and you will go pass the dinosaur tracks
    Coors brewery
    The Schools of Mines, near Coors
    The Buffalo Bill Museum, great view from up there
    Take time to visit the Air Force Academy

Enjoy!
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

good stuff. What else?

I agree with Red Rocks, Molly Brown House, an hour or so out of town is Georgetown-cute, historic mountain town, with great shops and restaurants. Next door, one exit west, in Silver Plume is one of the BEST bread bakeries ever. If you like tea, there is also a great little tea and antique shop. Silver Plume is only one street-so can't miss the shops. Georgetown Railroad is a great trip-over the towns and old mining camps, also in Silver Plume. Great for a day trip. You could do a day trip to Georgetown and Silver Plume, Red Rocks for a great view, then back to Denver for dinner at Strings or Mel's.
    Life is great when you can hug a horse.

I don't know if they're still there, or the visiting hours but Fort Collins is (or was) the home of a group of the Budweiser Clydesdales.

ANd in the Springs go up the Cog Railway to the top of Pike's Peak, and the best trip is the first of the morning since it stays at the summit house on top the longest (about 45 minutes compared to 30 minutes on later trips) plus you see more animals on the first trip usually. It is pricey but much better than driving up. It leaves from Manitou Springs, and you will have to get a reservation (now would not be too early to get the front of the train for the best view up). And it's about 20 degrees or more cooler on top than at the bottom so dress accordingly. Hopefully, you will have good weather and can see all the way to Kansas and the curve in the earth.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    You have to rent a car and head to Estes Park and go through to Rocky Mountain National Park. Depending on when you are there Trail Ridge Road should be open all the way to the top. I prefer going up Old Falls Road, it is only one way, and dirt. Very lovely. You actually drive up past the timberline. Plenty of elk, maybe bighorn sheep, marmots etc. The Alpine Visitor Center is at 11,000 feet and you can walk an additional 1,000 feet to the summit.

There are lots of trail barns in Estes Park.
    Absolutely!! Hands down the most stunning place I have ever been (and I've been a lot of places!)

Forgot to add: Definitely visit the New Belgium Brewery in Ft. Collins. You have to make appointments for a tour but I liked it much better than the Coors and Budweiser breweries.
    http://www.newbelgium.com/culture/visit-us.aspx

There is also a big cat preserve called the Wild Animal Sanctuary about 1 1/2 hour drive from Denver out on the plains. Here is their website
    http://www.wildanimalsanctuary.org/home.html
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

If you're a music person, the Denver area has a ton of great venues and there's always really great shows. Fun nighttime option.

Oh and I'd definitely go up to Boulder if you have time, go hiking, shopping, even just walk around. Denver and Boulder are awesome, I love it out there
    -----
    This is not a true story
    -----