The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Ideal Holsteiner Mare?

I know the Holsteiner breeders want to keep their mareline "pure" (brain isn't kicking in a better word) -- and the marebase in Germany is considered large and ideal. So, for the rest of us -- is there a good example/prototype of what you consider the "ideal" Holsteiner mare? Photo please and explanation would help. TIA
    PennyG

I can't believe there is no response to this ... seems like a number of views. Where are Bayhawk RyTimMick, etc. ? C'mon -- show us that perfect Holsteiner mare!
    PennyG

Default Trying to get those who know to respond . . .

I'd like views on this question as well -- I certainly don't know myself. To spur more responses, here's a baseline photo against which posters can make comparisons:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dressagemule.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	32629  

Default That was a joke, of course

I thought maybe inserting some humor would generate some real responses.

Note that I am NOT denigrating Holsteiners or in any way comparing them to mules.

Here are some pretty young girls-different ones may appeal to different tastes. (And of course it does not show have atheletically they move. :-))

http://www.holsteiner-verband.de/cms....php?idcat=219

This was posted by Bayhawk on the Hickstead thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Kwb...ature=youtu.be

Now *that's* a broodmare.......

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Malone View Post
    This was posted by Bayhawk on the Hickstead thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Kwb...ature=youtu.be

Now *that's* a broodmare.......
    Acorado / Ramiro / Landgraf / Ronald stamm 776. This is my favorite mare in Holstein.

I have admired her since she was born. I was lucky and got her filly from Canturo last year. Not as pretty in the face as this mare but nearly iidentical from the ears back. She is pregnant with Singulord Joter .

Omare.......I like the Acodetto and Canto mares you provided.

Last edited by RyTimMick; Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:46 AM.
    Sparling Rock Holsteiners
    www.sparlingrock.com

Those mares are indeed lovely -- very breedy looking, which you know I like!
    What is the breeding of the mare you posted, Tim? Thanks.
    PennyG

Quote Originally Posted by TKR View Post
    Those mares are indeed lovely -- very breedy looking, which you know I like!
    What is the breeding of the mare you posted, Tim? Thanks.
    PennyG
    I'll answer that for ya Penny.

She is Acodetto / Lord / Masetto / Ramiro stamm 776. She was the reserve champion mare in Holstein year before last. She makes the 5th States Premium mare in a row in the line.

Quote Originally Posted by RyTimMick View Post
    Beautiful mare Tim!

I use that pictures as a reminder of what we aim for. They don't get much typier then that.

Tim
    Sparling Rock Holsteiners
    www.sparlingrock.com

Wow, she is beautiful!!

Default Ideal - for what purpose?

This question that has no simple answer, however much we would like it. We are trying to judge (or guess) genotype based on phenotype. Even though bloodlines/conformation/movement/jumping ability/rideability/perfomance are the traits we go by. As the mare goes through the inspection/approval/training/show process, we can gather more and more information. However, even with all this, the ultimate measure of the mare is production. Some of the top producing mares dis not look "ideal" at their approvals - or they didn't end up going to the top in sport. Some of the mares that were judged "ideal" never ended up producing anything. A mare, if we are lucky, only produces one foal a year and it takes another 5-6 years minimum until performance potential for the top levels can be assessed on the offspring. Assembling a top-producing herd with "ideal" mares takes decades, that's why top quality mares are so valuable AND held in the highest regard, not just in Holstein. Closely monitoring the mare lines in Holstein also comes from the fact that jumping ability is mainly passed down on the mare side and the Holsteiner is primarily a jumper breed.

Every breeder has their favorite dam line and mare - these stories and the educated gamble is whats so much fun in breeding. Here's the story of one of my fav mares:
    When I was in cllege, in 1989, at the farm where I was riding in Hungary, there was this really cool filly born, with super, very old Holsteinr lines (Merano-I X Aldato X Ramzes). I kept an eye on heer, but I came to the US a couple of years later. Back in 2001, I imported her, for a client as a broodmare. She was a former Nations Cup horse, but was in foal to a Dutch stallion. After the clients got the foal out of her, they asked me to sell her. So, I got her back in shape, sold her to a student and they had a successful partnership for years in the adult jumper division. With the recession full blown, and the owner not being able to ride much, I bought her back to the farm, bred her to my stallion, Lotus T (flushed an embryo out of her, then got her pregnant) and in the same year I took her to the Holsteiner approvals. At the age of 19, she became a 46-point premium mare and she received three 9s on her free-jumping (we ended up free-jumping her 5'). The German judge's comment was: "this is exactly the type of mare we are looking for". After both the recip mare and this mare foaled, we discovered she had a granulosa tumor on her ovary, so at the age of 20 and 21 she went back into sport, taking care of some hunter and jumper students. This year (with the diseased ovary removed), I am anxiously waiting to breed her again... and starting the currently 2 YO offspring of hers.

I see your point, Andras. However, I was merely asking for the a photo of the ideal prototype for the Holsteiner breed. We all understand the pros and cons of breeding and how often things don't turn out in spite of the research, money and effort. It goes without saying that the ideal type mare may not produce the ability. However, we all must use a baseline and by breeding good mares, with proven pedigrees and type, you must agree one has more opportunity of producing a foal that will excel or at least do well in the sport intended. There has to be some planning and methodology involved. Why else would one even keep a registry and record of pedigrees and sports successes? Each registry has a prototype they wish to achieve, which is why there are inspections to help the breeders to reach those goals. As time goes by and a certain type or pedigree isn't working, they can be tweaked as well. There are matches on paper that won't necessarily prove out in the flesh and vice versa. We all know the components are each as important as the other -- conformation, pedigree, ability, gaits, temperment and records of the ancestors and how they seem to match up. That's why we all ask and burn the midnight oil prior to making that all important breeding decision. I'm simply interested in seeing an example of what the Holsteiner breeders would call their "ideal" in type. It was never meant to insinuate that is all there is to it. Happy Easter!
    PennyG

Quote Originally Posted by omare View Post
    Here are some pretty young girls-different ones may appeal to different tastes. (And of course it does not show have atheletically they move. :-))

http://www.holsteiner-verband.de/cms....php?idcat=219
    Nordfriesland= YUMMMM
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhawk View Post
    I'll answer that for ya Penny.

She is Acodetto / Lord / Masetto / Ramiro stamm 776. She was the reserve champion mare in Holstein year before last. She makes the 5th States Premium mare in a row in the line.
    Wow, who was champion

Quote Originally Posted by Coppers mom View Post
    Wow, who was champion
    A mare by the VERBAND stallion Con Air. Everyone was in agreement that the 2nd place Acodetto / Lord mare was the best.

Quote Originally Posted by RyTimMick View Post
    Oh my... She is glorious!

Sue
    "Horsemanship is not merely a matter of bodily skills, but is based on scholarship and, therefore, is a matter of the mind and intellect." Charles de Kunffy

http://www.equiimages.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhawk View Post
    A mare by the VERBAND stallion Con Air. Everyone was in agreement that the 2nd place Acodetto / Lord mare was the best.
    I'm SHOCKED to hear that you believe politics could enter in judging a horse show!