The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    My point is many believed that under President Bush so much oil would be flowing to our shores from Iraq.
    I thought it was about oil because otherwise invading Iraq made absolutely no sense. Bush squandered an extremely high approval rating to make a war out of nothing.

As far as I was concerned, they could have wiped Afghanistan off the map, but Iraq???
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    I thought it was about oil because otherwise invading Iraq made absolutely no sense.
    From this week's news:

Secret memos expose links between oil firms and invasion of Iraq

Quote Originally Posted by Shermy View Post
    Media mostly is made up of liberal people, so they twist the news to their beliefs. They will never tell the truth about what is really going on behind the scenes. Obama is their guy, therefore, will just keep covering for him.

Whatever happened under Bush was bad, but now, they make excuses for those same things.
    Really. So Obama is responsible for several wars, tax cuts and TARP? Give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    Really. So Obama is responsible for several wars, tax cuts and TARP? Give me a break.
    No, but Obamageddon is responsible for the "non-stimulating" stimulus, trillion dollar annual deficits, a health control law with even more borrowed money, a Libyan involvement where nobody wants to take the lead, and the potential downgrade of our credit rating.

Add in a weakening dollar, near double digit unemployment, drilling bans, and coming stagflation.

Instead of obamageddon apologizing for America, he should apologize TO America.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    WB,
    What oil industry conference was that and when? I thought the Iraqi's were in charge of their own security? I've seen news reports of occasional bombings and deaths, but aren't they still exporting oil? That is their source of revenue.

Are these American companies or others who got contracts to drill for oil over there? My point is many believed that under President Bush so much oil would be flowing to our shores from Iraq.
    It was one of the major annual, international conferences (held here in the US), right at the time all the saber-rattling was going on. The actual invasion occurred days or, at most a couple of weeks, after the conference. It's been a while, and I didn't exactly write it in my diary.

Why would the Iraqis being involved in anything beyond signing contracts and permits to drill (and, of course, collecting nice, fat contract fees and sales profits)? Petroleum E&P is often an international parent company and a bunch of multi-national subcontractors who pretty much go anywhere and do their thing. Which country you're working in kinda boils down to how long the flight is, how crappy the accomodations, food, and roads are, and whether you're likely to get eaten by the local wildlife or caught in political unrest. So, no, they supply their own security. Especially in places where you're likely to be kidnapped, blown up, carjacked, robbed, or shot--by accident or on purpose--by anyone from gangs to governments.

I really don't understand your question about American companies. The only companies I KNOW are 100% USA-owned and operated are quite small. The ones that start looking successful tend to get snapped up by one of the biggies, most of whom are not US firms. The US stood to profit as an administrator--basically, he who controls the asset gets to pay himself as he pleases and negotiate sweet deals for himself.
    ---------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Talk about torpedoing your own argument...
    No, just saying that I see enough of CNN, etc to know that you have to dig further to get the truth!!!

It's funny, what is really happening in the world never shows up even on CNN.

Quote Originally Posted by Shermy View Post
    Obama was against raising the Debt Ceiling when he was in Congress, yet now, he is all for it.
    The debt ceiling is the biggest farce. It's like maxing your credit card and then being allowed to raise your own credit limit without regard to your income or other debt obligations.

Of course, in the TWO years as President, Obama has spent more than all the other Presidents before him.
    I think it took three years, not two, if you look at the budget going back to 1940 adjusted for inflation at
    http://www.davemanuel.com/history-of...ted-states.php.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

:
    Of course, in the TWO years as President, Obama has spent more than all the other Presidents before him.
    I think it took three years, not two, if you look at the budget going back to 1940 adjusted for inflation at
    http://www.davemanuel.com/history-of...ted-states.php.
    Except those are not spending figures, so it does not prove the point.

The chart farther below about deficits as a percentage of GDP is more interesting.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.