The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Gas prices and the Media

Flame suit on:

Gas prices are spiking again.

When President Bush was el presidente, the media was all saying it was his fault.

Now, prices are even higher. Obama's administration has cut US drilling by 13%, endorsed other countries to drill more, all the while other countries are drilling off our shores...but the media hasn't said a peep about it being Obama's fault.

The economy is crapping out, the dollar is falling yet he and Washington cannot fathom to do anything to help the economy but tax and hand out money where it doesn't help.....

and the media still leans the way it does....
    I love my OTTB! I get my dressage test done faster!

All commodity prices, not just those for oil, gasoline, and diesel, are increasing because the Fed is devaluing the dollar (quantitative easing).

From the way you frame your question, it is obvious you want to start a fight, not a discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaytb View Post
    Flame suit on:

Gas prices are spiking again.

When President Bush was el presidente, the media was all saying it was his fault.

Now, prices are even higher. Obama's administration has cut US drilling by 13%, endorsed other countries to drill more, all the while other countries are drilling off our shores...but the media hasn't said a peep about it being Obama's fault.

The economy is crapping out, the dollar is falling yet he and Washington cannot fathom to do anything to help the economy but tax and hand out money where it doesn't help.....

and the media still leans the way it does....

This is a tragically simplistic assessment, demonstrative of the poor understanding of government structure and function that is becoming woefully common in the US.

The President - be he Republican, Democrat, or Tea Partier - has no control over the free market. Nor is his administration responsible for the actions of Congress. Actions which may or may not be contributing to high gas prices.
    Anybody that blames the President for things wildly outside of his purview has a very poor understanding of the world. This includes the media.

More likely, the spike in prices was caused by the activities of commodities traders following the political upheaval in Egypt and Libya.

And let's not forget that oil is heavily subsidized in this country, allowing us to enjoy artificially low prices.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

The other point to remember is, the first time the gas prices were 4+ dollars, it was the first time. It was news. Now, it is same song, second verse.

And prices aren't higher yet.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

The fact that half of OPEC is imploding before our very eyes would, of course, have NOTHING to do w/ the spike in gas prices. Not at all.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Actually I have lived through multiple rounds of high gas prices starting in the 1970's. While this is the 2nd go round for $3-4+ high gas prices but in a different environment. However today unemployment is very high making it harder for those looking for work and for many to be able to get to their jobs. During the 1st round of high prices I discussed working from home or at an alternate site with my mgr. Also prices are rising on everything, food and clothing especially) which multiplies the impact on everyone.

I too am surprised at the lack of coverage and finger pointing. While it peaceful, one has to wonder why so quiet.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    This is a tragically simplistic assessment, demonstrative of the poor understanding of government structure and function that is becoming woefully common in the US.

The President - be he Republican, Democrat, or Tea Partier - has no control over the free market. Nor is his administration responsible for the actions of Congress. Actions which may or may not be contributing to high gas prices.
    Anybody that blames the President for things wildly outside of his purview has a very poor understanding of the world. This includes the media.

More likely, the spike in prices was caused by the activities of commodities traders following the political upheaval in Egypt and Libya.

And let's not forget that oil is heavily subsidized in this country, allowing us to enjoy artificially low prices.
    You right.
    mykidshavefourlegs.blogspot.com

Of course the main stream media is not going to call for Obama to do something......Remember the cry to release our Oil Reserves when Bush was in charge? Oh yeah, this is the Hope and Change regime.
    I think his goal is to get gas prices up as high as Europe.

Why have we are we not drilling our own oil??? We have plenty according to the experts. If we had started drilling 5 or 10 years ago, we would be in fine shape now. If we even started drilling now, OPEC would get nervous and drop their prices!

Why are we giving money to Brazil for them to drill??? Whta re we NOT drilling!!!

Contrary to the flip remark by the Obama, I already drive a fuel efficient car, but I HAVE to drive in order to get to work each day. There is NO public tansportation in the back woods of Arizona.

The BP oil spill wiped out at the shorelines of at least 4 gulf coast states, and cost millions in lost jobs and revenue. It was and still is an environmental disaster.. do you seriously want more drilling off your shores, without some secure safety measures in place?

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona DQ View Post
    Of course the main stream media is not going to call for Obama to do something......Remember the cry to release our Oil Reserves when Bush was in charge? Oh yeah, this is the Hope and Change regime.
    I think his goal is to get gas prices up as high as Europe.
    Again, the President has no control over the price of commodities. Anybody that blamed Bush for gas prices is just as stupid and ill informed as those currently blaming Obama. It simply isn't within the President's purview.

And the only reason gas prices here aren't as high as those in Europe is because the oil industry enjoys $36.5 billion in government subsidies. We're spoiled by artificially low prices.

Why have we are we not drilling our own oil??? We have plenty according to the experts. If we had started drilling 5 or 10 years ago, we would be in fine shape now.
    I guess that depends on your definition of "plenty". If we had started drilling 5 or 10 years ago, we may well be running out by now. No matter how you look at it, the amount of oil available is finite.

If we even started drilling now, OPEC would get nervous and drop their prices!
    More likely, OPEC would slow their own production in order to keep global prices stable. Supply and demand isn't nearly as simple as it sounds.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    And the only reason gas prices here aren't as high as those in Europe is because the oil industry enjoys $36.5 billion in government subsidies. We're spoiled by artificially low prices..
    Well, that, and gasoline is VERY heavily taxed in most European countries in order to pay for the amenities that their governments offer their citizens. You know, like health care, education, and whatnot. I wouldn't mind paying $6 a gallon IF we got the same things. But to deepen the pockets of speculators cynically manipulating the market... not so much.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Current gas price spikes are most directly related to the unrest in source countries.

And I bet my gas wins the "most expensive" competition. $4.67 last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona DQ View Post
    Why have we are we not drilling our own oil???
    What difference would that make?

Why are we giving money to Brazil for them to drill???
    Do you have some details on this you can share?

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMutt View Post
    Current gas price spikes are most directly related to the unrest in source countries.

And I bet my gas wins the "most expensive" competition. $4.67 last week.
    Nope..Niagara region in Ontario - converts to 5.14 a gallon or 1.369 / litre. I know it's higher yet in some areas - someone mentioned 1.40 elsewhere
    D
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Default not as simple as you think

Not starting a fight..just a discussion. Call me names..that's a fight

Yes, we are dependant on oil..thus why unrest in other countries causes our prices to rise (oil is not just used in fuel but also in the manufacturing of many products like plastics, etc). Why not use our supply while researching new fuel types, and let it benefit the US like drilling benefits other countries?

The devaluation of the dollar by the Fed is really going to hurt. Countries like Russia, Turkey and China are pushing to have the dollar removed as the accepted world wide currency and change it to the Euro. Which would be tragic to the US. ....the Euro has its problems. Strong countries', like Germany and England, currency is now placed in the same bucket as Ireland, Spain and Greece (ahem..bailout?) that has weekend the Euro.

Arizona DQ..exactly what I'm getting at..why aren't people/the media outraged? I also drive, I'm in sales and self employed . I do try to do as much over internet/phone, but sometimes that is not enough..and I cover 6 states!

Midge..so we should just accept it and go on as "life as usual"

War Admiral..I agree and I do believe that it was the speculators that affected the prices the last time. And Yes, If I saw a benefit, I'd pay it....

mercedespony..BP was a tragedy, and keeping the rigs closed is also a tragedy from all the jobs that were dependant on those rigs (and not just oil companies). I think the US is much better about safety standards than other countries, and they are drilling away..in our waters...

SNL... I have a better understanding than what you think...but what I was asking was why we don't hear the media say the same things now as when it first happened? What I was getting at was it WASN't the president's fault, but the media was so outraged that they made it sound like it was! Back then, it was obvious that it was due to speculation.

SO WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE NOW? and things are more dire than what most people understand...

SNL... I have a better understanding than what you think...but what I was asking was why we don't hear the media say the same things now as when it first happened? What I was getting at was it WASN't the president's fault, but the media was so outraged that they made it sound like it was! Back then, it was obvious that it was due to speculation.

SO WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE NOW? and things are more dire than what most people understand...
    Why do you want the media to be outraged? And what exactly should they be outraged about?

You say that you don't blame the office of the President, but you want the media to? That doesn't make any sense.

Maybe, instead of encouraging an ignorant viewpoint, the media should do their jobs and explain to the tragically undereducated public that the price of commodities is subject to global events and the whims of the market and that the President doesn't have the powers of God.
    -George Morris

Midge..so we should just accept it and go on as "life as usual"
    Accept what?

Oops..sorry Midge...I mean't that you said it the gas prices spiking was news when it first happened and now it's old news...And I ask: So we should just accept it and go on?

Funny, gas around here is cheap! The oil glut in Cushing, OK has kept our prices down around $3.50 a gallon.

Another reason gas prices are so high in other places in the US is that our LARGEST oil importer, Canada, has only 1 pipeline into the US. It is combined with the other lines from the oil fields in the Rocky Mountain West and North Central states. There is more oil in these areas than in Alaska and it is being drilled. However, there is only one delivery line. Another line is in the planning stages but that is a few years out.

The federal government has little effect on oil prices via policy. The free market after the oil has left the well and that commodities buyers buy the oil while it is still in shipment is the greater player in the price. Also, the price we see is based on West Texas Sweet Crude ($108). Oil out of Saudi is sour and is much more expensive to refine. At the same time, Other sweet oil such as Brent in the North Sea is going for $127 a barrel due to Asia and European demand.

I think the media is doing fine explaining oil prices. Then again, I get my information from multiple outlets and media types.