The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default BOB Buckle-Crown Bridle in Ad!

Where can I find that on the website? What is it called?

Long story short: My mule does not want a bridle shoved over his ears. (Had him for three years, can handle ears just fine, not a point I have the energy to argue over.) Mules are rare in the English world, so all the "mule bridles" with the buckle on the crown are giant western ones with ties. Don't want.

So I've bought a few flat hunt bridles on Ebay, and had my cobbler put buckles in the crowns. He barely speaks English and like most non-horse people thinks a bridle looks like a very confusing instrument of torture, but he did a good job. But I want a fancier bridle for my little mule-kins! Like the BOB one!

Someone find the link for me? I've been looking! Is this style of bridle popular in the English world (and I've somehow just never seen it once in my 15 years ) and called something besides a "buckle crown bridle"?

If you aren't opposed to rolled bridles, look for those. They have buckles on the crown more often. Bobby's Bridles is a good place to start - I know they have them, because I bought one.

Another option would be to get a bridle that has buckles on the cheek pieces instead of hook/studs.

Then you can unbuckle one side of the bit from the cheek piece and put the bridle on from the poll first -- so you can lift it as high as you need to to get it on without bending his ears. Once it's in place on his head, ask him to take the bit and buckle the bit back to the cheek piece.

Hook/stud closures would require too much tugging at the bit to get them refastened, but buckles are quick and easy. You do need to be careful to hold the bit steady while you buckle it, but it works fine.

For day to day work, you can jury rig a clip to make it easier, so you don't even have to worry about the buckles except in show situations.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyVagrant View Post
    If you aren't opposed to rolled bridles, look for those. They have buckles on the crown more often. Bobby's Bridles is a good place to start - I know they have them, because I bought one.

-- so you can lift it as high as you need to to get it on without bending his ears. Once it's in place on his head, ask him to take the bit and buckle the bit back to the cheek piece.

I'm definitely not opposed! I actually love rolled bridles....how do they get the buckle on the crown if it's rolled, though?

It's not even bending the ears that he minds, he just doesn't like stuff touching them. So disassembling just half doesn't work...the buckle at the crown is quick and easy, nothing touches.

I can handle his ears however I like, and he loves getting them scritched, so the bridling issue just isn't something I'm overly concerned about. Not when there's a simple solution. Thanks for the tip about Bobbys! I will give them a call.

You were right! Bobby's does have several styles with the buckle crowns:
    http://www.eqtack.com/catalog/produc...a615e40b1c7e47

Just wish they weren't all $200+, a little more than I want to spend on my backyard trail pony.

I'm confused.

Either way you do it, there will be the crownpiece touching behind the ears.

Why does it matter weather you buckle it on top or on the side?
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Watch eBay -- I picked up my rolled Bobby's there for a lot less than $200.

Or you can probably find something similar in a different brand, like this: link

Guessing the quality isn't great at that price, but at any rate you probably have more options with a rolled bridle than a regular one.

Quote Originally Posted by analise View Post
    I'm confused.

Either way you do it, there will be the crownpiece touching behind the ears.

Why does it matter weather you buckle it on top or on the side?
    Not sure why.

It's the pulling of the crownpiece over his ears that he takes offense to. So I just unbuckle his halter/altered bridle, he puts his head down, and I just buckle it back up behind his ears. So nothing is being shoved over them. It's an issue that is slowly remedying itself, but not one that I have any interest in picking a fight over, so I just get used to buckling crown pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyVagrant View Post
    Watch eBay -- I picked up my rolled Bobby's there for a lot less than $200.

Or you can probably find something similar in a different brand, like this: link

Guessing the quality isn't great at that price, but at any rate you probably have more options with a rolled bridle than a regular one.
    Thank you so much! I had no idea the rolled bridles usually came with the buckle crowns! Off to stalk ebay!