The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trying to find the Right Cross-Country Vest

I have been looking to buy a cross-country vest. There are a lot of nice ones out there, but I am not sure which way to go. Tipperary's are very cool and flexible, but they are not certified, which makes them questionable to me, I would feel a bunch safer in something that is a little more sturdy. I was looking at the INTEC Flex-Rider, which is more on the affordable side, and its certified, but some of my barn buddies say it bulky and uncomfortable, gets really hot, and tears easily. I have not tried out the vest yet, so I can't say so. Anyway, if you have an suggestions for a vest that might be right for me, or if you have a used one for sale, that would help me too. I am rather small and wear a size 32 in cross-country vests. Thanks!!!
    Last edited by x.Eventing.x; Jul. 2, 2011 at 11:15 AM.

I don't know if you are an experienced rider or have gotten some bad information but let me fix a few things.

1) Certification only pertains to puncture resistance. There is no measure of injury or tissue protection otherwise.

2) For this reason certified vest are recommended but not required.

3) The only reason Tipperary panel vest are not certified is due to item 1 presented. The small panels offer the possibility for something to go between the panels and puncture skin.

From my own experience, I have slammed into fences and been run over in my panel Tipperary. It did a great job of protecting me. I still use them.

Lot's of folks like RP vest. KAN makes a vest specific for women riders. You might look into that.

Reed

I just got a Kan vest. It is comfortable on, but it will be very hot in the summer. However, it seems to offer a lot more protection than my Tipparary.

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth Callahan View Post
    I just got a Kan vest. It is comfortable on, but it will be very hot in the summer. However, it seems to offer a lot more protection than my Tipparary.
    Did you order your Kan from Great Britain or did you find a US supplier? If the former, how long did it take to get it?

I'm probably going to get the Kan, as soon as I take my measurements to figure the right size.
    What's Horsie in the Twin Tiers? Find out here:
    http://thetwintiershorse.blogspot.com/

Former user name: GilbertsCreeksideAcres

Default Airowear Outlyne Flexible Protective Riding Vest

I am new to eventing from h/j, and hated the thought of buying any type of vest. I went to Dover to try on several types. I'm 5'1 and very short-waisted, but no longer size 6, so most vests were hitting the back of the saddle. I bought a Tipp, but ended up exchanging it after reading about the Airowear Outlyne Flexible Protective Riding Vest, especially that it is designed for women. I have only worn it 2 times, and after the first minute in it I TOTALLY forgot I had it on. It has large (1/4 or 1/2 inch) holes punched thru it, so I'm hoping that helps somewhat with ventilation as the weather warms.

Also, I hate to admit it, but the first day standing near the xc course my greenie kinda blew up at the sight of blowing tape (I was not paying attention, and the reins were long ), and landed on my back - it was like landing on a mattress!!!

I HAVE to highly recommend this vest.

You should really give those "flimsy" vests a second thought. As Rayers said, the certification relates to puncture resistance. I have a non-certified Casel-Equi vest (similar design to the Tipperary). Having been slammed into MANY a solid fence, I'd like to say that I am still alive and well and have never had to go to the hospital for a horse injury. My "worst" injury involved spraining my ankle at a particularly nasty fall into a ditch- where from the way I fell onto the side and then into the ditch I firmly believe I could've broken my collarbone and/or some ribs if not for my vest. I was especially impressed the time I slammed directly onto my lumbar vertbrae on a rock wall and wasn't even sore on the impact site (still had some muscle soreness from flying over my horse's head...).

I recommend the Casel-Equi because it's very comfortable and offers a few features the Tipperary doesn't. It's fairly flexible (I don't feel like I'm in a straightjacket) and stays pretty cool in the summer but is slim enough to fit under a jacket for schooling in the late winter/early spring. Unlike the Tipperary the laces on the side are elastic and therefore super easy to adjust and there's a little extra padding underneath them. There's also extra padding and velcro to adjust the fit over the collarbone. I also love that there's a pocket on the back for my safety card, making my insurance info readily available at schooling days (most riders I see schooling don't wear armbands...) and when riding hot/green/young horses at the farm.

I have the Casel Equi and also find it comfortable, and sadly have tried it out in a full on body-slam into the ground...

but I just need to say...

PLEASE PLEASE do not wear your safety card in that pocket. I have no idea why they put that there. You need to wear your safety card ON YOUR ARM. Not on your boot, not on your back.

The EMTs need to know where to find it, and trust me, if you have just been slammed onto your back, they'd really rather read the info off your arm. When I crashed (and I mean, head first, then crashed onto my back, bounced across the ground, laid there moaning on my back until they strapped me on the backboard), all they wanted to do was get me on the backboard with the least disruption to my spine possible. No rolling me over to see the medical card.

Wear the armband. On your arm.

Safety rant over (sorry, I work at several recog hts a year and cannot tell you how often this is a real problem).
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post
    I have the Casel Equi and also find it comfortable, and sadly have tried it out in a full on body-slam into the ground...

but I just need to say...

PLEASE PLEASE do not wear your safety card in that pocket. I have no idea why they put that there. You need to wear your safety card ON YOUR ARM. Not on your boot, not on your back.

The EMTs need to know where to find it, and trust me, if you have just been slammed onto your back, they'd really rather read the info off your arm. When I crashed (and I mean, head first, then crashed onto my back, bounced across the ground, laid there moaning on my back until they strapped me on the backboard), all they wanted to do was get me on the backboard with the least disruption to my spine possible. No rolling me over to see the medical card.

Wear the armband. On your arm.

Safety rant over (sorry, I work at several recog hts a year and cannot tell you how often this is a real problem).
    Of note as well is that per the rules, your medical card MUST be on your arm - using that little pocket can get you in trouble. (In competition - obviously that doesn't apply to schooling, but asterix makes an excellent point about no one wanted to roll you over to check your medical card regardless of the venue.)
    Proud member of the EDRF

If you want the comfort & fit of the Tipperary vests, Phoenix has come out with these 2 ASTM models

Competitor XP

Competitor XC

Unfortunately neither fits quite like the Eventer so if you're long waisted, you'll need to go custom or choose another model/vest. For smaller fit, look at the youth sizes offered by the various manufacturers (they are often substantially fewer $$ as well).

Before assuming that a rigid shell vest is safer, do your research

I have a tipperary eventer and I love it. Im not going to bother repeating whats already been said on the issue. It fits great though and I don't feel restricted or heavy.
    "My ideal horse is the horse that I fall in love with again every morning when I see his face hanging over the stable door, looking for breakfast. " - Jim Wofford

I have the Tipp eventer and the CO and the Tipp is cooler and more comfortable, but I always thought that the CO was safer due to the rigid panels? It's a Beta 3, so does that mean anything? I'd love a more detailed explanation if anyone can enlighten me! thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by afox2332 View Post
    I am new to eventing from h/j, and hated the thought of buying any type of vest. I went to Dover to try on several types. I'm 5'1 and very short-waisted, but no longer size 6, so most vests were hitting the back of the saddle. I bought a Tipp, but ended up exchanging it after reading about the Airowear Outlyne Flexible Protective Riding Vest, especially that it is designed for women. I have only worn it 2 times, and after the first minute in it I TOTALLY forgot I had it on. It has large (1/4 or 1/2 inch) holes punched thru it, so I'm hoping that helps somewhat with ventilation as the weather warms.

Also, I hate to admit it, but the first day standing near the xc course my greenie kinda blew up at the sight of blowing tape (I was not paying attention, and the reins were long ), and landed on my back - it was like landing on a mattress!!!

I HAVE to highly recommend this vest.
    Second the Airowear Outlyne. Love mine, but got it much cheaper at Amira Equi even with shipping from UK to US. I needed something to fit my large chest and short torso. I wore it all last summer, well ventilated and conforms to body nicely, not stiff.

The thing I like about the Tipperarys is that they give you more coverage. They come down further in back and front. Many others seem to stop short. My Tipperary has shoulder pads that I got because I have had shoulder injuries. My Tipperary and I have hit the ground a number of times and it has protected me well!

I've used the tipperary and when I needed a new one, I chose the Casel Equi. I find it much more confortable and movable, although a little warmer, than the tipperary. I've had quite a few crashes in it, including face first, shoulder first and being dragged and stepped on and it has probably saved my life. I don't think I could deal with the hard vests restriction.
    www.tabeventing.com
    http://www.tracey-eventblog.blogspot.com/

"A canter is a cure for every evil." - Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by paintmare View Post
    Second the Airowear Outlyne. Love mine, but got it much cheaper at Amira Equi even with shipping from UK to US. I needed something to fit my large chest and short torso. I wore it all last summer, well ventilated and conforms to body nicely, not stiff.
    Could you give the link to that store, please, and how long it took to deliver? I tried one in Dover and really liked it, but they are pricey there (plus the price just got up recently ).

If you're small enough to fit a size 32, you really need to go to a store/trade show and try several vests on. I am a size 32/XXS in the Tipperary. I tried many vests on at Rolex and found that very few were slim enough around, but long enough for my spine/tailbone. The only vest that was long/slim enough for me was the Charles Owen JL9 in a Child's XL, which was my favourite for comfort anyway! I tried Rodney Powell, Aerowear, and a couple others (can't remember the names). I found the JL9 to be the most flexible and cool. It conformed to my body very quickly (it was a warm day) and gave me more 'support' than my current Tipperary, although it isn't stiff at all. My student also bought a JL9, as her older Charles Owen is quite a bit stiffer.

Anyway, everyone is going to have their own preferences, but with a slimmer body type, I didn't get much choice when it came down to fit. If you choose Tipperary, mine is for sale - black, never had a fall.

I just ordered a Rodney Powell Pro Vest at Rolex from SmartPak custom everything came to $199.95 with free shipping. I have been riding in a custom Tipperary for several years and have hit the ground more than once. The only thing that I ever broke was my ankle. I chose to order a RP vest for several reasons; the age of my Tipperary and that it no longer passes the highest standard. I'm a mom to young kids so I need to make it home in one piece. Now that I have tried on RP vest the old Tipperary does not feel that secure. Can't wait until the new vest arrives!
    Last edited by RedRyderKy; May. 11, 2011 at 02:27 PM.
    Things happen for a reason...so when I reach over and smack you upside the head, just remember...you gave me a reason!

Thanks for all of the great posts!! I really do like the JL9, I tried it on at a CIC***. I am an XL in childrens, but since I also need a new helmet, (my current one is warped from a fall) I am on a tight budget. I am really trying to find a good used one, but I just can't find anything.
    Needs to invest in a sign that says 'Gone Riding' so people won't wonder why I am never home.