The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bonnie Mosser Clinic?

So there is a going to be a Bonnie Mosser clinic in my area in a few months, and I think I may go! I've always admired Bonnie, so I am excited to be able to do a clinic, plus it's at a facility that isn't usually open to schooling. I don't usually do clinics because I feel I get excellent instruction already, and in the past the couple of clinics I've done haven't been that helpful, as they've either confused things, or I felt I wasn't challenged enough. Fortunately my new horse is relatively uncomplicated, so I think things should go well.
    Who here has cliniced or ridden with Bonnie? Any advice, tips, or experiences? they are offering limited private stadium as well as group lessons, so I am thinking I will do a private stadium and group XC lessons. My horse is a 5 y/o TB who has gone novice with my trainer. I plan to compete him BN (I've competed BN before on other horses), and hope to move up to novice this fall.

Did a clinic with Bonnie two years ago. And still carry some of her pointers in my head! Not only was she terrific, but alot of fun. You will not regret it. No advice...just go and learn.

I'm curious as to your reason for wanting to attend the clinic? If you already get "excellent instruction", your horse is going novice with the trainer, and you've competed BN...what is your goal? To compete novice with this horse?
    What are you expecting Bonnie to give you that your current trainer is not?
    Just wondering -- I usually have a goal in mind for all of my clinic experiences, and use good clinics with outstanding instructors with huge eventing experience (like Bonnie) to move up a level, to confirm a level so that I have the skill check I need to make a decision about what level to enter next, etc.
    I would not waste an opportunity with a person like Bonnie. She's really excellent and if you go into the opportunity with an open mind to what you are going to learn, and how to learn it, you'll be great -- and get a lot out of it.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I know Bonnie personally and have ridden extensively with her. Best instructor and person I know!!
    Why walk when you can ride?

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    I'm curious as to your reason for wanting to attend the clinic? If you already get "excellent instruction", your horse is going novice with the trainer, and you've competed BN...what is your goal? To compete novice with this horse?
    What are you expecting Bonnie to give you that your current trainer is not?
    Just wondering -- I usually have a goal in mind for all of my clinic experiences, and use good clinics with outstanding instructors with huge eventing experience (like Bonnie) to move up a level, to confirm a level so that I have the skill check I need to make a decision about what level to enter next, etc.
    I would not waste an opportunity with a person like Bonnie. She's really excellent and if you go into the opportunity with an open mind to what you are going to learn, and how to learn it, you'll be great -- and get a lot out of it.
    Huh? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand your questions. I thought I made it clear in my post. I know a lot of people do clinics because they don't have regular instruction. I have regular instruction that is quite good, so I'm not necessarily looking for someone to fix a big problem or anything. I don't believe in going to clinics with a "goal" in mind b/c that just sets you up for disappointment. My "goal," if you will, is to have fun and see what she has to offer. The whole reason I want to do the clinic is b/c I am open minded and want to see what kinds of things she would have us do. Plus, as I mentioned, the clinic is at a facility that is usually not open to schooling, so it would be a good opportunity. I would never rely on a clinic though if I wanted to move up a level or make a decision about what level to enter--that sort of advice should not be coming from someone who only meets me once, but is better suited coming from a regular instructor. I'm not necessarily expecting Bonnie to give me something my regular trainers are not, I'm just curious to what sort of exercises she would have us do.

I did a couple of clinics with my old horse, and didn't get as much out of them as I'd hoped for a variety of reasons. With one trainer, his theories were a little too cookie cutter and just didn't work for my horse who was a lazy, draft cross. Not that my horse was complicated by any means, but this guy's way of riding was really meant for a naturally forward horse. Same thing happened with a 2nd clinician. 3rd clinician was in a group setting and while the exercises and teaching was great, I didn't feel challenged enough, but that was because of the other people in the group. When I returned and did private and semi-private lessons with him, I was challenged much more and had a great experience. That is why I want to do a private stadium lesson (which is offered) at the clinic.

Anyway, I was just looking for any tips, advice or experiences! Like I said, my new horse is not very complicated. He's a young, green guy, and loads of fun. I've been riding for a while, and honestly I will never aspire to riding above training level, if that even! I want to spend some time at BN with the horse to get to know him, and then move up to novice when I'm ready, hopefully in the fall. My trainer did 2 novices with him this winter, and he'll probably do 2 more this spring. He's young, only 5, so I don't want to push him too fast too soon. He's the nicest horse I've had, so I hope that we have many, many years together.

I highly, highly recommend bonnie, both as a clinician and trainer.

I worked with her on and off for a few years while working with another trainer and she was always able to constructively build on whatever we were working on. She wont try and completely change you in a clinic, but rather add onto whatever you are working on. Later on I ended up riding with her fairly exclusively, and for several years. She was always so helpful and supportive. I wish she wasnt so far away!

Me too. I miss Bonnie.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I sent in my registration today--I can't wait!

You"ll have a blast!! She's a great instructor, and really fun to boot! She's just started teaching out of the barn I ride at about 4 months ago and the difference in some of the horses and riders is absolutly amazing! Which clinic are you going to, if you don't mind me asking?

It's in CT at Kent School in July.