The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vespucci martingale..How dark can I make this?

Both my nice martingales were lifted. I am looking at a Vespucci martingale on clearance. The color is newmarket. How dark do you think I can get it to oil to? I use hydrophane darkening oil. I have very dark tack (CWD saddle and Smartpak Wellfleet wide noseband bridle).

Can anyone suggest a cheap martingale that I can use for schooling and small shows if necessary? One that comes in dark brown or that will take oil well?

My vespucci bridle and breastplate came out black. A friend of mine oiled for me so I don't know what she used.

Quote Originally Posted by superD View Post
    My vespucci bridle and breastplate came out black. A friend of mine oiled for me so I don't know what she used.
    great, do you know what color they were when you got them? They come in brown, oakbark and newmarket. Newmarket is pretty orange

I had the oakbark and it's darkened down prettily with several coats of olive oil. It's still quite new so I suspect it will darken more with age. I would say it's a medium brown now.

The newmarket colour doesnt tend to change too much It gets less orange, but its still a light brown colour after loads of oil.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    The newmarket colour doesnt tend to change too much It gets less orange, but its still a light brown colour after loads of oil.
    Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! I like my tack dark!

I always keep a supply of Fiebings' leather dye - dark brown and also black on hand. I always dye my leather - I always figure no reason I can't have it be the color I want it. It always comes out perfect. I had a bridle which was pieces from other bridles I had long ago - some pieces were black, some brown, but all were super high quality raised, and I bought a new browband and a new cavesson, both black and a new set of reins, brown because the brown ones were on sale, but nice high quality and dyed the entire thing black. It looks like a brand new black bridle. Definitely nice enough to show in.

I died my brown passier black. Everyone at the barn is amazed. I did it last summer, and they still stop and look at it and say "I can't believe that's your brown passier. Gosh, it looks great."

I have a dark brown bottle of leather dye, which turns the yellow leather the nice deep used brown you want to see in old hunt bridles.

Just thought I'd share that's what I do.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

I have become such a leather diva over the years.

I do have a Vespucci bridle that is "really" dark. It was the brown color. I don't even know where I got this bridle but I think the leather is still very waxie feeling even after being a few years old. So it is a bridle I do not use much.

I LOVE my Arc De Triumph martingale....... but I'm not sure what price range they are in.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Gatsby strap goods (lots of it on eBay) are relatively inexpensive and a very nice dark brown. The Agway here carries them so I've seen them in person and can vouch for them. To my eye, they seem very good quality for the price; the leather is not stiff at all.

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post

I LOVE my Arc De Triumph martingale....... but I'm not sure what price range they are in.
    ADT is pretty expensive. Bridles run about $400 and the martingales were about $180. That said, its gorgeous tack and really nice leather.

I've had a couple ADT bridles and strap goods and the "spotting" that showed on one of the bridles when oiled for the first time was very upsetting.

I use vespucci bridles for everyday schooling and such and they're fabulous and stand up to lots of use.

AR, thread hijack, do you use the Fiebings leather dye or the professional oil dye? Thanks!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by JustThatSimple View Post
    I've had a couple ADT bridles and strap goods and the "spotting" that showed on one of the bridles when oiled for the first time was very upsetting.

I use vespucci bridles for everyday schooling and such and they're fabulous and stand up to lots of use.
    So - - (hijack) to get the waxie feeling off the vespucci, how do you do that?

I have found my best wearing bridles are Pessoas and Stubbens.... VERY NICE leather; soft and buttery but both bridles are over 10 years old... I am amazed how well they have held up.

And again (hijack) on the leather dye..... I have a Cliff Barnsby girth that I LOVE but the leather is turning white... I oil it and it just looks yucky.

Didn't know the ADT were so pricey! I think I only paid about 80.00 for the martingale.... we have a local tack store that is really reasonable on english tack. But they are not stocking the good brands anymore... I think the mass majority buy cheap stuff so they stock that stuff more.

We also have a used tack place that is really cool... you have to just stop by every so often to see what good stuff they have.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!