The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trainer Gary King

Mountaineer, Turfway, Thistledown?? Anyone know him? I have an ottb that lists the trainer as Gary King for every race he ran. He was not a very good racehorse, but he is the sweetest, kindest, gentlest ottb I've ever met! I'm just in love with this horse, and it's quite clear that whoever did all his early training did a very good job. The horse's name is Mr. Painter, he's a 2006 chestnut gelding. I'd love to know more about his past, and let his old owner/trainer know that he found a good home! How can I get in touch without being annoying? Email/snail-mail?
    Gallant Gesture "Liam" 1995 chestnut ottb gelding
    Mr. Painter "Remy" 2006 chestnut ottb gelding
    Stories about our adventures:http://tbatx.wordpress.com

Default Gary King

Hello, I worked for Gary King for 4 years in the early '80s at Thistledown. 3 years ago, I went back to see him after many years, I also saw him 2 years ago at Thistledown. Then last year I saw that he had retired. I was sorry that I had not gotten any contact info from him before I left as he was a great influence on me when I was so young. Gary was a wonderful trainer who treated his horses like royalty and with great love and respect. He was a very hard and dedicated worker with a fabulous sense of humor, I always wished that he would find the "Big Horse" that would put him in the league of great trainers as that is what he was. It comes as no surprise to me that you love a horse that he trained. I'm sorry that I could not give you any more info but I thought that you might like to hear a little bit about him. If you find any info on him please let me know as I will be going to visit Ohio again in july. Good luck.
    Patty

Looks like he is doing some training again this year (12 races); he had a starter at Presque Isle yesterday:

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbT...o.cfm?eID=4482

Thanks so much for the info guys!!

Patty, that is so great! I guess I was sorta picturing him that way, or maybe hoping, but it sounds just right! This horse was definitely treated well, and I just couldn't shake the feeling that someone really cared about him... sounds like it was probably Gary! I will let you know if I find any contact info.

Pallas, thanks for the info. I will call tomorrow and see if I can track him down!

Default gary king

Hello, I know this is an old post but I figured I would give this a shot. I work with Gary King AND I used to take care of Mr. Painter! He was a 2-3 year old when he was at the farm (Louisville, Oh) he was a HUGE chestnut with not a bit of white (maybe a speck on his forehead) right? He was such a kind boy, not a mean bone in his body. Gary is how everyone has described him. A serious, yet funny man. He would come and help me in the winter when the barns were full and I'll tell you what, he told me some of the funniest stories while we were cleaning the barns. The horses under his care are his number one priority. He never pushes them too hard and he knows to give the youngsters time to grow up (Mr. Painter) and grow into themselves. If you have any questions for me feel free to ask. I may actually have some old pictures I could dig up for you.

Kelly

Hi Kelly! I can't believe you knew not only Gary, but also my horse! Mr. Painter is indeed a huge (17 hands now) chestnut with a small star. It's so great to hear about what wonderful people were responsible for his early care and training, the great job you guys did is very evident, this horse is just a delight to work with! I sent you an email, and I would love to see some old pictures if you find any! Thanks!!

A few posts back, Patty was also looking for contact info for Gary, maybe you could help her reconnect?

Christy

Default Gary King

Thanks Christy for thinking of me. That was wonderful to hear what you had to say about Gary, Kelly. Yes, I would love to hear more about what he is doing these days. I hope that he is doing well and I'm glad to hear that he is still a joy to work for.
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by GallantGesture View Post
    Mountaineer, Turfway, Thistledown?? Anyone know him? I have an ottb that lists the trainer as Gary King for every race he ran. He was not a very good racehorse, but he is the sweetest, kindest, gentlest ottb I've ever met! I'm just in love with this horse, and it's quite clear that whoever did all his early training did a very good job. The horse's name is Mr. Painter, he's a 2006 chestnut gelding. I'd love to know more about his past, and let his old owner/trainer know that he found a good home! How can I get in touch without being annoying? Email/snail-mail?

Hi--I am Gary King's friend/girlfriend. I also worked for him for many years but am now a librarian. I know Kelly! He can be reached at (216) 496-2493. He is training this winter at Turfway Park in KY and is in barn 27. I don't know if he can tell you anything specific about your horse--I think the horse might have gotten a little sore and lost the desire to compete. I kind of remmeber he got a virus (if it is the horse I am thinking of) that wouldn't quit, meaning his immune system was a little weak. If that happens, Gary quits with the horse rather than run them into the ground like some people do. Gary always tries to find homes for his ex-racehorses and does not send anything to the killers! I am glad you posted the link about the horse, it is nice to see one of our former horses doing well and winning ribbons!

2 members found this post helpful.